GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,553 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Four investigators - Silas Marsh (Vito1), Tommy Muldoon (MtnMan69), Roland Bank (Barteus) and Norman Withers (Mark) began their night at Arkham by first hearing rumblings of a strange gate being opened at Devil's Reef in the nearby town of Innsmouth. Also, if Martial Law ever came in force at Innsmouth, a -1 penality would be added to an Evade check, or the investagator would be arrested. Silas moved to the Unnameable to gain a clue. Tommy had his movement maxed out at 4, so he headed off for the train station from police headquarters. The others remained in Arkham and collected Clues. Silas then collects a clue at the Unvisited Isle and plans his boat trip to Innsmouth for the next turn. Tommy takes a train ride and ends up at the Esoteric Order of Dagon where he collects a clue. Since he is fresh out of the academy, he's low on money and is wondering how he will get home. Plans were made for Silas to meet up with him at Falcon Point where he would give him a little money. Things soon get interesting in the next couple of Mythos phases - gates opend at Devil's Reef back to back, sending monsters into the vortex and increasing the Deep Ones Rising Track. It soon becomes apparent that sealing the gate at Devil's Reef wasn't too essential for the time being, and that clue tokens should be used raise the Federal Agents' awareness. Before coming to Innsmouth, Silas had gained a total of 4 clues and Tommy had accumulated 5 or 6. Roland and Norman have done well with their collections too.

About the time Silas was going to add clue tokens to the Feds Track, he encountered a couple of monsters in one of the streets of Innsmouth. He killed one, but failed an Evade check with the other and lost some Sanity. During combat, he failed to make one of his hits and was threatened with being devoured. he decided to use his clue tokens to re-roll a die, but failed at that too. He ended up spending all 4 tokens and on the last roll, but made the final hit and received a trophy. So much for helping Tommy with the Feds Track. During the next few rounds, Tommy aquired a couple of more clues and added had enough information to call a raid.

A little while later there were gates open at Devil's Reef, the woods, Independence Square The Unvisited Isle, and the Black Cave. These were eventually all closed, but not sealed. This was typical of most of the gates through the game - our strategy was decided fairly early to focus on CLOSING gates and trying to win with having all gates closed and 4+ trophies between us, since we were burning clue tokens on the Deep Ones Rising Track and with re-rolls.

A little farther than the half-way point, we were down to 1 open gate at the Woods. Norman jumped through it, but when he came out, he failed his check to close it. After encountering and evading a monster, he moved to the Historical Society to collect a clue. In the next Mythos phase, a gate opened up on him and sucked him through to the Abyss. After a turn of being delayed, he was devoured during his first O.W. encounter.

Silas didn't fare any better. Vito's friends have always wanted to have him be first player since he owns the group's A.H. collection. Remember the Dust Cards that come into play when Quachil is the Great Old One? Through the game, Silas boldly made his way through all three Dust decks. Granted once or twice he used 2 clues to not have to draw cards and when he did, was able to re-shuffle deck-1 at one point. About three-fourths of the way through the game, he got to the last card in the third deck. Of course, he was devoured. Knowing what was coming the round before, he engaged in some estate planning and gave what he could to Tommy in the streets of the Merchant District. His and Norman's memory would live on until the end of the game.

Mark was reincarnated into Ursula Downs, and Vito came back as Zoey Samaras, the Chef. At that point, the Terror Track had advanced to 5, there were 9 Doom Tokens on the G.O.O.'s card, and the Deep Ones Track was advancing again. We knew Quachil was going to wake up, but we didn't know if the Doom Track would cause it before the Deep Ones Track.

After 4 or 5 more rounds went by, the Doom Track reached 12 and up came the A.O.. All of us were loaded with clues to be used as re-rolls during our attacks and Tommy still had Becky. Zoey's Killer Instincts reduced Quachil's Physical and Magical Immunity to Resistance, but that didn't prove to be what it took to kill it. After 5 rounds of everyone becoming 1st. player and turning to dust with Quachil's attack on them, MtnMan69 was the only one standing with a new character he came back as after being killed. He was quickly eaten and the game was over. During the battle, we were able to take 4 Doom Tokens (16 hits total) off of his track.

Roland Banks was the only one who completed his Personal Story and used 5 clue tokens to be able to say, "the heck with it". This enhanced his Intuitive special ability which gave him 2 clue tokens when the clues in his posession were fewer than 2.

This being our first play of Innsmouth, we were not surprised to have lost. We really enjoyed everything it added and it reinforced our keene instincts how no 2 plays of A.H. are even remotely similar. We think we did things correctly, but I did not take notes for a detailed report to see what some of the A.H. veterans would have say. I can't wait to play again and to see if we can avenge our fallen comrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's crazy, our first Innsmouth play was against the same GOO! Sadly, you fared better than we did, believe it or not. It was not a pretty game. I was the only investigator that had managed to survive the entire game. When Quachil awoke, guess who the first player was? *poof* dust.

That guy is rough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Duroni
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review Vito. Tommy also completed his personal story when he was devoured by the ancient one, since his trusty rifle was of no use. Unless you can't pass your personal story after you already fail it first, in which case I cheated to get an extra hit on the ancient one in the end. Either way it was fun, but you definately don't want to have to see that ancient one awaken if you want to be successful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
It's either pass or fail, Mtnmn69. But Quachil Uttaus isn't going to let you get away with something like that, anyway.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Praxus wrote:
Wow, that's crazy, our first Innsmouth play was against the same GOO! Sadly, you fared better than we did, believe it or not. It was not a pretty game. I was the only investigator that had managed to survive the entire game. When Quachil awoke, guess who the first player was? *poof* dust.

That guy is rough.

Once he awoke each of us took turns being first player after the others died which, needless to say, didn't last many turns. The dust cards are a pretty cool aspect, but, not surprisingly, led to my demise. I am, however, surprised I lasted as long as I did being first player throughout the game. Perhaps I need to ask this in "questions", but is there any strategy at all for defeating Q.U. in the final battle? Even with more investigators, I don't see all of his hits being reduced in their first attack.

mtnman69 wrote:
Tommy also completed his personal story when he was devoured by the ancient one, since his trusty rifle was of no use.

Sorry, I must have forgotten you completed yours too. Pass along my apologies to Tommy (and Becky).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.