Popular Tags: [View All]
David Renaud
Canada
Mission
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, everyone.

After being coaxed into being Last Night on Earth and the Growing Hunger Expansion under the guise of cooperative play, only to open it and discover someone essentially has to be the Overlord, I'm considering looking into trading both game and expansion for a/some genuinely cooperative game(s). However, my wife and I are both concerned about getting scammed.

So I ask the Geek: Have you ever been scammed by the trade boards/marketplace? Are there any reliable methods of avoided such a fate? I ran a quick search for related material, but I couldn't find anything, barring "What to do if you're scammed."

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Never been scammed in 30ish transactions as a trader, buyer and seller. If you're really worried, only deal with people with positive trade or marketplace feedback, but I've dealt with new users on several occasions and still had no problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotta agree. this is a really good trading community. I've traded 20 or so games and only had a minor issue, which the guy fixed immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lo Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made around 200 trades, and in all that time, I've only been ripped off twice. That's a 99% success rate! Your best insurance is to trade with someone with a good track record of trading with good trade feedback. You can check people's trade feedback by going to their profile page - you'll see a hotlink to the feedback in the righthand frame of their page, in the lower half of it.

You also should not assume the condition of the other person;s game. Be explicit about the condition of your game and be specific in asking about the other's game. If you have requirements, such as needs to come from a smoke free home, make sure you make that clear!

If you have no or only a little trade feedback, you might want to offer to send your game first, since the experienced trader has nothing to go on but your word. I also strongly suggest that both parties agree to use tracking or delivery confirmation numbers - that way both parties can track the packages and see if they have been delivered.

Best of luck!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I understand how you were "scammed".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over 500 trades, only two disappointments. 0.4% failure rate is damn good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ned Ludd
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rathje wrote:
... I'm considering looking into trading both game and expansion for a/some genuinely cooperative game(s).

Despite the supportive statement above I would like to offer a contrary opinion.

You strike me as a cautious man - you are concerned about being ripped off and you didn't fill the city in your profile.

If you attempt a trade here is what will happen :

You will research the game and come up with the list of direct trades. May be you will include a few people who don't want what you have but have what you want and 'may be you'll get lucky'. You will then start sending the trade proposals od trade letters - one at a time, always one at a time. For an average BGG user with a good trade ratings 50% of offers will be ignored. No "yes" or "no", just dead silence.There are many threads condemning this behaviour but to no good end. However in your case the percentage will be much higher because A) you have no trade rating - some users here refuse to trade with newbies because the worry about, you guessed it, getting 'ripped off'. B) if you try to trade with the US a large number of people will not respond because they will not ship to Canada. There were numerous threads about that as well and they convinced no one. As a final touch, if someone does respond they WILL request that you 'send first', as in you send the game, they receive it, ascertain that all is well and only THEN send their game. I'm guessing you won't like that.

I would like to make a suggestion. Are there other BGGers in your city? Can you trade in person? Is there a friendly game store who can broker a trade? You can then enter it on BGG and presto, you have a rating. Have you considered math trades? Your trade rating will not count against you and a people have to state their shipping preferences and you'll have a choice of Americans who WILL ship to Canada. You have a popular game this might work nicely AND boost your trade rating since you automatically count two trades for each package you send.

Take care
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Over 600 trades and only one problem with a user with no trade rating.
Like the other here says, just check out the trade rating of whoever you are looking to trade with.
For the most part, BGG are a fairly dependable trading lot.
Good Luck,
-David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
over 150 trades for me and only one bad experience with a person misrepresenting the condition of a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gresch
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always search for people in the same city as you to do a local trade, it will save on shipping. But if your somewhere like Toronto this might be more difficult to arrange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.