Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: You guys got me into trouble rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris reiswig
United States
cherokee village
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Well i'm kind of new to the geek and kind of not, i have downloaded tons of mods for games i bought, and read tons of reviews, and there in lies the problem. I used to be a hardcore miniatures gamer, Warhammer 40k, D&D minis, etc. Then i got married and had a kid, so the budget is tight these days. Then i found the Geek, (ray of light, angels singing), so 4 months later and a couple hundred dollars, i now have 4 copies of Heroscape, Age of Mythology, Civilization, Risk 2210, Runebound, and more D&D minis, and a pissed off wife to boot, hehe. But i digress, this is not a rant, i just want to say thank you and a job well done to all who help this site, it was because of this site that i am now a gamer, i just wished i could find people to play these games with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you buy four copies of HeroScape?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris reiswig
United States
cherokee village
Arkansas
flag msg tools
As i said i'm a miniatures war gamer, so i wanted the scenery for my other minis like D&D minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
or seven
I think he was asking why you didn't buy six.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike van Schijndel
Netherlands
Rotterdam
ZuidHolland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahhahahah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Chris, at least you enjoy the stuff.

Don't mind the ball and chain, it's a guy thing, mostly.

(I just realized I can't think of a single female BGGer although they're probably out there.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Female cutting in line
You ARE new if you cannot think of even one female BGGer!

And, yes, I'm as obsessed about games as any of you.

Chris, try getting something your wife might enjoy, start with Lost Cities. It's a 2-player card game that should go over well with just about anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmbmbmb
Female Geeks
I think he meant Single female boardgamegeeks. Are you single Mary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harlan Rosenthal
United States
Fair Lawn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Focus your gaming habit
I got into gaming (or "back into gaming" - I was a wargamer and original D&D player in college) when I was looking for games for my own son, and realized that most of the Hasbro/Mattel stuff was one or more of: (1) crap, (2) the same crap that I didn't like 30+ years ago in new packaging, and/or (3) totally connected to crap comics or movies my son wasn't ready for. I wanted something he could *play*, and maybe learn a little from, that I could stand to play with him.

You don't mention how old your kid is, so maybe this sounds silly right now, but: Put the wargaming on hold for a while - you can get back to it - and spend your money on Kids Catan or Frank's Zoo or Aquarius or all of the other kids'-games-with-adult-interest that normal people have never heard of. Show your wife that the "selfish money-wasting addiction" can also be "teaching our kid the good stuff".

And while you're at it, check out the lists of games that the wives and girlfriends like. Focus on the side of gaming that emphasizes social interaction, getting together for FTF tabletop instead of isolated online or stuck home with the baby. Leave the long-term strategy games on the shelf for a while; start up things you can play by paying attention once it's your turn, while a kid's asleep on your other shoulder and another player is nursing. (And yes, I did NOT make that up.)

If you do it right, once the kid is grown you'll have an opponent worthy of you and/or a lieutenant you can trust implicitly. PS - my son "learned to fence" at a Rennaisance Fair, and by senior year in high school was captain of the fencing team; knew about Magic and Fluxx and Munchkin before any of his classmates ever *heard* of them, and so was the center of the game group every lunchtime. Start using those strategy skills and unit development in the Great Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
My Bad
blush Sorry, I seem to have put my foot in it.
I am happily married to a man who is NOT obsessed, but will play occassionally and enjoys Game Night. But I think many women could be persuaded to try some lighter games, progress to the heavier stuff and become addicted. Yep, just like a drug! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
You have to teach them to love games, my wife was not a gamer when we met, but now she beats me at Carcassone, Lost Cities and loves Advanced Civ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know any columbian drug lords? See, we could ask them how best to get people addicted to something that they may not want at all to begin with. By taking lessons from them, we could addict the world to boardgaming!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know any columbian drug lords? See, we could ask them how best to get people addicted to something that they may not want at all to begin with. By taking lessons from them, we could addict the world to boardgaming!!!

Why go all the way to Columbia? Just ask Philip Morris....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Christenson
Canada
Hay Lakes
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife was a boardgamer, but only of the crappy kind. I then started her off with Talisman (cause of the theme), and from there it was very simple. She loves them.

I too recomend Lost Cities, but don't play cut throat with her at first. If you have a white 10, and she is laying down whites, don't hang onto it forever. Let it go, it won't kill you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris reiswig
United States
cherokee village
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Well my son is 2 months old so i don't think he will be playing any boardgames any time in the near future, and my wife only likes playing rpg's i got her to play D&D minis, so i'm hoping i can get her to play heroscape too, *crosses fingers*. As for the rest of my games they only get played once a month when one of my co-workers comes over. So all my games have only been played two or three times at the most. Its a shame really, all those games with no one to play, and i just moved to arkansas so i don't know anyone around here, probably doesn't help that this is practically a retirement town too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.