Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: The game is "dry".... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so a game is dry -- as opposed to what?

Wet?

Soggy?

Moist?

Alcoholic?

Although I myself have used the term, I wonder exactly what people mean when they say a game is "dry"....

Is it just a nice way to say boring?

Surely it must have a subtler meaning. Your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, as opposed to flavorful, thematic, juicy?
meeple

I suppose a game that is dry is serious and has no room for making funny faces and shouting "YARRRRR, MATEY!!!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me 'dry' means that the gameplay is almost clinical. The closer a game is to a pure mathematics problem, the drier it is. That's not to say that dry is necessarily BAD, it just is a way to describe what to expect when you open the box.

At least that's what I mean when I say it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dry to me means academic, like a textbook. Oftentimes dry games can be boring, but not always. Games that may as well be themeless are usually dry in my book too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Jason, do you call all abstract games dry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you guys consider the driest games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
"Dry" for me is a game where there is no enjoyment; not enough theme to engage the role-playing side of my brain, and the ratio of clarity (for the analytical side) to length (for my attention span) is too low.

Recent examples (and I may be branded a heretic) are Goa and St. Petersburg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Derscheid
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dry games
Medici is pretty dry. I love it, but hey, you can sit there and work it out.

Princes of Florence is on the dry side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rocchi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Call me a heretic too..
I guess a game could be said to be dry, when it's not dripping with theme. For me, that has to do with specifics; set in a specific time or place, pieces that look like something not just cubes, etc.. All the elements make the game evocative, lifting it from the mechanics.

For some reason Tigris and Euphrates bores me to tears. It's not that the board and bits aren't gorgeous, but they connect in no way to the so called "theme".

Games I like for theme: Princes of Florence, Samurai, St. Petersburg, and Attika.

Games I like with NO theme: Scrabble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan, Samurai seems like a pretty lightly-themed game for me.

Why do you think it is heavily themed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mb
I'm always amused by people who call Through the Desert dry. That's apropos, its in the desert!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, dry is a game that elicits almost no emotion from me when playing. I find some abstract games dry (Chess, I just can't seem to get into a game of chess) and some quite juicy (Go, Gipf). I find Hearts, Bridge, Gin Rummy and Uno dry, but Euchre and Up 10 down 10 are juicy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look in the glossary
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/gameglossary.htm

dry - adj. Overly mechanical or lacking in thematic elements.

So, the answer to abstract strategy is: Yes, it's dry. Unless you consider primary shapes a theme.

From now on it's just best if you look in the glossary. It's on the left bar. As you can see, 50 people will give you 30 different definitions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb

A dry game is one that is lacking theme. Instead of having an interesting premise and a lively style, the game plays more like doing your homework or chores instead of like playing video games or reading a good book.

Some people find games with lots of rules dry. But the volume of rules is not really part of the adjective dry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sommer
Denmark
copenhagen downtown
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a matter of taste
I guess it really it just a matter of taste , there can be no imperical defination of what "dry " means to you or me or her or him or them or us ..etc etc.

"One persons food is another persons poison" and other such homlies

Go get some like minded/tastewise geek buddies and use that analyze now button

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most people will tend to claim a game is dry if the group they play with isn't lively. Something like 6 nimmt, or pirates cove will have lots of verbal interaction. People will be laughing, and generally having a good time win or lose.

A dry game will have many quiet people studying the board. Not many jokes. More of an intellectual puzzle.

I like both styles at times, and can understand what others have against dry games, or overly lucky games.

I suppose with a certain group of people, any game could be considered dry, it's much more subjective than it's made out to be on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel V
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
ooo. ooo. I wanna Vote
Dry VS. Fruity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark, I was much more interested in people's individual definitions and perceptions of what they meant when they used the word "dry" than a glossary definition.

To all other commentors -- thanks, you've given me a lot to think about. I find it interesting that some people could say all abstracts are dry while others apply that to some abstracts while others. I find it interesting that dryness can involve a lack of luck or theme, or both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.