GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,744 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
46 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: "That was great, let's play again!" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmb
Do you ever hear these words at your gaming table? I don't, or at least not often enough. My 'team' seems quite critical of most games, but I find myself often wanting to play back-to-back games of the same thing so that I can find out more about it as a game... How does everyone else feel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear this quite often, but thats a problem too. I have a lot of new unplayed games lying around and not enoght time to play all of them. I my friends want to play older games again and again, this wont change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Maybe we should swap half our players with each other?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a certain few people who I play with that flat out refuse to play any game twice in one day, let alone in a row. But I also have another group of people who are willing to do such a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Glory to Rome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Tan
New Zealand
Auckland
North Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten that sentence mumbled by a handful of people who were skeptical that the games I were pushing were better than playing a round of Risk. Even newbies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I only seem to hear those words after a game of Race for teh Galaxy or Battle Star Galactica

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I get that with shorter games, like Ra or Dominion. 1.5-2 hour games are usually too long to play twice with the timeframes I have available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem playing a short game twice in a row.

Longer games, though, I want to think about them for a while before playing again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Stillwater
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was introduced to the magical world of board gaming in January. The first game that made me utter those words was Puerto Rico. Something about the first play of that game made me want to immediately play it again. I think I had some "Aha!" moments in the first game when things clicked, so I wanted to try it again now that I understood it better.

And recently, I introduced a few friends to Last Night on Earth. After we finished, I suggested trying Catan or Puerto Rico, but they both desperately wanted to kill zombieszombie again. I think the fun factor of that game helped. A lot of great strategic games are intellectually stimulating, but they don't get the "Wow, that was fun!" reaction. I played my first games of Vasco da Gama and Twilight Struggle recently and was completely exhausted afterward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
As some have already stated, shorter games lend themselves to immediate replay. Can't Stop or For Sale often get that reaction at our tables. Arkham Horror, not so much...

We're playing Leaping Lemmings at our game club for the first time tomorrow. It LOOKS like a blast and I'm HOPING it gets the "let's play again" reaction although, with a playing time of over an hour (longer for that first session), it might not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arnold
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Said that exact same thing a couple of weeks ago after playing Nuns on the Run at my friend's house. Quick, light, and lotsa fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
This is my reaction to almost every game I play and like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I also seem more likely to propose playing the same game again than many people I know. But it happens sometimes. I even heard it today after each of these 3 games: Branches and Twigs and Thorns, then Homeworlds, then Trax, teaching and playing them 2 or 3 times each with someone at game club. Yay!

Certainly playing again is more likely with shorter games than longer. I've occasionally proposed playing a second game of Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage with my Hannibal pal, but I'm not sure he was ever willing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic, we could play that all night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harvey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Convo usually goes with me:

Me: "So, what did you think?"
Friend: "Yeahhh it was good"
Me: "You liked it then?"
Friend: "Yeah it was good"
Me: "Come on then, good and bad points?"
Friend: "Errrr... dunno, it was just good"
Me: "Fine, want to have another go?"
Friend: "Yeahhh, can do..."
Me: "Sigh"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
jmsmith2434 wrote:
Unfortunately, I only seem to hear those words after a game of Race for teh Galaxy or Battle Star Galactica

i'd kill to have my group say that after Race...

The only things that get repeated play in our group are Magic and Dominion. I like these games, but I sure do get tired of them! Multiple games of Arkham Horror sound cool though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A game like "Pandemic" or "Bang!" will likely get repeat plays simply due to the short duration, but in general, it's pretty rare for a back-to-back play for my groups. (Heck - sometimes I don't even get another play of a favorite game for a few months - there's always just SO MANY games - old & new - to try out!)

There are certainly exceptions. Within the last couple months I've had repeat plays of "Heroes, Inc", "Betrayal at House on the Hill", and "Blackbeard". Sometimes it's just convenient (i.e. game is already set up, time is limited, and you don't need to do another rules explanation...); sometimes it's a new game and we're just excited to play again and get a better play after the first "learning" game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kswingruber wrote:

Funny. We just learned this today and right after we finished, my husband begged to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say it is generally considered against the excepted norm of multiplayer game night. For every game that got played there are 5 that someone brought and didn't get played so to play a game twice is going to make this ratio even worse.

The exceptions would be a really hot game that lots of people were eager to play, more than would fit in one game, it might get played back to back with one or two people staying from the first play to teach the second play. Also games with huge setup time like Heroscape could get played multiple times in sort of dedicated game sessions.

I find in two player situation it is far more common, less people to please I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IrishFire Herself
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What a sad, sad story! Before I was the primary gamer, I couldn't care less how much fun people had as long as *I* had fun. Now that it's my games and very often, my space, I feel personally responsible if people don't have a good time. It's always a huge relief to hear people say "That was great," "I can't wait to play again," or what the unwilling first-time gamer we forced Tsuro on today said: "So where can I buy this?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I get it with Settlers sometimes.

Ugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Happens all the time with short games only: Pandemic, Dominion, Bannanagrams- all get instant replays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odin Wednesday

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hida Mann wrote:
Do you ever hear these words at your gaming table? I don't, or at least not often enough. My 'team' seems quite critical of most games, but I find myself often wanting to play back-to-back games of the same thing so that I can find out more about it as a game... How does everyone else feel?

Shorter games, I may want to play back-to-back, either because I'm sorely disappointed in my performance in the first go (unfortunately, one time I did this, I did barely better the second time, fell into a little bit of a black mood, and was rather less gracious than I like to be in defeat, much to my embarrassment) or, in the reverse case, to offer a victim another shot at me.

More often, though, there are enough different games available and that I want to play that I'm far more interested in the variety than in playing the same thing a second time. Usually, there will be another day to try playing the game again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arnold
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind with a shorter game, but it's also great after teaching a new game. Last game night we had a new gamer who played Pandemic for the first time. Right after (of course we had lost), he wanted to try it again because he now understood the game from the outset and could apply his knowledge. We lost again, but we had fun anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.