GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,456 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Samarkand: Routes to Riches» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 player game - drawing from the bag rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Rudolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have question regarding the 2 player rules. It says that "Each time a player is marrying into a family they draw a tile from the bag." Does the player draw the tile before or after they marry into the family? The reason it would matter is for example: I am marrying into the Hun family. If I marry first I take the Hun family tile and then draw. Should I then draw the Hun family tile from the bag, that tile is placed into the game. But if I draw first before marrying and draw the Hun tile it would be placed out of the game since I have not married into the family yet. I guess I am reading the tense of the word "is" in the sentence. If it said "Each time a player married into a family they draw a tile." It may seem insignificant, but it has an impact on gameplay as to what family tiles are in play. I know in another post that someone mentioned it doesn't make a difference if you draw first or not, but it does. Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Isn't this very nearly the same question as the thread just under this? Anyway, the answer is in that thread:

You marry first (removing the Hun tile) then draw from the bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The English rules are unfortunately ambigous on the order, they can certainly be read both ways. The German rules make it very clear, though: marry, then draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rudolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually Richard I don't think it was answered in the thread. The responder said to draw first but then stated that it wasn't in the rules so it was his opinion. I feel the English rules are not clear and just wanted to see if someone knew the correct rule. I wouldn't have posted the question if the thread before mine had an official answer. Thanks Mikko for providing a clearer ruling. I figured maybe it was a translation problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I see Mikko's answer in both threads and my comment above was paraphrasing Mikko's answer.

My comment about the other thread was also a modest suggestion that if you still had a question - why start a new thread? It would be more useful (perhaps) to have similar questions in the same thread. But no matter now - as I noted above, Mikko has posted the same answer twice in both threads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
The English rules are unfortunately ambigous on the order, they can certainly be read both ways. The German rules make it very clear, though: marry, then draw.
You are 100% sure about this right?

I looked into it and what this means is that the first family that the first player buys into will ALWAYS have a chance that it can have a second member. Of course the game could end before this second person comes out, but the chance is still there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. The German rules say:

"Jedes Mal, wenn ein Spieler in eine Familie einheiratet, zieht er am Ende seines Zuges ein Plättchen aus dem Stoffbeutel."

The bolded part is missing from the English translation. Correct English translation would say:

"Each time a player is marrying into a family, they draw a tile from the bag at the end of their turn."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.