Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BGG» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: New hex based modern war game for XBOX!!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tom glass
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I realize that BGG caters to an audience that in some cases play boardgames to get away from the glowing burn of technology, However, having just stumbled upon this latest game, I thought it offered enough to peak the interests of anyone who considers themselves a fan of the traditional wargaming genre.

Here is a preview of "Dai-Senryaku"

http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox/899/Dai-Senryaku-VII-Moder...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This kind of game is always better when played against another human being. It's like playing a wargame without the set up time or the bother of dice. I wonder if it'll support X-Box Live?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Isle
Wow, that looks great! I am a huge Advance Wars fan and played a ton of Battle Isle many years ago. But this one says 400 surprise different unit types. I am a junkie for this kind of turn-based strategy game.

Indeed, both AW and BI are great boardgames that allow you to play a detailed military conflict with many units, statistics, terrains, ammo, fuel, hit points, bases, airports, seaports, etc. without the hassle of tracking the info or rolling tons of dice. Well designed scenarios make the game fun to play against an unfortunately weak AI, but multiplayer on a big screen is just awesome. Only by virtue of their electronic medium are these games not on BGG, but I suspect any wargamer would drool once they got their head into either of these games.

I have the GameBoy Advance just to play Advance Wars 2, which is intricate and satisfying with only 20 different unit types. The Commanding Officers in AW2 are what makes the game so great for multiplayer, and keeps the battles fresh each new game. I suspect that with 400 different units and the flexibility of the XBOX, the scenarios for this game will be endless. With 400 different units you could probably make a scenario for every hex and counter wargame ever made. I hope it supports scripted events. I hope it has a scenario editor. I hope the game supports online play and PBEM, it's on the right platform for it.

I fear I may be forced into buying an XBOX for this game, although it would greatly increase my console game options.

Thanks for the heads up! Really, I'm excited about this game.

Can you tell?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other versions
I have the Dreamcast version and my friend has the Saturn version, I believe. It's a decent game and the the production values are usually quite high. The older versions came with very detailed guidebooks, art, and packaging (not the most important thing, obviously, but worth note).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
While we're speaking of hex-based console battle games... people here may be interested in the recent PS2 and Xbox title "Wrath Unleashed". It's basically the same concept as the 80's classic "Archon" and the PSX title "The Unholy War". Basically, a turn-based multiple-unit battle for control of a hex-grid territory, and when two opposing units enter the same hex a (usually lopsided) arcade battle ensues for the contol of the territory.

Honestly, I haven't played Wrath yet, but I played a fair amount of Archon and The Unholy War back in the day.

http://media.xbox.ign.com/media/017/017074/img_1897296.html

I understand the newest game in the Mortal Kombat series (Mortal Kombat Deception) has a mode called "Kombat Khess" that is also Archon-like (though played on a square-tile chessboard rather than a hex grid).

http://media.xbox.ign.com/media/657/657804/img_2280760.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real and Only
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I have been waiting for a console game like this, since super NES....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls