Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Trading Etiquette? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Wiki site FAQ it says:

Q: How do I trade a game with someone?
A: If the person has the game marked for Trade, then you should try to use his or her email address located in the owner's profile and see if you can make an offer for it. However, we don't encourage people to approach owners who haven't marked the game eligible for trading. You can also send them a message using the internal Board Game Geek messaging system.

Question - if I have followed the above procedure (using the BGG messaging system), and I have received no reply within a week or so - is it now OK to approach someone else with the same trading offer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't you make as many offers as you can and then close the deal with the first one who accepts or the one who gives you the best terms?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Holden
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being reasonable
I would think a week is fine; it would be a bad tempered Geek indeed who got huffy about that.

Though having said that, I once offered a large number of books free but for postage through an internet conference; the first reply I received asked for all of them, the second for one specific one. So I removed the specific one, sent the remainder off to greedy guy, who promptly threw a hissy fit because one was missing! Within a couple of months he was trying to sell a number of the remainder on the same conference at rather inflated prices (and failing, I'm pleased to say.)

Which just goes to show that some people will be offended and consider themselves hard done by whatever you do. So act in a way that seems reasonable to you and ignore any complaints

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tyler
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep trying
Derek,

During the last few months I've made about a dozen trades. Occasionally someone will reply the same day with an affirmative answer, but more often than not you will hear nothing, hear "no thanks", or receive a counter offer.

As suggested to improve your chances for success, make several offers and see who responds. I don't think anyone would be offended, unless you actually had agreed to a deal and then backed out of it.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No matter how great a deal you think person #1 got, it is inappropriate for you to change to terms of the deal unilaterally without telling the other person.

I read it as if each book was independent and not given away as a lot. Then one guy said, "I'll take all of them for free." He was mad that he didn't get ALL of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Holden
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They were offered independently. I told chappie that I was taking the one book out before sending them and before he had sent any money and he took the offer knowing the score then started bitching. His gripe was that his email to me preceded the second guy's therefore he was ENTITLED to ALL the books, since at the point when I received his email I hadn't promised any to anyone else.

Price you pay for dealing with strangers, basically. Joe is quite right in saying that an offer often looks quite different from the other side. And of course if someone doesn't get quite what they wanted in a deal they may feel badly treated regardless of how objectively fair the other person thinks they've been.

My point is that you can't always be sure that the other party won't feel aggrieved regardless of how reasonable you feel you're being, so sometimes you just have to adopt the thick skinned approach and not worry too much about feedback. Provided you are happy you're behaving properly of course!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.