Popular Tags: [View All]
William Bentley
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In celebration of knowing that I'll get the game before Christmas (P500!) and in gratitude that Ed makes this playable without the physical boxed game, I'm starting up an online moderated n00b game. Hop on this thread if you're interested and have never completed a game.
Online play will use ACTS for cardplay/die rolling and Cyberboard for board management. Prior use of either not required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Owens
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Canar
United States
Des Plaines
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested.

thx,
jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
interested

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Shaw
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reneer
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested as well, if you still need players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested, but never played a PBEM before, and I'd need some time to read up on the rules.
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
ca_squires wrote:
I'm interested, but never played a PBEM before, and I'd need some time to read up on the rules.
Chris

William is one of the more gracious moderators. He's already moderating a newb game that I am in. Highly recommended as a moderator.

Cheers.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mb
Interested. I'm currently playing one online game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff slaga
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested. I have Gamebox but have never played online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Owens
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might have enough for 2 games soon....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to join. I am playing Europa Universalis via ACTS & cyberboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bentley
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Including Paulo (who is in another game I'm kind of moderating), I count 10 people so far. Any others who want to play and or moderate? I'm going to need a second moderator if a second game is started. Or we can have a bunch of spectators.
If you haven't already, sign up for an ACTS account at:
http://acts.warhorsesim.com/newuser.asp

I'll look for your names on ACTS and send you email from that. If your ACTS login bears no relation to the name attached to this thread, then geek mail me an email address so I can get to you for further communications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Moneta-Koehler
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I am interested as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Foulke
United States
Bethel Park
PA
flag msg tools
Welcome to Friedey's!
badge
You want fries with that?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be glad to moderate a game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,
As I said, I am interested, but haven't played PBEM before. I downloaded Cyberboard and the board of HIS, I've checked out ACTS, but haven't got an account yet. I see what's going on, but I think I'm missing something.
I'm not sure how this all fits together to work smoothly, but I guess that's where experience comes in.
Got a few questions.
How long will this take, how much time is involved in the commitment, per day or per week?
I'm afraid that I'll get involved and wind up making a mess of it for the others that are involved.
Sounds kinda foolish, but I'd hate to be the one to throw the whole thing for 5 others, 6 if you count the mod.
Thanks
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Foulke
United States
Bethel Park
PA
flag msg tools
Welcome to Friedey's!
badge
You want fries with that?
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience the play of a card and the accompanying move on the board take about 15 mins. A PBEM group with a reasonable pace will have you make a move about once a day. You're typically expected to make your move within 48 hours, but sooner is obviously better.

If you have any curiosity at all, one of these n00b games is definitely the way to go. They're moderated, so you can ask questions, there aren't high expectations of competency, and if you decide it's not for you, the moderator can step in and play for you - at least until someone else can be found.

As for how it all fits together, you can get a first impression by looking at some logs in ACTS. There you'll see the cards that were played and the dice that were rolled. When you get an ACTS account and join a game, you'll be able to see your hand of cards. What's missing, though, is the board and pieces. That's where cyberboard comes in. Though people often play a PBEM game completely in cyberboard, it's possible to cheat (reloading until you get the dice rolls or card draws you want).

A typical move works like this:
Log in to ACTS, view your hand of cards, and select a card to play (as CPs or event). If your move requires the roll of dice, roll them in ACTS (you roll for yourself and your opponent at the same time to keep things moving). After seeing the results, you make your move in cyberboard, recording the move in a .gmv file that you will send to all other participants. When you receive one of these .gmv files, you replay it in your own cyberboard session so your board state is kept up to date with the other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bentley
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd second Andy's descriptions with the clarification that most PBEM games I've played see a move or two a day. With 6 players that means your power is up to play every three to 6 days. PBEM is ideal for new players, affords plenty of time to get familiar with rules and allows lots of time to strategize if you're so inclined.
The ACTS/CB interface for playing might seem awkward at first, but it isn't half as difficult as it might seem. You'll get the hang of it in short order.
Thanks Andy for offering to moderate one of the games. It looks like we're only 1 short of a second full game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reneer
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rievler wrote:
Including Paulo (who is in another game I'm kind of moderating), I count 10 people so far. Any others who want to play and or moderate? I'm going to need a second moderator if a second game is started. Or we can have a bunch of spectators.
If you haven't already, sign up for an ACTS account at:

I'll look for your names on ACTS and send you email from that. If your ACTS login bears no relation to the name attached to this thread, then geek mail me an email address so I can get to you for further communications.

Just created an account with my same username.

I am like most people here, who have no experience with this system. I have played Here I Stand a couple of times, and once with 2-players, but never on pbem - nor have I played any game via pbem.

How is the diplomacy phase expressed in this form of play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mb
Diplomacy works pretty well actually. Conversations are kept in private by email. Usually players determine a period of time for doing that (a couple of days is enough) and after that, by impulse order, each major power announces any agreements made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Madison
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested if you still need another...

Thx
John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bentley
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go so far as to say that the diplomacy phase is the greatest strength of PBEM. Without time pressures and no snooping or awareness of whom you are talking too, I think more intricate plans can be formulated and knowledge of player motivations, strengths and weakness can be gained.

I now count 11 interested. 6 per game is required, so 1 more is needed for a second game with Andy Foulke. However, spectators are certainly welcome and often needed to fill any absences if a player needs to drop out at some point. Spectators will get the base CB(.gam) file and will be able to follow along by getting the move files(.gmv) via email. They can query the moderator on rules and strategy as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bentley
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't find ACTS addresses for Tom Cannon, Stephen Shaw, C Squires, Jeff Slaga or John (Stroman). If you want in, sign up with ACTS at:
If you already have, I didn't find the email address attached. Please post it here or geek mail me for more privacy. Once I've got everyone we can move off BGG and start power selection.
There is still room for spectators/potential replacements in the two games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Madison
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, i've signed up with ACTS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.