GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,972 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Mr. Jack» Forums » Sessions

Subject: 5 months is to long not to play such a Great Game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been 5 months since I played this one, and that is a shame since this is such a perfect game, it is a great 2 player game - one of the best I own!

Here is a picture of the board in case you have not seen this game - Thanks to: edubvidal

So we wanted something different then what we had been playing and Matt has played this a few times so no major explanation was needed. We had a warm up game to refresh us, but the rules are pretty straight forward - I lost this game, but was helping him a lot.

So we start again and I am Jack and I am Mr. Plum for the 2nd time in a row, Gull. I figure this should be good because I have seen people say you would not be the same guy twice in a row a lot of times during the game, and yet I am the same guy 2 times in a row a whole lot of times. The first game it seemed it was hard for me to get a break and he had some amazing luck at the end to find me. This game felt a lot more balanced and I thought I had the edge most of the game, but not all of it. Round 1 basically netted him 1 person who was in the clear, he did the same in round 2 so I felt I was still doing well, he had only 2 guys figured out. The Sewers are key to keeping them in the light I say. Round 3 saw me able to keep everyone unknown and I was pretty impressed with that. It was not possible to get everyone out of the light so I was always in the light. Round 4 saw him find 2 more guys and he drew a Holmes card that did not help him. I got a little worried at this point. Round 5 saw him draw another holmes card and this one would help him, I really wanted to get my guys in the dark but could not do it with out exposing more people. I had tried to make it look like it was the inspector from the beginning and I had him and gull near the exits at all times. He found out another so I was down to 2 stooges and my Jack. I was thinking he will find another one out next round and then that is about it for me. I was trying to get the other people as far from my guy as possible and did a good job at it.

This game is great, it really goes fast, it has a whole lot of thinking, and if you forget about 1 little aspect of the board, all your plans can be ruined. It just really works well as a system and the mechanics are very steam lined I would say. It is very interactive and reading the other person is a big part of the game, I find my self trying to think of how to outsmart the other guy as much as trying to figure out what is the best course of action for Jack. I like how you flip the people tokens over and when they are in Black and White you know they are not Jack.

Photo thanks to Heathbar

Round 6 had me able to keep all 3 people unknown and I had to move the inspector to a spot he could not get out if need be and wondered if this would make Matt think he was not Jack? Round 7 was perfect, I finally got them in the dark and Gull had not been drawn so I had the win coming up in round 8, I had worked hard to keep Gull near a exit or a sewer that would let him escape the whole game but also did the same with Mrs. Green and the Inspector. I got to use the Police whistle guy in round 6 and get everyone in position. Round 7 Matt had the reporter to move last but I had him positioned so he could really do nothing or go anywhere that would matter. It turns out he had gotten the Inspector card so he know he was not Jack, but he said he had no clue if it was Green or Purple at the end.

We both had a lot of fun and agreed this would see more table time here shortly. What I love about this game is it just really makes you think, what can I say I am a dice man at heart - you don´t have to think as hard in dice games, just roll the dice. If you play a lot of 2 people games this one should really be in your collection!

It is a who done it game, but just worlds beyond Clue I would say. It really can be a barn burner with the right person. I think this is a good game to play against the same person so you 2 grow together in your skill level or knowledge of the game.

Game On´
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hendal wrote:
It turns out he had gotten the Inspector card so he know he was not Jack, but he said he had no clue if it was Green or Purple at the end.

He should guess to accuse one or the other, not just give up and let time run out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Hendal wrote:
It turns out he had gotten the Inspector card so he know he was not Jack, but he said he had no clue if it was Green or Purple at the end.

He should guess to accuse one or the other, not just give up and let time run out.

Only if he could get one of the other characters to the space of one or the other, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Hendal wrote:

He would have , could he have gotten a guy to me, I made sure he could not in round 7 - it just worked out perfect for me this time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hendal wrote:
He would have , could he have gotten a guy to me, I made sure he could not in round 7 - it just worked out perfect for me this time

He should make the guess in round 6, when he sees that he's not going to be able to get down to a single suspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tell him that laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Emery
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pure guessing is such a cheap win. I found that if you're taking a total guess, it's better just to announce you are so that both you (inspector) and Jack understand it was total luck if you get it right.

One step better...if it's down to two, try and keep the inspector guessing, but ensure that he only has one choice (the wrong one) should he choose to guess.

No matter what, a 50/50 guess feels like a loss to me as the inspector, even if I get it right.

Now...if I can explain why I *think* it's one vs. the other via my gut/intuition instead of a pure 50/50, then that's a different story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emeryaj wrote:
No matter what, a 50/50 guess feels like a loss to me as the inspector, even if I get it right.

Are you implying that a win by Mr. Jack is superior in some way when he gets it by having the inspector get a 50/50 guess wrong? They are both coin flip situations, and each player will win half of them over time. Certainly a win by an Inspector is better if he knows who he's accusing, but by the same token a win by Mr. Jack is better if he escapes. Saying that it's really a loss for the inspector no matter what happens makes no sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emeryaj wrote:
I found that if you're taking a total guess, it's better just to announce you are so that both you (inspector) and Jack understand it was total luck if you get it right.

I think it's never a "total guess". There are always some indications from how your opponent played. Remember that he didn't know at the beginning which two characters you would be choosing between at the end. His choices are constrained somewhat by knowing who he has to protect.

I think usually when I'm down to two characters I'm guessing right 60-70% of the time.

Anyway, the game is designed so that most of the time it will come down to a guess at the end. If you don't like that result then you probably aren't going to like this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.