GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,221 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Just how good is Twilight Struggle? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Mitchell
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a longer 2 player strategy game for the wife and I and Twilight Struggle would seem to fit the bill. We both love card games, hand management, and area control. We however do not get into war games at all, and she's not much into history so the theme is weak for her. As long as the game itself is good enough I don't think that will matter. Just as some examples, we both love Puerto Rico, Small World, Dominion, RFTG, TTR, and sometimes Stone Age, though worker placement is not our favorite. We also play Battleline, Lost Cities, and Cribbage a lot. We didn't care for Agricola, or Memoir 44 if that says anything.

I basically just want to know if there are many husband/wives out there that get into Twilight Struggle. What makes it so good? Are there other Jason Matthews games out there that are just as good or better than Twilight Struggle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle is THE game, and for what it matters IMO its not a wargame, but let us not discuss that

You could also try 1960: The Making of the President. It is also great game but I prefer TS to be honest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmb
1960 and TS aren't comparable. They share a designer in Jason Matthews and some of the card mechanics are held in common, but the games are completely different in feel.

I think you'll really enjoy TS. There's no game like in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Powers
United States
Triangle
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, Twilight Struggle is one of the best games designs ever.

I believe it just won 'Game of the Decade' here on the Geek. That should tell you something.

To address your question more directly, my teenage daughter and I play Twilight often. She also loves card games and hand management, but has no love for history, nor the time period/theme. (Though she did ace the 'Cold War' section in history class!)

I would recommend Twilight whole heartedly. It is a great,challenging, nail biting game, that never plays the same way twice.

One of the best purchases I ever made.

Go for it!
Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I rather, enjoy 1960 over Twilight Struggle. TS is good to great but I've always been surprised that's been rated 3 or 4. I never felt it was THAT good. It's not the complexity mind you. Just my opinion.

Given the chance, sure I'd play it and I'd even consider trading something for the deluxe edition.

It's also very similar to Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage. Which is better I think and it looks better and is at least as intriguing.

Not to take away from TS. Like I said, it's good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bingham
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How good is Twilight Struggle?

A 9.75/10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D K
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have issues with the way Twilight Struggle works. If I am forced to play a card that lets the other player do a military action, for his action he picks a battle ground country and it causes nuke war, then I lose! BULL! I didnt pick the action to cause nuke war, the other player did, but because I was FORCED to play the card I lose. Nice way to waste some 75 mins.

Because of this, I can only play the game once every 6 months, I have lost 3 times because of that one mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lester
United States
new orleans
LA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
SirDusk wrote:
I have issues with the way Twilight Struggle works. If I am forced to play a card that lets the other player do a military action, for his action he picks a battle ground country and it causes nuke war, then I lose! BULL! I didnt pick the action to cause nuke war, the other player did, but because I was FORCED to play the card I lose. Nice way to waste some 75 mins.

Because of this, I can only play the game once every 6 months, I have lost 3 times because of that one mechanic.

I'm almost positive no matter what, who ever causes the nuke to go off, regardless of active player, loses.

But to answer the questions this is actually the game that GOT my wife into boardgames! If interested in the short story you can see that here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1960 and TS aren't comparable. They share a designer in Jason Matthews and some of the card mechanics are held in common, but the games are completely different in feel.

I think they are as similar as two games can get. Alternating cardplay, minimizing 'bad' cards, building your support, attacking opponents support...

Both have a set number of rounds in which in each you get a hand to play. Card order is vital. Both have a way to get rid of bad cards: Space Race or Debate....

Same time period and most importantly, both are incredible games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea why Twilight Struggle is flagged as a wargame on BGG. It had no units and no combat. Yes, it's historical conflict but virtually every game has conflict and history is hardly exclusive to wargames for theme. Don't factor in your dislike of wargames; this is a different beast.

I like it a lot, but have only played twice so I defer to the more experienced opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
SirDusk wrote:

You're playing wrong.

However, even with the correct rules, I'm not a fan of the game. An unlucky draw of cards can completely screw you, and we've found the game to be quite unbalanced towards the Soviets. If you and your wife are of different skill levels then it could be considered a boon, but I won't really play the game again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not really Ryan Leaf
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:
SirDusk wrote:

You're playing wrong.

However, even with the correct rules, I'm not a fan of the game. An unlucky draw of cards can completely screw you, and we've found the game to be quite unbalanced towards the Soviets. If you and your wife are of different skill levels then it could be considered a boon, but I won't really play the game again.

Yes, he is playing wrong. Sir Duke is correct in that the phasing player is responsible for DEFCON, even if the opponent knocked it down to 1. That being said... if DEFCON were at 2, you could dump that card into the space race.... situation averted.

i wholeheartedly recommend TS.... it is an absolutely captivating game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife won't play any of my games for a variety of reasons, so I can't comment on the spousal angle. But how good is TS? So good that even wargamers will play it. And we're a cranky, hard to please lot. That's how good it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
I have no idea why Twilight Struggle is flagged as a wargame on BGG. It had no units and no combat. Yes, it's historical conflict but virtually every game has conflict and history is hardly exclusive to wargames for theme. Don't factor in your dislike of wargames; this is a different beast.

I like it a lot, but have only played twice so I defer to the more experienced opinions.

A big part of that is probably that it was published by GMT, a traditional wargame company, and the early players were almost exclusively wargamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a wargame, because it's a simulation of a war. Specifically the Cold War. And I know you can argue that the cold war is not a war, but it is, otherwise, it wouldn't be called the Cold War.

We can discuss whether or not it is a good simulation of the Cold War in another thread.

If I made a Memoir '44 clone which was a simulation of a game of Red Rover, that would not be a wargame, even if the mechanics were exactly the same. Because Memoir '44 is depicting Battles in a War, that makes it a war game. It's a pretty easy distinction... We're talking about theme, not mechanics.

If you want to talk about Mechanics, there is no such thing as a war game, short of maybe Paintball...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the repetition...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex DeGuy
Belarus
Gomel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:
It's a wargame, because it's a simulation of a war.

Huh? Simulation?
I roll six, you roll two. I just won Korean war. Yay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Heilman
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:

Yes, this is my issue with it. I've only played once, as the Americans, and it became clear how unbalanced the game is, at least in the early stages. I literally went the first four turns only drawing one US-exclusive military operation. Bad luck, to be sure, but it really made the experience of playing unpleasant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Jeff
United States
Sterling
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
FinnTroll wrote:
SybotCB wrote:
It's a wargame, because it's a simulation of a war.

Huh? Simulation?
I roll six, you roll two. I just won Korean war. Yay.

I don't recall ever saying whether or not it was a good simulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, someone needs to make a geeklist of "games of war that aren't wargames", list about 10-20 of'em, and enjoy the carnage that inevitably follows. I'd do it myself, but I have neither the time nor ambition to bother.

It's OK if it's been done before - I like the repetition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad Reznik
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
twilight struggle is an excellent game if you're patient enough to learn it. it's a little tough at first, but should be ok since you guys are both fairly experienced with games. it's also a game that rewards playing repeatedly with the same person and learning the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
nyfilmfest wrote:
Yes, this is my issue with it. I've only played once, as the Americans, and it became clear how unbalanced the game is, at least in the early stages. I literally went the first four turns only drawing one US-exclusive military operation. Bad luck, to be sure, but it really made the experience of playing unpleasant!

If you're not exaggerating then this would not be so unbalanced, because the Soviet player would have to be drawing all of your events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lester
United States
new orleans
LA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Its not THAT bad.

Early favors Soviet
Mid is pretty even
Late favors American

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider it one of the best games ever.

I don't know if it will be good for you and your wife but it is a great game for two people to play over and over. Managing the cards and board position make every game unique and interesting even if you have played it against the same person dozen of times.

What makes it great to me is the tension of the game. Each turn you have to figure out what your hand means and the best way to play it and guess at what your opponents hand is like and how to counter it. I haven't found any game of this type I like nearly as much, 1960 is fine but it plays very differently and is not as good.

As to whether it is a war game, I don't know but I do like the repetition. A cold war is a war without warfare so a cold war game could be a war game without war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.