GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,487 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Variants

Subject: Power Of The Day -- Censure rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CENSURE Resolution/Intermediate

Reduces Colony's Value By Half

You have the power to embargo. As a losing defensive player, use this power to place a token on the attacked planet, heretofore called an "embargo". All colonies on the planet count as half a colony for purposes of winning the game and other colony counting effects. If a colony counting effect results in a fraction, round down if necessary. You may end the embargo by removing the token should you establish a colony on the embargoed planet or as part of a deal. If you lose your power established embargoes remain.

History: The Censures have a knack for rallying others against a perceived injustice.

FLARE

Regroup
Wild: Place this card by a planet to have it count as only half value for all players who have a colony there. A Flare Zap can end this at any time, and this card goes to Censure if in the game or discard pile if not. A player with only two and half home colonies does lose his power.

Resolution
Super: As a losing offensive player, you may embargo the attacked planet. A player with only two and a half home colonies does lose his power.

Commentary: This is a rules power created by Eric Clason, circa September 2003. The Power, History, and Flare are his creation, though reworded for personal aesthetic taste and recently to fit in with Fantasy Flight. However, no game effect has been altered. I really like this power because it is unique. Matt Stone's set has the power Alien, which I adopted, that involves the counting of colonies, and there are powers that affect the value of ships, but this is the first and only power I've seen that affects the value of colonies. I find it quite in the spirit of Cosmic Encounter.

Commentary from Eric Clason: This is one of a few powers I thought up which changes the value of a base in some way. The base that caused the planet to be embargoed needs to be marked somehow. The halving of value applies to both external and home bases. I would consider lifting an embargo as part of a deal to be the equivalent of giving ½ a base. 2 embargoes could be lifted but you could not lift an embargo and give a base.

Gerald Katz
Don't forget to tip the Butler!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would include this in my home set. Well done, guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh oh. I just realized Censure effectively would use the power only two times, because when he loses his third home colony he loses his power. Will is the exception, but still. Then the question arises is what happens if another player attacks an already embargoed planet for whatever reason. For Censure to be any worth I would say he can put another embargo on the planet so now colonies there are only worth 1/4, and so on.

Now I'm having second thoughts. Censure looks good on paper but may not be good in practice. Perhaps it should be changed to a main player power such that if he loses as offensive player he can then embargo the attacked planet as well, i.e. the Super Flare, and change the Super Flare to allow an embargo as a losing ally. Then we can specify there can only be one embargo on a planet to keep things as simple as possible. Lifting embargoes as part of a detail has more worth because players will have home colonies embargoed and having 2 1/2 home colonies does lose your power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
You may begin playtesting now.

Yeah this is interesting. It doesn't seem that great though, maybe make it one of those powers like masochist that doesn't turn off when you run out of home colonies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could just twist the power a bit, too. To play up the theme a bit, how about this? As a main player, whenever Censure plays a Negotiate in an encounter that is opposed by an Attack card, use this power to place an embargo token on the system being fought over. I would also extend it to failed-deal situations, too.

"We tried to negotiate, and you were jerks! We embargo you!!!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm.. not bad..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
You could just twist the power a bit, too. To play up the theme a bit, how about this? As a main player, whenever Censure plays a Negotiate in an encounter that is opposed by an Attack card, use this power to place an embargo token on the system being fought over. I would also extend it to failed-deal situations, too.

"We tried to negotiate, and you were jerks! We embargo you!!!"

A fair compromise, pun intended, to increase the power to main player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting, but weak. I'd make it so you can place an embargo on *either* your lost planet, or on any planet in the other main player's system. And you may place an embargo token as losing offensive player, on the planet you attacked. And you can also place a token in your opponent's system when you fail to make a deal. So essentially, whenever you lose as a main player, the other main player loses half a base.

Make the Super flare, "use as a losing ally" or "You may place an additional token on a planet in the system of a player who allied against you."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.