Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Feel free to ignore me.

I just hate it when I click on a link within BGG, even a link to something I am subscribed to and follow, and it takes me there via Geekdo instead of BGG.

When that happens, I'm not logged in and my default settings are not used. Is there any reason why Geekdo doesn't recognize my BGG login? Its the same damn site, with a different name. Its annoying to have to change settings two different places and log-in two different places for the same thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
Where is this happening? if you are logged in via boardgamegeek, and are clicking on a link on boardgamegeek, the link should generally take you to another boardgamegeek page, unless someone has included a link in a forum post and copied the entire url (with geekdo).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
Where is this happening? if you are logged in via boardgamegeek, and are clicking on a link on boardgamegeek, the link should generally take you to another boardgamegeek page, unless someone has included a link in a forum post and copied the entire url (with geekdo).

Which is very commonly what people are doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use Firefox or Chrome there are a couple of workarounds in this thread:

BGG2Geekdo Firefox Addon - Fix links to boardgamegeek.com on geekdo.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
cornjob wrote:
dakarp wrote:

Which is very commonly what people are doing.

For some perspective: I am equally annoyed when this happens in the other direction.

It's usually not a problem, except for when I find that I am not logged in at boardgamegeek.com.

For now it looks like the only solution is to increase awareness of the Insert Geek Link function.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathan can only fix so many.
Re: 40 Lot auction (Elfengold, Upfront/Banzai, Wiz War expansion #2, Big Kini + Expansion + 35 more). many bids still at $1. Closes 5/16.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
mbmbmbmbmb

At home, I just stay logged into both, and it doesn't bother me when I get linked away from whichever one I started on.
However:

Boardgamegeek.com is blocked at my place of work.
Geekdo.com is not.

Whenever someone links to boardgamegeek.com, I have to manually edit it to the geekdo address in order to see the page. It's not that big of a deal once you get used to it.
Where I get really frustrated is with File downloads. All the files seem to be stored at files.boardgamegeek.com, regardless of which site you're coming from, so I can't download files at work, at all. If that was fixed, I'd be a happy, happy man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, its not an issue at home. But any other computer (work, traveling, etc) and it happens.

Maybe some useful distinction is lost on me....but why are there two identical sites with separate log-ins?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Earls
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird, when i go to either site, it shows I'm logged in. And I have never been to Geekdo until this post/thread. Or at least on purpose. I'm using Firefox.

On a second note, the sites look exactly the same on my page and have my settings from BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
dakarp wrote:
Where is this happening?

From within your very ranks. Octavian sent me a geekmail with a forum thread link, and it shuttled me off to geekdo as a mere stranger, not signed in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's a technical issue. Cookies are issued by a domain, aka boardgamegeek.com or geekdo.com. This is a security issue obviously, as you wouldn't want most sites to set cookies which affect the behavior of other sites. However, it's a pretty easy fix: login to geekdo and boardgamegeek. Normally the cookies we set are permanent anyway (unless you're cleanin' 'em out) so it'll just show you logged in (with all settings) regardless of where you are... The underlying systems are completely the same, so subscription counts and such work across conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
If you use Firefox or Chrome there are a couple of workarounds in this thread:

BGG2Geekdo Firefox Addon - Fix links to boardgamegeek.com on geekdo.com

I didn't see anything there that I could use. I want to stay on BGG, not switch everything to Geekdo. I have no idea what Greasemonkey is, and couldn't figure out how to make use of the script someone wrote.

Call me computer illiterate. My occupation does not involve knowing how to program anything more complicated than a statistics spreadsheet.

Yes, I can keep the log-in for both in the cookies at home. But on other computers its always requiring a double log-in. I guess I'm annoyed at having to go into the Geekdo front page and re-enter all of my prefs, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this has been mentioned - but the only difference between the sites is the domain name. Your account is the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
cornjob wrote:
Yes, I can keep the log-in for both in the cookies at home. But on other computers its always requiring a double log-in. I guess I'm annoyed at having to go into the Geekdo front page and re-enter all of my prefs, too.

Sorry Chester, I don't get it. I'm truly not being dismissive. I have the same issue, altho I tend to use geekdo.com. It should be a one-time deal for any computer you use semi-regularly... The cookie will be there forever. I'm sorry it's not workin' out for ya tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
derk wrote:
cornjob wrote:

Sorry Chester, I don't get it. I'm truly not being dismissive. I have the same issue, altho I tend to use geekdo.com. It should be a one-time deal for any computer you use semi-regularly... The cookie will be there forever. I'm sorry it's not workin' out for ya tho.

There are probably 50 different computers at the hospital I might be sitting at during a given day. Obviously, I'd prefer not to stay logged on at any of them. I'm sure I'm not the only person who doesn't frequently use a home-base computer all day. The one at my desk (on days when I'm AT my desk) isn't a problem, nor my home.

But I'm already having to log on once in order to access the site from one of these. Having to do it again at random intervals is noticeable, and irritating.

Maybe its just me. I guess I really don't see the advantage....or any purpose whatsoever, to having duplicate log-ins for essentially the same site. It just feels like a system set up to irritate me, best I can tell. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Not sure if this has been mentioned - but the only difference between the sites is the domain name. Your account is the same.

Yes, then why if I log onto one, does it not recognize me as logged on to the other? Its the same password.

Also...the account doesn't seem to be EXACTLY the same, since Geekdo doesn't conform to the preferences I've set up in BGG. Maybe I'm missing something, but I think I could set up entirely different preferences between the two domains, for my same log-in. Otherwise, I really have no clue as to why the font gets all tiny when I log in to Geekdo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
For now it looks like the only solution is to increase awareness of the Insert Geek Link function.

Ok: I'm back to my old überbadge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
True dat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
There are probably 50 different computers at the hospital I might be sitting at during a given day. Obviously, I'd prefer not to stay logged on at any of them. I'm sure I'm not the only person who doesn't frequently use a home-base computer all day.

Are the USB ports enabled on these computers? If so then perhaps FireFox Portable would work for you? It's a version of firefox bundled with a portabled apps launcher and specially setup to run from a USB thumb drive so that all settings are stored to the thumb drive such as book marks and cookies. That way if you used it instead of the web browsers on the 50 odd machines, you could stay logged in, but also be secure since the login cookie would be stored only on your thumb drive which you would keep on your person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
cornjob wrote:
There are probably 50 different computers at the hospital I might be sitting at during a given day. Obviously, I'd prefer not to stay logged on at any of them. I'm sure I'm not the only person who doesn't frequently use a home-base computer all day.

Are the USB ports enabled on these computers? If so then perhaps FireFox Portable would work for you? It's a version of firefox bundled with a portabled apps launcher and specially setup to run from a USB thumb drive so that all settings are stored to the thumb drive such as book marks and cookies. That way if you used it instead of the web browsers on the 50 odd machines, you could stay logged in, but also be secure since the login cookie would be stored only on your thumb drive which you would keep on your person.

Cool thanks. Most of these are "portals" and not true work-stations, but I'm pretty sure there are USB ports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
...and once again, Jeremy wins "The Smartest Guy in the Room Contest"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same problem as Chester. Additionally, when I am already signed in to BGG in a tab, and I click a link back to BGG in another tab, it takes me to geekdo and doesn't recognize that I am already signed in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I really didn't follow that, Chris...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, let me give a specific example. Using tabbed browsing in Firefox, I have BGG opened in a tab and I am logged in. I have Boards and Bits open in another tab. As I consider games on B&B, I click a link to the game's page on BGG. It brings me to geekdo, not as a logged in member, but as a visitor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Assuming you're using the same computer over and over, then you simply need a geekdo.com cookie, and you're golden...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.