Sherwood» Forums » Rules

Subject: How do you count the VPs for Justice reward? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michal B
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're not sure how to count the victory points for placing pawn on a town during the Justice type reward...
Do you add +1 point for the nearest neighbors only or for all the 'network' ? How do you add +1 point for connection to Nottingham?
Example: (click the image to remind the gameboard)

Let player already occupy Annesley + Doncaster + Edwinstowe + Inglewood (as result of several previous game turns). Now he places his another pawn on Farnsfield.
That scores +1 VP for Farnsfield (the new town) +2 VP for Edwinstowe & Inglewood (two nearest occupied neighbors).
The questions are:
1. would the player add +2 VP for Annesley & Doncaster (no direct neighbors, but reachable by an uninterrupted road network from the new pawn on Farnsfield) or not ?
2. would the player add +1 VP for connecting the Nottingham even if there is no direct road between the new town (Farnsfield) and N. or not?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Vensko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get that this way. You get 1 point for one new city, +1 for every city in connected network (no matter how deep it is), +1 if the network is connected to Nottingham

The real problem is final score calculation via King Richard card. I'm not sure how this one _should_ work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Myszak,

This would be worth 6 pts. 1 for the new town, 4 for the towns already in that network. And 1 point because the networks neighbors Nottingham via Inglewood.

VDmitry,

The King Richard card scores like this:

Pick your largest network, add 1 popularity for every figure in this network. Multiply that number by 1.5 and round up.

(The rules say that it is 1 for each town in the longest network of towns and score for nottingham if you are connected. as nottingham is a city and not a town, it scores only once in this scoring if connected.)

There is one piece of clarification needed here.

If my chain is X - X - N - X - X - X,

Do I score 6 (4*1.5) or 9 (6*1.5) points?
Does Nottingham help join 2 different networks of towns?

I'll post here if I find that answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Vensko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for quick answer but I have found an answer for scoring - there is French translation here which is GREAT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which of my two options were correct? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Vensko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither. Did you look at French translation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I had not, I did not realize it was a english translation from the french. I'll check that. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that is very different. Is one of these "correct"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Vensko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you ask somehow different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which rule set is correct?

The english rules or the french translation?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Vensko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No one knows. Still I like French more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played with both? I am planning on playing tomorrow and don't know which one to go with.

I think I like the sound of the French rules more. One question about it though:

Does your network include Nottingham at the end? Or only if you won Strength, Dexterity, or Cunning in the last round?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Vensko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much. Still I can't understand how English (and russian) end scoring works. As printed in rulebook I see no sense.

I use French rulebook scoring which (if i remember correctly) does no score Nottinghem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems the key scoring difference is in the penalty for high discretion on the last turn. In the French, you add more of your band to prison, losing you that many extra points (and includes some way to account for having too many people in prison during the game as one.) In the English you don't score at the end if your discretion is too high.

For somebody who gets King Richard at the end:
In the French, you score 1.5 times your largest network.

In the English, you score 2.5 times your largest network (including nottingham, if connect).

or, if high in discretion, you score 1.5 times your largest network (including nottingham, if connected).

Those who don't have King Richard:
In both French and English, you score 1 times your largest network. (if high in discretion in the english version, you score 0.)

I think I understand mechanically how both games work. The intent and implications of each scoring I don't fully understand though. I do feel the rulebook "make sense" as far as knowing how to proceed, as for "why?" is unclear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Vensko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you notice that French edition allows to score for King even for 3 different players, each one then gets x0.5?

English edition makes no reason to do not send every hero last round (at least I think so), what I do not get. French edition makes more sense with general mechanic of the game - you have a choice what to send (if any).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in the last round, 2 other rewards will likely be available. It seems far to make King Richard worth 1.5 your best route so that it is likely better than any of the other rewards which could possibly score one route (depending on the specific reward).

After this scoring, everyone scores their best route (the person with the King Richard reward might score a bonus point if connected).

If you played too many cards at the end you end up with high discretion and as a result you lose the points that you just scored for your best route.

Now to your comment about sending every person:

Scenario 1, you win everything. This results in you scoring 1.5 times your best network at the end of the game. Everyone else scores 1 times their best network.

Scenario 2, you win King Richard and Discretion. This results in you scoring 1.5 times your best network. Anyone else who won a reward may score their a network in the card depending on the location of the cities. Then everyone else scores 1 times their best network. (so possibly somebody else scores 2 times their network while you score 1.5 times here.)

Scenario 3, you lose king richard but win in discretion and something else. You score 1 times a network, which may or may not be your best. The person who won king richard scores 1.5 times best network and 1 times best network at the end. (you fall way behind here.)

So the answer, if you sending too many people keep your higher than other peoples discretion but not all the other traits, it will backfire.

Does that make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Vensko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In French edition only King card is played during last round. Any other discarded. Players bid for King for all 3 positions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those comment were meant for explaining the English edition.

I understand that only the King card is played in the last round of the french edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Vensko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, that backfire could happen but unlikely. So I prefer French.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me a blend would be nice. I like the idea of including the other cards during the turn the King Richard comes out. So my preference would likely be this:

Score as described in the english version with the exception of the discretion. I would just score discretion as described in the French edition to account for players in prison.

I don't really like the thought the multiple people can win King Richards favored when nothing else in the game is shared.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.