United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
I would like to announce "The Subdomain Project" (sorry - I don't have a better name for this)

We have turned over the calculation of subdomains to user polls.

Please help us categorize these games in the database by voting in the poll on the subdomain section of the game page. Please choose what you think best categorizes the game:

- Abstract
- Collectible
- Experience
- Family
- Kids
- Party
- Strategy
- Wargame

Thanks for the help in further categorizing the games on the site.

Update: You can use this link to vote in the polls from your collection page. Collection Subdomain Poll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loc Nguyen
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is an Experience subdomain?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there an official attempt at a definition of the line between kids games and family games, and between family games and strategy games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Da L0C wrote:

And don't categorize this one under "Kid's Games" or there will be an unexpected knock at your door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man. I think the poll just implied that Ameritrash games are not strategy games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
Is there an official attempt at a definition of the line between kids games and family games, and between family games and strategy games?
We're letting the users decide where the line lies, based on their votes.

If something gets a significant number of votes in more than one subdomain, it will be assigned more than one subdomain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Da L0C wrote:
"Experience" is for games like Descent, Fury of Dracula, Talisman, Munchkin, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexterity would be a good one as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think only allowing 1 choice is a bad idea. Games that are 75/25 might not even show the secondary subdomain. The poll should be checkboxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
Da L0C wrote:
"Experience" is for games like Descent, Fury of Dracula, Talisman, Munchkin, etc.
so for theme over substance or "ameritrash"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
I think only allowing 1 choice is a bad idea. Games that are 75/25 might not even show the secondary subdomain. The poll should be checkboxes.

I agree. For certain games these are not mutually exclusive in the slightest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Da L0C wrote:

I realize what the "experience" category is for, But why "experience"? Couldn't the great minds at BGG think up a better name? Or am I just missing something here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick the one that is the best fit. I believe we'll be taking split results of these single best fit choices into account.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Octavian wrote:
Pick the one that is the best fit. I believe we'll be taking split results of these single best fit choices into account.
I think ekted's point is, for games which are 75/25, there won't be a split, because 100% of the votes will be for the 75% category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
If a game is 75% a Kids game and only 25% a Party game (I could see Loopin Louie fitting this description) and as a result almost all the responses go in the Kids game category, then I think the system is working as intended. If something is 3 parts one category and only 1 part another then it probably should get slotted in the first category.

On the other hand, if there is a split in what people view as the dominant category, then that's a game that's really filling multiple niches, and we'll account for that.

I must say, however (and this is the most important point right now), this discussion is all theoretical until we've got a significant amount of actual data coming in to look at. If it looks like things need to be tweaked after we see the results coming in then we are certainly capable of tweaking them.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
Da L0C wrote:

I realize what the "experience" category is for, But why "experience"? Couldn't the great minds at BGG think up a better name?

Please do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
I must say, however (and this is the most important point right now), this discussion is all theoretical until we've got a significant amount of actual data coming in to look at. If it looks like things need to be tweaked after we see the results coming in then we are certainly capable of tweaking them.
You can't tweak bad data into good data. You have to start over with proper polls if you want good data. In the 75/25 example, you could get NO votes for the minor category. This is horribly skewed and unfixable. If you do it this way, the results are meaningless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As overheard at the all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet:

"Garbage in, garbage out!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse McGatha
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestion: It would be cool to be able to fill in the poll from your collection page. That would make it much easier to quickly classify all your games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
In the 75/25 example, you could get NO votes for the minor category.

I understand that. Indeed, I acknowledged that in my reply. The poll design is deliberate. We will have to agree to disagree about how meaningful the resulting data is.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielguy wrote:
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
Da L0C wrote:

I realize what the "experience" category is for, But why "experience"? Couldn't the great minds at BGG think up a better name?

Please do.

Adventure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really do not like the term 'Ameritrash'. I know that insiders know what it means, but it is a negative phrase*. Please try and find a positive expression to explain 'Experience' games**.

*Yes, its adopters revel in the supposed trashiness of their games, but that reflects the negative attitude of a vocal minority. Everybody else does not like trash. You can find a positive way of embracing your likes.

I don't think that labelling the games as 'Ameri-' is useful either, but it was meant as a counter to 'Euro-', so I'll let it slide.

**No, this is not meant to rake up old coals. I'm not happy with the Geek adopting this label in its structure. By all means, use it in the forums, but it's not an appropriate words to use in the DB. Like the word 'whore' which is bandied around too much here as well. Consider how outsiders view the site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
I really do not like the term 'Ameritrash'. I know that insiders know what it means, but it is a negative phrase*. Please try and find a positive expression to explain 'Experience' games**.

*Yes, its adopters revel in the supposed trashiness of their games, but that reflects the negative attitude of a vocal minority. Everybody else does not like trash. You can find a positive way of embracing your likes.

I don't think that labelling the games as 'Ameri-' is useful either, but it was meant as a counter to 'Euro-', so I'll let it slide.

**No, this is not meant to rake up old coals. I'm not happy with the Geek adopting this label in its structure. By all means, use it in the forums, but it's not an appropriate words to use in the DB. Like the word 'whore' which is bandied around too much here as well. Consider how outsiders view the site.

I actually posted a link to this site for one of my graduate studies professors. In the specific link, the word "Ameritrash" appeared. She wan't phased a bit by the term.

I really think it's an issue for a select few. Many who play Ameritrash revel in the term as if it were a badge of honor. I happen to be one of those who link the term to "pulp fiction" or 70's and 80's cheesy TV shows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel silverthorne
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to say, I think be able to select multiple categories would make the data far more useful, you can still take what ever the majority is, which won't probably alter many of them, but it would be very useful to see what other categories they fit into. I think many wargames for example could have decent strategy or Experience ratings, this could be analysed and actually be interesting. Anyway, at the moment I have a very bad feeling about all of this, but I hope it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [19] |