GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,724 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Catacombs» Forums » General

Subject: How do YOU "flick?"... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was just wondering of the different flicking techniques people might use. I am going to break this puppy in later this week and assumed I would use the "cock-one-finger-against-thumb-line-up-and-release" option.

Are there other ways people flick in this game?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm flicking away from myself, and making a power shot, I'll use that method. If I'm flicking towards myself (and don't want to get up and walk around the table, or if it isn't feasible) I'll use my third and fourth fingers together and flick two-fingered.

One guy in my group puts his second finger down onto the disc and flicks it that way.

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a guy in my group puts his finger on top and push/flicks his piece. This however seems boarder line at best. I was thinking i needed to put an end to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonWhelp wrote:
a guy in my group puts his finger on top and push/flicks his piece. This however seems boarder line at best. I was thinking i needed to put an end to it.

Boy, this doesn't seem like a flick to me. A finger must contact the side of the disc in my mind for it to be a valid flick, whether you hit the disk or your finger or your finger starts out touching the side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roop
United States
Three Rivers
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the rules for Battle for Glyderion and use them for houserules in Catacombs, with one major addition. Your hand must be in the same position until the shot is resolved and pucks come to a standstill. Ever since I read the rules to that game, I fell in love with the "hand position" diagrams the developer used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yegods
United States
Campbell
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ReignsEternal wrote:
I like the rules for Battle for Glyderion and use them for houserules in Catacombs, with one major addition. Your hand must be in the same position until the shot is resolved and pucks come to a standstill. Ever since I read the rules to that game, I fell in love with the "hand position" diagrams the developer used.

while that certainly is one way to flick, i would hate to use it. i use the thumb and index finger together. my wife uses the same, but tilts her hand to the side -- a little awkward looking, but it works pretty well. if i want less power, i'll use my pinkie, or ring finger. i don't think you'll gain too much by enforcing one flick method.

i do agree however, that "pushing" is not flicking, and try to discourage it when we play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harwood
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
My preferred method is the finger/thumb hold/flick and attempt to crush it hard enough to dislodge the obstacle pieces.

Seriously though, while I'm most accurate that way, I don't have quite as good of control over speed, so also sometimes use just a single finger placed on the board next to the piece and then flick/raise just the one finger. More finesse, but less aim for me that way and all around more interesting way to play.

For those with younger ones, I've found doing the above one finger flick (or whatever is least consistent for you) and using your non-dominant hand to be a good way to handicap your play without obviously doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonGetsGames
United States
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a guy in our group who is very accurate by flicking using his index finger and just the board surface, no thumb. Upon trying this myself I started to realize how he was nailing all those long range missile shots...its a ton more accurate then the finger/thumb flick thing i've been doing. That one has issues with hitting straight on the nail and I almost always launch far away.

To be more specific, he pushes his finger into the game board and then releases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how I flick - although admittedly not with the same skill...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.