Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Fire Team» Forums » General

Subject: Fire Team --- confused... missing units? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Dean Naval Warfare Simulations / Tactical Warfare Simulations (Land/Air Combat)
United States
flag msg tools
:what:

Ok.. you look at the combat charts and you see references to the T-72 and M-60 tanks .. eh.. where are they in the rules or on the counters? Can't exactly use M1s, T-80s, or T-62s as they would have different armor ratings, etc. This also leaves a significant gap between the technology of the T-80s and T-62s.

I have not found any variants or scenarios that use M-60s or T-72s yet either. Is there some optional rule I am not seeing yet that use them? Any stats for custom counters or modifiers?

Would seem rather odd to leave out two of the more prominent combat vehicles from the game when covering the 1980s.

Another oddity.. no AP factors for the APCs (BTR-70s and M-113s). Now the HMGs may not penetrate the fronts of IFVs but they could damage them from the sides or rear shots and or other APCs.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not looked at this game in year. However, I have a new opponent and he is interested in this game and I think this one is next or nearly next after we finish playing Soldiers a few times. I can discuss this issue with him when and if we get to Fire Team - My health and our schedules and the enormous pile of games we also want to play will wreak havoc on the schedule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, no units for T-72s or M-60s. had the game developed into a series, as hoped, they probably would have appeared. You could interpolate using the data cards in MBT if you wanted to design your own.

If you want to use the MGs on M113s, treat it as infantry fire using the "infantry versus vehicles" rule (6.34). If you are really trying to manoeuvre for a rear shot using an M113, you are really in trouble...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dean Naval Warfare Simulations / Tactical Warfare Simulations (Land/Air Combat)
United States
flag msg tools
Martin Gallo.. damn that name sounds awful familiar.. ;)

To DP.. .50s are still better then shooting 5.56 or 7.62 at a silly BMP or BTR especially if you can ambush them. ;) If nothing else they can foul up ATGM launchers, viewports, sights, etc.. but side and rear shots could damage the vehicle at shorter ranges and BMP-1s proved vulnerable to HMGs during the Soviet Afghan War.

Good idea about the Inf vs Veh. rule though, could bump that rule up to a possible damage hit.

Odd though as Fire Team seems to be a reasonably good game design. Kind of weird to not have M-60s and T-72s by default vs T-62s and only M1s. The US Army had a heck of a lot more M-60A3s in the field at the time vs the newish M1s and T-62s were for 2nd rate units and far outclassed by the more successful T-72s.

BTW, keep watch.. we have 2 modern land combat wargames in the works, one or both will be published by the end of this year - professional printed productions..;)

Thanks guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warship NWS wrote:
Martin Gallo.. damn that name sounds awful familiar..

Yours too. What the heck are you doing messing around with land ships and paper?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
martimer wrote:
Warship NWS wrote:
Martin Gallo.. damn that name sounds awful familiar..

Yours too. What the heck are you doing messing around with land ships and paper?

Been a wargamer since the late 1970s - board and PC. My favorite topics are naval and modern land combat.

We are working on Modern Naval Conflicts and Modern Armored Conflicts right now;

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/2358

I have a 3rd board game I am working on presently also covering modern land combat - not named yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Maidhof
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Better late than never, while I have no T-72 counter, there is at least two M60A3 counters still in the counter sheet of the copy that I have in my possession (a loaner from the game club).

Front M60A3:

Upper Left: 12/9

Upper Right: 8
8 (this 8 is below the first 8)

Lower Right: 7

Lower Left: Unit Designation

Rear M60A3:
3CP (cost if lost)

Front / Flank
HV 8 / 3

HT 4 / 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.