Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: BGG Trade Feature rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally had a chance to use the trading feature that Aldie & Co. recently put into place--Thanks! It's quite nice and very useful. I do have one suggestion, though: change the word "Refused" to "Declined." Refused is such a strong word... I felt bad "refusing" a trade offer!

Keep up the good work, guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kerr
United States
arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Refused

We're all gamers here. Perhaps there can be a bidding element: 'kvn299 complains of the cost of board games and offers you a carcassonne expansion for your trade'.

Or a challenge: 'kvn299 will accept that trade if you can best him in a game of Euphrat and Tigris'

Or we can acknowledge the political season: 'kvn299 feels that offer would not be prudent at this time.'

Or just go with: 'kvn299 spits on your offer and laughs.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, two words for the same act. I would like Aldie to keep track of how many times people refuse trades and let people know who is more likely to make a trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heartbreak, you know, drives a big, black car. Swear I was in the backseat just minding my own..
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...
Refused is fine, though I think declined would be slightly better.

But I don't think a record of how many times you've declined trades would be useful. The right trades have to be offered before they can be accepted. Suppose you've declined five trades: maybe you're a cheap, greedy weasel who won't take the plunge unless you're screwing the other person; or maybe the trades were fair value-for-value but just not the right games at the right time.

Games are highly personal things that often have value beyond just the monetary. A record of trades declined, besides being statistically meaningless, might give some people a false view of another member and thus stifle trading with that person.

And remember, a thing is worth exactly what you are willing to give for it, no more, no less. As far as I'm concerned, if you reject a trade, your reason is valid. Period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
kaysville
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Screw PC Talk....REFUSED!
This reminds me of my trips to the video rental store only to be told that I have an "extended viewing fee". What the hell is that? It's a "Late Fee"....call it what it is. I find direct and insensitively blunt talk refreshing. Our language is being neutered by all of the PC niceity, nice, nice talk and I want to take a stand right here! Right now! Ball-up men and if you don't want a trade, refuse it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.