Thumb up
1 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: A guide to Snookerolla Snookerooka rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barrie Kean
United Kingdom
East Yorkshire, England
flag msg tools
Here is a rough guide to the workings of my Board game Snookerolla Snookerooka. The game is based entirely on the logic of converting snooker from a game of skill into a game of chance, using 2 dice, and played for prize money. The main difference is that the coloured balls may be potted in any order, (this allows the game to flow better).
When I first invented the game, I expected that when playing it, I would feel a sense that I was actually playing snooker. However, my experience has led me to conclude that this is an independant game in its own right, which has its own character. Merely using the rules and components of snooker to create an exciting new game, offering unlimited sequences of chance. Throwing dice, scoring points, including all of the unexpected points you may gain from fouls, plus the Snookerooka rule, which gives players a second chance to win the prize money, all adds up to an exciting game which keeps the players attention.
Prize money is added to at the beginning of the game, and at various stages during the game, the result of which is that the players scoring the least, contribute the most to the prize money, and the player scoring most contributes the least, but stands to win the most. However, there is a twist near the end of the game, which is possible due to there being more than one table in play in the game. The player who finishes first only collects the prize money if they are also the highest scorer. If they are not, then they have been snookerooka'd, and a black roll game must take place between the player who finishes first, and the player with the highest score. They add to the prize money and then they have an equal number of throws a each other to throw a valid black, and collect the prize money. No more points are added to their scores during this roll-off, but if a player throws a foul, they add more to the prize money. Winning odds with 4 player are likely to be no more than 7 to 1. (More than 4 players can play if more than one board is used).
At the start of the game each player is given 12 tokens to use as prize money. Adults may substitute these if they wish for coins of their choice to turn the game into one of light gambling. This gives the playing of the game a more competative edge. However it is still a very exciting and interactive game if played by 4 people for fun.
The board is a manufactured vinyl board with holes to house the ball headed pegs which are used as snooker balls.
Each player uses two dice to play the game, both are thrown together. The first is a black dice. On 4 sides are red circles (these count as valid throws, and add 1 point to the value of the colour on the second dice, when reds are being cleared). When coloureds are being cleared the red on the first dice means only that it is a valid throw (only the value of the colour is added to the players score). On 1 side is a white circle. (this is a foul, and adds at least 4 points to the next players score, but 5,6 or 7 points if thrown with that colour on the second dice, when potting coloureds, and the coloured ball of that value remains on that players table). The sixth side remains blank (no score if this is thrown).
The second dice is a white dice with a circle on each side, 1 yellow, 1 green, 1 brown, 1 blue, 1 pink and 1 black, these have the same value as the balls in snooker, and add points of that value to the players score.
The name of the game is SNOOKEROLLA SNOOKEROOKA. The game is in the name. You roll the Snooker dice, and if you are first to finish but do not have the highest score, then you have been Snookerooka'd.
I hope you now have a greater understanding of the workings of my game. Copyright Barrie Kean. 2004.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.