Popular Tags: [View All]
The pirate's life for me!
United States
flag msg tools
pineapples are in my head
badge
"There is a Heppy Land Furfur A-waay"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently discovered this game on Webdiplomacy and Playdiplomacy. I need the real board game. I will never have another 6 people to play (let alone, say, 2 others) but I must have it for the sake of having it, and for setting up the board 4 times every day, just to stare at it.

I crave the little wooden blocks. Which version is that?

Thanks,
Kris24

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be the older "true Avalon Hill" version, or the Gibson's Waddington version, or the AH "Deluxe Diplomacy".

The metal big box AH-Hasbro versions are pretty nice as well. It's just the currently available version that sucks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Or the Games Research Inc edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Low
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
It's just the currently available version that sucks...
I'm familiar with several versions, and I take a somewhat different take. The current pieces suck, but the board isn't bad. The current board is decent.

My preference is in favor of map/board designs that have some color coding of national boundries. I find the absence of thick national boundries causes some people to ignore the historical boundries unless they are taking a supply center. For example, Austria and Russia do not have equal claim to place an army in Galacia. It starts as Austrian territory.

Best,
-Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kris2476 wrote:

I crave the little wooden blocks. Which version is that?

There are several, but in general you'll want one that's pre-1980. I'd try eBay. There's usually tons of them available, though I haven't checked lately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur with Greg, in that I also love the board of the latest Hasbro edition. But I do prefer to combine it with the metal guns and ships from the previous Hasbro edition, since the colours of those units match up nicely with the nation colours on the new map.

Long time ago I played this game with someone who owned what must have been the Philmar edition (UK): cute plastic coloured bullets (for armies) and ships. The colours of the units of that edition also matched the colours of the nations on its board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rnijholt wrote:
Long time ago I played this game with someone who owned what must have been the Philmar edition (UK): cute plastic coloured bullets (for armies) and ships. The colours of the units of that edition also matched the colours of the nations on its board.

Gibson/Philmar

I hate it. I grew up with Games Research. AH is okay, the Hasborg map is beautiful, but I hate the colorful map. It looks too gamey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The pirate's life for me!
United States
flag msg tools
pineapples are in my head
badge
"There is a Heppy Land Furfur A-waay"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen that version before, yeah. It looks silly.

I will agree that the 50th anniversary map is gorgeous. Unfortunately, I don't enjoy ebay buys, so I'll have to compensate.

I know the main complaint with the new flat cardboard pieces is that it's difficult to show support. Is the same image printed on the back as the front?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the 1976 bookcase version (AH) for trade. It has the gorgeous, very well polished(?) wooden pieces...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Schmidt
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
Kris2476 wrote:
I know the main complaint with the new flat cardboard pieces is that it's difficult to show support. Is the same image printed on the back as the front?

A little late to the thread here, but no, the image on the back is blank, featuring just the color of your Great Power.

A recommendation to use the traditional wooden pieces on this nice-looking board. AH/WotC should sell them separately if need be. The colors of the wood pieces really *pop* from the subdued background.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.