GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

7,824 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Fresco» Forums » Reviews

Subject: ( Video ) Review, The artwork sold me on fresco, or was it the theme? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Mckane
Australia
SYDNEY
N.S.W
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb

It's a great game for all ages and levels of gaming experience.

Gameplay overview starts @ 1:10
Review starts @6:58

My Channel: www.youtube.com/harrymaxryan
  • [+] Dice rolls
Good review but the beginning was a little... scary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mckane
Australia
SYDNEY
N.S.W
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
adeadlysniper wrote:
the beginning was a little... scary.

Oh c'mon that's just insulting..... Robert Pattisons not that bad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review but I suspect you haven't given the 2 player variant a fair play. It works really well in this game and can make that dummy player (Leonardo) a very important tool used toward victory.

My wife and I love this game as a 2 player game. As a matter of fact it's easily our favorite game at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve T
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good review! I need to get this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Walsh
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done James !
You are putting it out there a bit doing a video review but it informed and gave me what I need to know . Good Job !!
This is hitting the credit card soon I suspect !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent work. I will have to consider this game more closely. Cheers, and thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review! I just got this last week and have gotten 2 plays in so far. I really enjoy the game as a 2 player game since the dummy player doesnt just take up space, he can be used strategically to give yourself better positioning.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E J
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really well done sir. Please, we want more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mckane
Australia
SYDNEY
N.S.W
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Quote:
Nice review but I suspect you haven't given the 2 player variant a fair play.

I won't deny that i haven't given it a fair go, but that is because i don't like Dummy player's.

It's not that i find "Leonardo" to be a badly designed Dummy player, it's just dummy players in general are not my sort of thing. I knew the 2p variant included a dummy player before buying this game and took that into consideration when going to purchase Fresco and i decided for reasons mentioned in the review, that it still seemed like it would be worth it even if it was only ever played with 3/4.

Unicorniclops wrote:
I really enjoy the game as a 2 player game
Tim

I'm glad people are taking the time to write that they enjoy Leonardo's company. It's important for people considering getting the game to take into consideration that the enjoyment is certainly there in the 2 player variant for some.

But, for me be it "Dirk" in Alhambra or "Leonardo" here, I am quite happy to hold out until a 3rd or 4th player can join.

Quote:
This is hitting the credit card soon I suspect !

Hey, What a coincidence that's where my copy of fresco hit I hope you enjoy it as much as i do.

Thanks everyone for the kind words,

Cheers,
James.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Review! Keep it up. You are quickly becoming one of my favorite reviewers. Especially like the clarity on the rules explanations.

You should try the 2 player game, however. It works better here than in many other games with dummy players, as it does really add a strategic aspect to using the dummy player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonello Piemonte
Germany
munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
well done and thanks for your efforts in making this review !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mckane
Australia
SYDNEY
N.S.W
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
anto wrote:
well done and thanks for your efforts in making this review !

Thanks mate, and no worries. I really enjoy doing them.

Thanks everyone here for supporting these reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent - I really appreciate the time you put into the graphics; it makes it not just a review but a nice visual rules tutorial as well.

Fresco goes up higher on my wishlist. I expect I will be playing a lot of 2-player, but I personally like dummy players, so won't keep me from getting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mckane
Australia
SYDNEY
N.S.W
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Thankyou for watching, I'm glad you enjoyed the review, It's always nice to hear that people appreciate them.

jedimusic wrote:
I personally like dummy players,

Then i can imagine this game for you would get alot of use.

Thanks again,
James.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A great review which usefully depicts the game flow. It's always very helpful to get a clear idea of how the games mechanic works before deciding on buying them. Keep it up, James !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tharin
Switzerland
Dübendorf
Schweiz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good review, still i hated this game when i finally played it, The theme doesnt appeal at all to me and the strategic possiblities seemed very boring to me.Seems i'm the only onw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've since gotten the game and it is a great game... if you play with the expansions. It's kind of blah without them, which makes it hard to get players to play the expansions; after the first "intro" game (i.e. without expansions) they are less motivated to play again with them.

I'd like to just skip the basic game and introduce the game with the exp., but it's a lot of extra rules/strategy for the folks I know to do on their first play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm glad people are taking the time to write that they enjoy Leonardo's company. It's important for people considering getting the game to take into consideration that the enjoyment is certainly there in the 2 player variant for some.

But, for me be it "Dirk" in Alhambra or "Leonardo" here, I am quite happy to hold out until a 3rd or 4th player can join.

I greatly prefer Leonardo to Dirk. Leonardo is a tool used to mess with your opponent, while Dirk just sits there ruining your strategy, and you can't kick him in the shins under the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.