GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,255 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Age of Steam» Forums » General

Subject: Learning game for 3P, Base map or Ireland + Custom rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Topic says it, I want to teach the game to other players, and more likely we can only be 3 players.

Would you recommend to play with the Ireland map of the 1st expansion with its custom rules, or base map with only 3 players?

Any rule change you can recomend to make the base map more tight for 3 players? (less cubes on each city or so?)

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The base map may be ok for three players - there will likely be little interaction, but that's ok for a learning game.

The Ireland map is a good three-player map for experienced players.

I personally think France is a good three-player teaching map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark G.
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tatsu wrote:
The base map may be ok for three players - there will likely be little interaction, but that's ok for a learning game.

The Ireland map is a good three-player map for experienced players.

I personally think France is a good three-player teaching map.

I agree regarding the France map. I've used that with new players. I've used Germany in a 4-player game with new players and that worked well.

Ireland can be a bit brutal for a new player, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
kabutor wrote:
Would you recommend to play with the Ireland map of the 1st expansion with its custom rules, or base map with only 3 players?

Neither. I would use Japan for a three-player teaching game.Of all the extant maps I've found Japan to be near ideal for three-player teaching games. (And yes, I've run many dozens of three-player teaching games)

Quote:
Any rule change you can recomend to make the base map more tight for 3 players? (less cubes on each city or so?)

Minimally use Japan's express-train rule for the Locomotive action. Leaving Locomotive unchanged is the primary cause of failure in attempting to run standard maps with low player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff
United States
Western Great Lakes - Owashtinong Aajigaaning
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:

Minimally use Japan's express-train rule for the Locomotive action. Leaving Locomotive unchanged is the primary cause of failure in attempting to run standard maps with low player counts.

Cool, could you elaborate? To try to reiterate, are you saying the locomotive action should always be modified by some variant for lower player numbers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aboveriver wrote:
To try to reiterate, are you saying the locomotive action should always be modified by some variant for lower player numbers?

Good 3-player maps always modify actions to keep players in the auction. If there are too many 'good' actions available, then why bother bidding in the auction? On JC's London map, Loco isn't even available as a choice if playing with 3-players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.