GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,267 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Stocking a new shop rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: flgs [+] [View All]
Ian Brocklebank
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend is opening a new Games Shop (Geek Games) in Leeds.
He is mainly stocking tabletop miniature games, but I have convinced him to stock boardgames as well as a way of attracting a local market.I am optimistic that with a little bit of effort he can generate local business in what is a fairly average UK suburb.
There is only one other shop in the city selling any boardgames and that is little known, and this store will also support at least one Gaming club in the area.

So given a budget of about £1000 (or about £500 wholesale) what would you suggest should be on the shelves?

I know nothing about retail so a few questions come to mind...
Should a shop start with multiples of some of the bestsellers (thereby limiting choice)?
And if planning to cater for committed gamers as well as those new to the hobby, should we start with expansions (and in what proportion to base games)?

Finally, while we recognise that demoing games is great, does this mean that we need to have at least 2 copies of any game we are planning to demo? Or have people found offering a small discount on games that have been demo-ed once or twice, is popular with customers.
I'll add my thoughts later about which games to start with, but would welcome all suggestions. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Carrick
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Contact gaming companies. Some will send demo copies to you. I also recommend looking online (Ebay, or even BGG), and seeing if you can find a cheap used copy for demo purposes.

Honestly, I would start with a small batch of bestsellers, and add on if boardgaming catches on. I would also recommend starting a board game meetup day, and offering a 20% discount if someone comes in on that day. I knew someone who started a game store, and ordered a huge variety of board games. However, their space was aimed primarily at wargamers, so most local boardgamers just didn't like it very much. Additionally, he refused to ever do any kind of discount, so he only sold Munchkin and Settlers.

As a result, game days typically drew one person (me), and he never drew a strong base, and wound up clearing the majority of his boardgames out at 30% off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dockter
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own a game store going on four years now. Have you considered selling ccgs, at least Magic: The Gathering? It is the bread and butter of most game stores including ours.

Fantasy Flight Games has a great demo program for brick and mortar stores, although I'm not sure how it works overseas. We have also opened games to demo and then sold them at a discounted price. Never had a problem with it.

As for ordering I'd suggest ordering just one or two copies and try to cover as many games as possible. You"ll be surprised at what becomes a best seller. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that everone else does too. Like Killer Bunnies for example. I loathe the game, but we've sold more copies than I can count. I wouldn't order expansions right away, except for something like Killer Bunnies where they are cheap. Instead, mention that there are expansions and that you can special order them. Many times we have ordered expansins just to have them sit there because the base game isn't selling or it's temporarly out of print.

Here's a list of the top selling board games at my store:

Arkham Horror
Last Night on Earth
Dominion
Agricola
Zombies!!
Settlers of Catan
Munchkin
Axis and Allies
Ticket to Ride (USA)
Aquire
Diplomacy
Carcassonne
Small World
Puerto Rico
Killer Bunnies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this geeklist - it was built for exactly this question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael W.
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PSXfile wrote:
I own a game store going on four years now. Have you considered selling ccgs, at least Magic: The Gathering? It is the bread and butter of most game stores including ours.

My buddy owns a couple collectibles stores in Toronto, Canada and though sports card and comics are his "bread and butter" he stocks some euro games and ccgs. I'd echo the comment that carry at least Magic the Gathering as this is about the only game that has regular purchases other than the occasional euro or kids ccg...

ArrrOOooo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wright
United Kingdom
Stockton-on-tees
Teesside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ian

You need to be careful, you stock will be very much guided by what the distributor has, they often have a fairly small inventory, the latest games yes, but stuff gets out of stock very quickly.

Are you going with Esdevium or JKLM?

Esdevium have a better inventory but you need a VAT number to get access to them, JKLM I believe will work without a VAT number.

I have tried something similar, stocking board games in a shop selling CCG's and rpgs.

Where in Leeds are you setting up shop?

I don't agree with your statement re the only shop selling games in Leeds is little known, the Travelling Man has a good selection and I would say it is well known, I think you need to reconsider the position of the 'opposition'.

You will also need some money going forward, just dropping £500 on stock and waiting for someone to buy something before reordering means you are likely to quickly fall out of date. There are usually minimum order levels (£150 - £200) and new stuff out each week, have you thought about how you are going to keep on top of the new releases?

PM if you want any more info on where I found pluses and minuses with this business model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I doubt there is a lot of money to be made selling gamers games, particularly in a shop in Leeds...

The titles that seem to be stocked in other UK games shops I've visited are:

A mix of the most popular family strategy games - (Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, Ingenious, Ticket to Ride);
Small easy to pick up card games - (Killer bunnies, munchkin, bohnanza, sabateour, colloretto etc),
Big box theme/war games: Tide of Iron, Arkham Horror,Battlestar Galactica, Descent)
Mass market strategy games - (Monopoly, Chess, othello, scrabble, cluedo etc.)
Party games - (Times up! Wits & Wagers/Gambit 7, Apples to Apples etc.)

Other things seem to be a good idea: Hosting games nights, providing table space, demo-ing, providing a loyalty scheme/bulk buying incentives, ordering in new titles on request, providing an up-to-date online stock control, having someone who is knowledgable (and can proactively sell) the title in stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brocklebank
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hellium wrote:
Hi Ian
I don't agree with your statement re the only shop selling games in Leeds is little known, the Travelling Man has a good selection and I would say it is well known, I think you need to reconsider the position of the 'opposition'.

By "little known" I meant by the general population. I have lived in Leeds for over 20 years, and until I joined Leeds NightOwls, I wouldn't have had a clue that they sold games. To most folk they look like a comic shop...

Thanks for the advice though...I will get the owner to sign up on here and get in touch with you directly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Turner
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi,

I'm the guy in question. Thanks for all the advice, it'll come in very handy.

How do you guys feel that the miniature board games like Ron & Bones do? Any interest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.