GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,858 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quite confused about setting up the "sub domains" (categories) via polls.

1 First off, how do you see rankings within a "sub domain" without first switching into that subdomain? It seems I have to go into "Board Games" drop-down and select Children's Games, for example, and then "Browse" and select the dropdown of "Children's Games" to finally see the rankings by category. It would seem that you should just be able to go straight to "Browse" by category to see the rankings of any of the "sub domains."

2 What is the threshhold for getting into a particular "subdomain"? I see that Loopin' Louie is listed in the top Children's games as well as Party games. Now, it's not even scoring at 40% in one of those two categorization polls. However, Gulo Gulo is scoring about the same as a "Family game" and is NOT showing up in that subdomain. What gives?

3 Weren't we originally allowed to vote for multiple categories in the polls (when we go thorough our collection to categorize the games)? When I go direct to a game page, I can only select ONE category for a game. This entirely defeats any sensible purpose to this exercise. If a game is obviously in more than one "sub domain" then why shouldn't people be allowed to vote that way? There could be a game that is 100% in category X and everyone in the world agrees. It's also unanimously considered to be of category Y as well, but the dominant category is X. In this case, the fact that the game is 100% a Category Y game will never, ever be noted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: About this Subdomain Project Thingie...
Poll
How are you rating games which don't have a valid "sub domain" category?
  Abstract Strategy CCG Ameritrash Family Children Party Strategy/Gamer Wargame
Pure card games (Mu, Hearts, Tichu)
Word games (Scrabble, Boggle)
Deduction games (Code 777, Black Vienna)
"Role Playing boardgames" (How to Host Murder)
Sports Sim (Strat-o-Matic, SI)
Negotiation (Dip, Chinatown)
      27 answers
Poll created by Randy Cox

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
Poll
How are you rating games which don't have a valid "sub domain" category?
  Abstract Strategy CCG Ameritrash Family Children Party Strategy/Gamer Wargame
Pure card games (Mu, Hearts, Tichu)
Word games (Scrabble, Boggle)
Deduction games (Code 777, Black Vienna)
"Role Playing boardgames" (How to Host Murder)
Sports Sim (Strat-o-Matic, SI)
Negotiation (Dip, Chinatown)
      27 answers
Poll created by Randy Cox

Your poll doesn't really work. There are card games that I'd consider to be CCGs, family, children, party, or strategy games. I look at the games on a case by case basis, and decide which I think is the best fit for that game. Some goes with word games, deduction games, negotiation, etc.

Nearly every game I've categorized (most of my collection) has had a valid subdomain category. It's simply of a process of picking the best of those available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Your poll doesn't really work. There are card games that I'd consider to be CCGs, family, children, party, or strategy games.
Really, Chad?

You mean that "pure card games (Mu, Hearts, Tichu)" brings about visions of CCGs, kid games, and party games? But since you do it on a case-by-case basis, how would you place the following:

Mu
Tichu
Hearts
Bridge
Spades
Rook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Your poll doesn't really work. There are card games that I'd consider to be CCGs, family, children, party, or strategy games.
Really, Chad?

You mean that "pure card games (Mu, Hearts, Tichu)" brings about visions of CCGs, kid games, and party games? But since you do it on a case-by-case basis, how would you place the following:

Mu
Tichu
Hearts
Bridge
Spades
Rook

Sure, I would imagine most pure card games would more or less fit in one of the categories. Some examples:

Hearts - Family Game
Bridge - Strategy Game
Spades - Family Game
Rook - Family Game
War - Children's Game
Rummy - Family Game

Of course, these are just my opinions of what kind of games they are, and your opinions may vary. That's why it's a poll... we go with the general consensus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy, I think you have a valid point in there somewhere, but the examples you picked are largely easy to categorize. The only ones I wouldn't be sure about are the sports sims to be honest. Many of the older AH games (and other companies) for example are quite hard to categorize. Showing that games could fit into more categories does, mean they can't fit into existing categories. Having said that, I find this whole sub-domain thing to be a complete mess and while well intentioned, it has many, many rough edges. Most of the games in my collection have been easy to categorize so far, but a few have been next to impossible for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.