United States
Lewiston
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Alrighty,

Still after only playing a couple rounds with my wife under my belt, I do have some more newb, questions, and I figure it'd be easier to ask as I'm sifting through some cards here...

OK I'm looking at Targaryzen deck here. All from the Core Deck. My comments are in bold.

1 - Viserys Targaryen

Response: Save Viserys from being killed or discarded from play, then return him to his owner's hand.

Initially I had the question, wouldn't the only owner be myself, but I essentially, because you are allowed to play cards of another house, someone else that's playing say, Stark, or even another Targaryen Deck, could play this.

2 - Eastern Fiefdoms

Limited. Marshalling: Kneel the card to lower the cost of the next "dragon symbol" card you play by phase 1.

So this means, during marshalling, if I wanted to take advantage of the cards text abilities, I must kneel this card. And because I could still be marshalling cards here as I'm in that phase, the next card that is a targaryen house card I could bring it from my hand into play, by 1 less cost?

2a - On another note, what if my next card were to be a card with two houses on it? Are the cards that have two houses on it affected by in card text such as Eastern Fiefdoms, that have the dragon (targaryen) symbol on it?

3 - No specific card. I recall reading on the forums here that you can put attachments on locations? Is this true? What if the card says, attached character gets -2 strength, like poisoned wine. I'd think that that card specifically could only be played on a character.

4 - Event Cards. Can I play an event at any time, no matter what phase, as long as it's in my hand? As as long as it blatantly does not say, ...during marshalling...

5 - I'm still a bit confused by in game text.

Is in game text cumulative? What I mean is, say I have a bunch of locations out in play, I am constantly scanning these texts to see what benefit I wish to use, right? So like if Location A is just in my play area, and so is Location B,C,D. As long as their is not a explicit phase I get the benefit on, all those cards effects I can use?

What are the passive effects? I'm still a little confused also by response cards?

6 - Bodyguard card.

Lord or Lady character only. Limit 1 per character.

Response: Discard bodyguard from play (cannot be saved) to save attached character from being killed or discarded from play.

So with this card, I can attach this to a Lord or Lady only. And only 1 of these cards per character. I wouldn't want to attach this to a house card or location. Then if that character gets killed, I discard this card attachment and that character, if my opponent says, I want to kill that character. Now does the attachment get kneeled with the character or is it just in the play area sitting there? Like can I have a character be kneeling to participate in a battle and then if my opponent says, I want to kill this person, can I say, nope, can't kill 'em, I have this bodyguard card on it, So what I'm saying is, does this attachment have to be attached to a character before the challenge phase, or can I willy nilly decide when to throw the attachment on. So if someone can explain about attachments, that'd be great. And does this card apply just to military challenges, or all challenges.

7 - Daario Naharis

At the beginning of the dominance phase, discard 1 gold from any players pool or discard him from play.

So say I had him in a challenge and challenge phase is done and he is still kneeling, do I get to use the in card text, such as discard one of my opponent's gold? Or does he have to be standing for me to use the effects.

I think that's all for now. Thanks for the courteous replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schroeder
United States
Lewiston
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
also, I'm looking at some plot cards here,

Herding the Massed.

Non-unique characters cannot be declared as defenders.

I was going to say, well why would I play this card and hurt myself, but I'm assuming that the text of this plot card effects all players? So in general a card like this, would effect all players unless specifically states do to something else to a particular character...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mike6423 wrote:
1 - Viserys Targaryen

Response: Save Viserys from being killed or discarded from play, then return him to his owner's hand.

Initially I had the question, wouldn't the only owner be myself, but I essentially, because you are allowed to play cards of another house, someone else that's playing say, Stark, or even another Targaryen Deck, could play this.

The text is specific to prevent a case where another player (Player B) might take control of Viserys, kill him, use his ability to take him into Player B's hand. I'm not sure if there's any current ability that would let you do that, but the designers try to prevent any case where a card belonging to one player winds up in another player's deck, hand, or discard pile.

Effectively, this card draws a line between "controller" and "owner." Control may shift. Ownership will not.

Quote:
2 - Eastern Fiefdoms

Limited. Marshalling: Kneel the card to lower the cost of the next "dragon symbol" card you play by phase 1.

So this means, during marshalling, if I wanted to take advantage of the cards text abilities, I must kneel this card. And because I could still be marshalling cards here as I'm in that phase, the next card that is a targaryen house card I could bring it from my hand into play, by 1 less cost?

Yes. This is a common "discount" card; all the houses have them. As an action, you kneel the card. Then, the next house card you play costs one less. You can kneel multiple "discount" locations successively in order to combine the discount.

Quote:
2a - On another note, what if my next card were to be a card with two houses on it? Are the cards that have two houses on it affected by in card text such as Eastern Fiefdoms, that have the dragon (targaryen) symbol on it?[/b]

Any card with a House symbol in the upper right hand corner is consider to belong to that House for all game purposes. If a card has two house symbols, it effectively belongs to both houses, and is considered a member of each of those houses for all in game effects.

So in this case, the other house symbol doesn't matter. If it has a dragon, it's a Targaryen, and can be discounted by eastern fiefdoms.

Quote:
3 - No specific card. I recall reading on the forums here that you can put attachments on locations? Is this true? What if the card says, attached character gets -2 strength, like poisoned wine. I'd think that that card specifically could only be played on a character.

Each house has a single location (Such-and-Such's "Chambers") which can either be played as a location or an attachment. It functions the same either way, but if you're playing against a player with good location control/destruction, you'll probably want to play it as an attachment. If you're playing against a Targaryen (Dragon) player, who has good attachment control, you'll probably want to play it as a location. It's unlikely to matter either way.

There are some other attachments in the chapter packs (White and Black Ravens spring to mind) that are specifically intended to be attached to a house card, but unless it is stated explicitly on the card, attachments are only attached to characters.

Quote:
4 - Event Cards. Can I play an event at any time, no matter what phase, as long as it's in my hand? As as long as it blatantly does not say, ...during marshalling...

Short answer: Yes. If it says "Any Phase" you can play it at any time. If it says "Challenges" you can play it at any time during the Challenges phase. If it says "Dominance"... etc. If it says "Response" you can play it whenever the trigger occurs.

Long answer: Look at the flowchart on page 18 of the AGoT FAQ. This should resolve any lingering confusion on the timing of actions.

Quote:
5 - I'm still a bit confused by in game text.

Is in game text cumulative? What I mean is, say I have a bunch of locations out in play, I am constantly scanning these texts to see what benefit I wish to use, right? So like if Location A is just in my play area, and so is Location B,C,D. As long as their is not a explicit phase I get the benefit on, all those cards effects I can use?

What are the passive effects? I'm still a little confused also by response cards?

It will be difficult to explain this without specific examples. I'll try to provide a few:

If you have the Winterfell Castle location in play, all your Stark characters get +1 STR.

If you have the Kennel Master Stark character in play, he gets +1 STR for each direwolf in play.

If you have both of these cards in play, and two direwolves are in play, the Kennel Master has a cumulative +3 STR (+1 for Winterfell Castle, +2 for his own ability).

So yes, card effects are cumulative. Static effects are always on, and are cumulative.

Quote:
6 - Bodyguard card.

Lord or Lady character only. Limit 1 per character.

Response: Discard bodyguard from play (cannot be saved) to save attached character from being killed or discarded from play.

So with this card, I can attach this to a Lord or Lady only. And only 1 of these cards per character. I wouldn't want to attach this to a house card or location. Then if that character gets killed, I discard this card attachment and that character, if my opponent says, I want to kill that character. Now does the attachment get kneeled with the character or is it just in the play area sitting there? Like can I have a character be kneeling to participate in a battle and then if my opponent says, I want to kill this person, can I say, nope, can't kill 'em, I have this bodyguard card on it, So what I'm saying is, does this attachment have to be attached to a character before the challenge phase, or can I willy nilly decide when to throw the attachment on. So if someone can explain about attachments, that'd be great. And does this card apply just to military challenges, or all challenges.

1. You can't attach Bodyguard to a House card or location. Unless an attachment specifically says, attachments may only be placed on characters.

2. When you attach Bodyguard to a character, place Bodyguard under the character, so the text shows.

3. If that character is killed or discarded, before you physically place it in the dead or discard pile, you may trigger the bodyguard response. Discard Bodyguard from play (put it in your discard pile). The character is "saved" (is not discarded or killed).

4. You would only trigger the effect of Bodyguard AFTER the character had been targeted for destruction or kill card. Bodyguard's ability is a "response," and the trigger for the "response" is the killing or discard of the attached character.

5. Since Bodyguard is discarded after the response takes place, you can only use this ability once.

Quote:
7 - Daario Naharis

At the beginning of the dominance phase, discard 1 gold from any players pool or discard him from play.

So say I had him in a challenge and challenge phase is done and he is still kneeling, do I get to use the in card text, such as discard one of my opponent's gold? Or does he have to be standing for me to use the effects.

Unless the card specifically states otherwise, all card text, traits, and abilities are effective regardless of whether the card is standing or kneeling. So yes, regardless of whether Daario is kneeling or standing, his ability is still active.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schroeder
United States
Lewiston
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mike6423 wrote:
Alrighty,

Still after only playing a couple rounds with my wife under my belt,...

Oh, I can't resist. Um - isn't that a rather uncomfortable way to play?

(sorry)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schroeder
United States
Lewiston
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL, I guess it would be. Whoops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one quick comment to address something that wasn't answered.

"So what I'm saying is, does this attachment have to be attached to a character before the challenge phase, or can I willy nilly decide when to throw the attachment on."

Cards, other than event cards, can only be played during the Marshalling phase unless the card says otherwise. So, to answer your question, you can only play Bodyguard during the Marshalling phase, not during the Challenges phase to save a character who is about to be killed.

An example of an attachment that can be played outside the Challenges phase would be Rusted Sword ("Attached character gets +2 STR and gains a Military icon") which says "Any Phase: Kneel 1 influence to attach Rusted Sword from your hand to a character you control." As long as you have 1 standing influence, you can play Rusted Sword during the Marshalling phase as a surprise against an opponent who has finished declaring attackers or defenders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffk wrote:
As long as you have 1 standing influence, you can play Rusted Sword during the Marshalling phase as a surprise against an opponent who has finished declaring attackers or defenders.

I think you meant "Challenges" phase. Or any phase.

I never realized how good that card was.

Away!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldil wrote:
I think you meant "Challenges" phase. Or any phase.

I never realized how good that card was.

Away!

Oops! Good catch! I did indeed mean the Challenges phase (or Any phase, although it's most effective in the Challenges phase during the player action window after your opponent kneels his characters for a challenge).

And, yes, Rusted Sword is pretty good since it can be effectively played as an event that gives a permanent +2 STR boost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.