Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thales Martins
Brazil
Florianópolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, I am about to buy the AH edition because it takes less time to play, but I would like to have the option to play the Columbia’s edition as well, so my question is……

What is the difference, besides the rules, from each game?

What I am trying to know is if I buy the Columbia Blocks, and get the rules, the rest is the same? Or the Battleboard is different?

If the answer is NO, what else do I need, and Where could I find it???

Thanks guys….

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Columbia game has many more blocks.

What I did was to buy the Columbia edition, buy some extra blocks, then sticker the blocks (you'll find the AH edition block graphics in the BGG game page). That way, I can play either 2nd or 3rd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thales Martins
Brazil
Florianópolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the blocks is the only difference, the Board Map, battle board are the same?
And there are no cards in Columbia's edition???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thalescnm wrote:
So the blocks is the only difference, the Board Map, battle board are the same?
And there are no cards in Columbia's edition???

There are no cards in either edition.

The AH version has a mounted map, the Columbia map is basically the same (I believe there is one change on where a river flows) but is somewhat larger. The AH edition and the Columbia edition change the numbers of turns and what proportion of the turns are night turns.

All this has to do with the increased number of blocks. The AH version each block represents about half a corps (2 divisions) while the Columbia version breaks out the order of battle explicitly by division.

The battle rules are a little simpler in the Columbia version, I always found the AH edition battle procedure a little confusing to explain to people. All-in-all, while still not perfectly clear, the rules in the newer game are much cleaner.

Basically the changes are extensive enough that the two games should be considered different games on the same topic. They have a different feel. Opinions are mixed on whether the new game is an improvement, but everyone agrees they are different.

The old AH game may be too hard for the French to win between experienced players, as the Allies can delay too easily. The newer game, especially if played with the historical or semi-historical setup, which is what I would recommend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might add that there are a couple of "road" changes on the maps too. Click here for the original post about the map change and scroll to the bottom. I could not find what he was talking about in his last paragraph about Renaix and Oudenarde.

Jim

davidmihola wrote:
Pz V wrote:
The roads (major/minor) and connections are identical as well.

Are you absolutely sure about that?

It looks like the roads from Thuin to Beaumont and to Charleroi are minor roads in the 2nd edition, while they are major roads in the 3rd edition. Also, in the 2nd edition there is no road from Thuin to Binche, while there is a minor one in the 3rd edition.

And - but this is probably irrelevant, if I remember the rules correctly - in the 2nd edition there are no rules from Renaix and Oudenarde to the edge of the board.

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff miller
United States
West Jefferson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The battle boards are different as well. I still use the older version with my Columbia version. If you can find a Gamma original I would definately recommend it for the quality of silk screened blocks alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.