Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Best Buy slanders board games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Maybe this is old news, but I just heard a radio commercial touting a new Best Buy in our area. I can't remember how it started, but it was something like,

"Before, in Anytown, USA, weekends meant Friday night high school football and maybe playing board games with the family on Saturday night."

That's when I started paying attention so the rest is a more accurate transcription.

"Once Best Buy came to Anytown things were different. Friday night still means football but camcorders now provide evidence that the refs are blind. And Saturday night? Let's just say that Best Buy's DVDs and plasma TVs now make board games...well...boring."

angryangryangry

Should we call a boycott? I'm sure the Syndicate of Teed-off Football Umpires (STFU) will join us in our cause.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's funny, cause without a question I will take a boardgame over a movie (even if shown on the fanciest DVD sound system/plasma monstro tv) any night of the week.

TV == brain off, socializing off
Boardgame == brain on, socializing on

You make the call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard this too. I will never shop at Best Buy again, er, I have never shopped there before either...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But unfortunately...
But unfortunately, we live in a time where Brain off = Good cry

On a better note....Brain is "On" in Family Fun Magazine, where Ticket to Ride got a Best Toy award. However in the "Brain Off" society we live in, only stupid boardgames where you watch DVD's while you play, are marketed in mainstream outlets. Oh well, I am just glad that I am into boardgames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah.....Best Buy...isn't that a misleading store name?

I never found that place to have any Best Buys. Plus, why would anyone in their right mind shop there? Ebay is soooo much better. Got my stereo there, refurbished wireless speakers....all in all a much Better Buy.

Anyway, that place blows....Don't shop there for anything!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Downin
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Perhaps if the boardgames Best Buy was referring to were Monopoly, Life, Sorry, and Parcheesi, I would agree with them.

Unfortunately I know too much about what available in the boardgame world these days, and Best Buy and their marketers have proven to me how ignorant they (and unfortunatley most of America) is about gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Also....
someone explain to me why the billboard at the Uberplay site for their New England game says:

If you only buy 1 game this year, buy Monopoly. But if you buy two games, buy New England.

Man, if I only had 1 game to buy this year, it most assuredly WOULD NOT be Monopoly! Maybe I'm missing something but I don't get it. Not a very good endorsement for NE, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last I was in best buy, I saw them selling Scene it? the DVD BOARD GAME.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Leach
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I already boycott them and as many other "super" stores as I can. Justin, isn't there a local non nationwide chain store you could buy the things you need at? Let's all use the strongest vote a Capitalist society gives us, the dollar to say that we won't tolerate "super" stores running our local shopowners out of our own towns. Steps off soap box. Sorry for the rant. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mary,

I think it's important to note that advertising is still just product placement at some point. Putting Monopoly in there means that New England and Monopoly are on the same level, in terms of sales. Monopoly ain't the greatest game, to be sure, but the guys over at Uberplay are trying to bridge the gap and if the only thing 'normal' people associate with is Monopoly... well... *shrug*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fear not! It is the age old marketing ploy: Advertise your worst weakness as your greatest strength.

Other examples:

MacDanolds: Our new all white meat Chicken MacParts are now healthier than ever!

Anytown General Electric: Working to keep our environment clean!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Christenson
Canada
Hay Lakes
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grrr... And most people will agree with that add too, simply because they just don't know.

Two weeks ago I was talking with a friend. It came up that he didn't like board games. I said 'Oh yeah, which kind?' And he said 'Monopoly'. So I asked what he didn't like about it.

'I hate the roll and move aspect. I have no control.'

Well, I was so excited to start telling him about other games. And I did, and he got excited. He's coming to our Game Night on the 13th now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Don't worry, Steve, I can't afford a plasma TV anyway.

Getting a little off my topic (and on to Steve's topic), I heard an amazing rodio interview of a trade secretary from the Clinton administration. He was talking about how Walmart's proposed buyout of some big Japanese retailer would be good for Japan. He literally said that out-competing the mom-and-pop stores that Japan is famous for would be Good Thing. (Paraphrase from memory) "Yes, the cute packaging, personal service, and little store fronts are nice, but when Wal-mart comes to town the Japanese will finally be able to afford to buy things and it will free up land for better uses."

I was waiting for the "April Fools" but it never happened. I'm all for free trade, but this interview creeped me out. Knowing how much the Japanese find joy in the *experience* of shopping, I'm hoping that Wal-mart has finally met its match.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4138119

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to but
I don't live in Anytown, USA anymore where the only cutural activities on the weekends were Friday Night Football and the choice of watching a movie at home or playing Monopoly on a Saturday night.

I do kind of miss Playing Chicken In Our Mini-Vans after dropping the kids off at school and threatening the soccer refs with bodily harm in front of our younger kids and the Wednesday Night Wife Swapping Club but not enough to go back to playing Monopoly.

Nope, I won't live in boring little Anytown, USA ever again and I won't shop at Best Buys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dayley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris O'Haver,
Please keep your political statements to yourself if all you can do is insult others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Andrews
United States
Birmingham
Michigan
flag msg tools
What comes around...
I'm not a Walmart fan simply because, as a businessperson, I talk to my clients about quality service and getting what you pay for. If I wanted to be lowest price, my family wouldn't enjoy the lifestyle we have and my clients wouldn't get the outstanding service they expect by paying more.

Walmart will get what's coming to them (not due to lower prices) but because their suppliers are all waiting for the first sign of weakness to put a knife in their back (as Walmart has in theirs so many times). Many employees are waiting for a weakness to put the knife in their back, because of Walmart's treatment of employees.

I never want to be the company that everyone's trying to knife. After reading his biography, I think Sam Walton would be rolling over in his grave if he knew what was going on in his stores. I need to have good relations with my suppliers, my employees, and my customers. If you asked me for a cheaper price, I'd tell you to go f$%! yourself. My employees, suppliers, and other customers deserve better treatment. Even if I am shopping via pricetag, I will shop at a Target because although they dictate pricing with suppliers also, they treat them as humans. Some of my clients are Target employees, and they largely treat their people well.

Smaller companies don't compete well with Walmart when they DON'T offer better service. Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged makes this point very well.

On Best Buy...isn't it great that I can buy a screen to sit in front of instead of sitting around enjoying other people? I need a big screen tv or computer game to make sure that I'm socially unaware of life around me. (Sarcasm dripped thickly over that statement...if you didn't catch it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Books require reading skills, more imagination, and more effort in gereral. Assuming you're reading fiction, they are better than movies because hey, at least you're improving a very usefull skill. I'd also like to think that you pick up more vocabulary through books than movies, as you actually see the word in print, but I guess that depends on which movies and books you read and what your learning style is (auditory, or visual).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
cluck cluck
Um, I think we're getting WAAAY of topic here. Can we come back and start talking about minivan chicken again, please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
then again...
...what about "S.U.V. turkey"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are books better than movies?
This is a good question. I had always just assumed that it was true, but several interesting points have been made.

My first response is that there is way more information intake per minute when reading.

However, as far as using imagination, let's use the Harry Potter movies and books as an example. I think that the Harry Potter movies, in general, did an excellent job of following the storyline, but had to leave out a lot. (Including one of my favorite lines from the book, "Hagrid, you live in a wooden house!")

The other left out parts included many of the motivations of the characters that the book detailed, but the movie kind of glossed over. Now, does that mean that the movie forces one to use more imagination rather than less? Something to ponder and it is a concept that I hadn't considered before.

Another thing that I like about reading that movies are unlikely to replace is portability and fitting into several small time opportunities. I will read a book in snippets in many two minute to two hour chunks possibly in several different locations. That would be possible with movies, but not as convenient (yet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When do I need service?

In some cases this approach makes sense, but not always and I think it is applicible in a decreasing number of cases.

If I want a bar of soap, a box of cereal or a toy for my kid (or me), I don't need service. I want to walk in, pick it up and pay a low price for it. I would prefer a short checkout line, but a 30 second wait vs. a five minute wait probably doesn't make much difference in the overall trip. For this reason, we buy a lot of stuff a Costco.

If I am looking for advice on a stereo, a bicycle or sporting equipment before purchasing, I may go to a specialty store and pay a little more for the service. Although lately, I've been doing more and more research online and don't even need someone at a store for that. So being able to charge a higher price for "better" service may be an endangered occupation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Wal-Mart and Target and Best Buy, oh my!
Oh, I'll bite.

I read someone talking about how different Wal-Mart and Target are. I must say, from what I think is a credible position, "Harumph!" I deal with both on a daily basis, from the perspective of a "supplier" (we manufacture product for both).

Both are horrible to suppliers when it comes to shaving prices to the bare minimum. Both are particularly bad (especially Target) when it comes to "chargebacks". Try this one: buy a game that you think isn't quite up to snuff (let's say Relationship Tightrope). Then go and buy another game from the same company (say New England). When they tell you the price, discounted to the bone, is $12.45, pay them $3.00 and tell them you're now even, because you're including a "chargeback" (sometimes called "invoice offset") for Relationship Tightrope in the amount that you considered it to be overpriced and to compensate for your lost enjoyment while playing and because the components weren't exactly perfect (though they are what you expected).

That's what Target does exceptionally well. Wal-Mart is good, too (probaly #2 or #3 in this game), but Target screws their suppliers harder than any other company I know of. Then, they tell you you're their "partner" and they're only trying to make the marriage work better for the both of you. Meanwhile, they go overseas and attempt to purchase everything with no middleman for a nickel savings. When they find out that overseas manufacturers don't play the "chargeback" game (they require letters of credit to pre-pay for those goods), they come back to their "partners" and ask them to buy from China, have it delivered to Target directly (with an invoice showing purchase price from China), and then they'll issue any chargebacks to the middleman (since they can't do that to the Chinese manufacturer). It's insane.

Throw in their "reverse auctions" to get the lowest, lowest price from manufacturers (forget about quality and service, they've openly stated that those factors don't override price), and you've got an unworkable situation.

Yeah, Target is a jewel alright.

But I don't boycott them or Wal-Mart. It's the nature of the world right now. Eventually, Walmart and Target will disappear under their own weight as the fact that quotas are being lifted and "laissez-faire" world trade agreements are reducing tariffs, we'll have that world economy sooner than you think. Chinese and Indians will be able to purchase plasma TVs; we'll all be wishing for jobs.

To tie Best Buy in to this, I have one anecdotal reason for buycotting them. In one of their stores, years ago, a friend's daughter (then 6 or 7) was playing with a display designed to entice childred to play movie-themed video games. The device collapsed on her and nearly killed her, caused skull and brain damage, and just wasn't pretty. I know this is how litigation works, but being part of the process showed me the ugly side of The Big Retailers (or, more appropriately, their Insurance Henchmen). That incident keeps me away from Bust Buy. Note: the girl is doing very well now.

Rant over, and always remember, these are only my opinions. Facts are never solid on the Internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wal-Mart, Best-Buy...
Well,
I love the dvd's, but I am a big movie buff, and darnit you can like dvd's *and* boardgames! One can never have too many distractions!

In regards to Wal-Mart, I think the most recent South Park summed it up nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey McBeth
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chargebacks and other skullduggery are not unique to Wallmart/Target. They probably learned every single one of their tricks from the grocery store psychos.

My most hated trick is when they refuse to pay their supplier for food because it is "defective", refuse to ship it back because they "destroyed" it already, then they turn around and sell the product on their shelves anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.