GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,384 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

The Wreck of the B.S.M. Pandora» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few more questions about rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have returned to the game recently and ran into a few more rule troubles i am not able to answer:

1. Can crew members use their repair capabilities to repair each other or even themselves?
There is nothing in the rules like they cannot. Also the statement [11.7] talks clearly. I am not sure about that though, it seems to be too easy way.

2. What happens when a bot controlled by a crew member gets engaged in a combat and the crew member leaves the room?
The word "the control" is really clarified only vaguely in the rules [12.1]. It basically means that the bot follows the crew member instead of being carried. However when the human leaves the room, the bot is not being controlled and since it must not act independently [12.0, general rule] should it stop responding to the attacker?

3. How do we work with the stunned crew members who get engaged in a combat?
It actually happened to me that both the crew member and the specimen were stunned by a stun-bomb. The specimen came around in the end of the turn, but not the human. The specimen reacted on the stunned human and carried out a kill. I have no clue what to do next. [9.7]

4. Is it right that when a specimen with a lower impair than the defender's shield and a higher shield than the defender's impair (thus both CDs negative) get locked in a combat and so is the solitaire game?
Is that a never ending lock? No damage on either side? I must be missing something ... [9.0, procedure]

If anyone can help, please ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1: Yes. Crew can repair worn rigs and bots on eachother. But I'd say theyd have to hand off weapons and other handhelds to the repair savvy member for those to be repaired.

2: The bot fights till it or the specimine are down. If the crew that was controlling it hasnt returned in that span then it deactivates. See section 12.1

3: That one I'll have to look up as its an interesting conundrum. hmmm.
Grabbing the book and glancing over the rules. Id say that on awakening the specimine should roll for Reaction to see what it does next. This follows through with the entry for section 9.6 which states that attackers are Engaged until stunned.

4: Since there is a factor of a dice roll in the combat. There is allways the chance of scoring a hit I believe as the roll can conceivibly push the attackers Impair score past the defenders Shield.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
1: Yes. Crew can repair worn rigs and bots on eachother. But I'd say theyd have to hand off weapons and other handhelds to the repair savvy member for those to be repaired.

So a crew member can repair himself/herself?

Omega2064 wrote:
2: The bot fights till it or the specimine are down. If the crew that was controlling it hasnt returned in that span then it deactivates. See section 12.1

Why not. But the rules state that the bot must not take any action while not controlled. On the other hand there is the combat engagement rule, which says the opposite. But this sound right, thank you.

Omega2064 wrote:
3: That one I'll have to look up as its an interesting conundrum. hmmm.
Grabbing the book and glancing over the rules. Id say that on awakening the specimine should roll for Reaction to see what it does next. This follows through with the entry for section 9.6 which states that attackers are Engaged until stunned.

I just don't know. There is nothing about fighting stunned humans in the rule book.

Omega2064 wrote:
4: Since there is a factor of a dice roll in the combat. There is allways the chance of scoring a hit I believe as the roll can conceivibly push the attackers Impair score past the defenders Shield.

You are right, thank you - i see you still roll a dice for the damage even if the damage CD is negative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Crew can repair their own stuff.

As for stunned humans. Count them as "not there" and have the awakened specimine react accordingly as per regular movement/reaction rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John thank you, but having said "repair" i mean "heal up" or "increase their stamina". There are bots, pods and tools that can "repair crew". That's why i was using that awkward word "repair".
I mean - can a crew member use his/her repair skill to increase his/her own stamina?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Section 10.5 Says that a crewmember can for example use the Decon Pod to repair themselves.

11.7 and elsewhere says that the repair rating of crew can be used to repair any function. So assuming the crew has a repair rating at all. Then they can perform first aid on themselves and/or others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeeshkul wrote:
1. Can crew members use their repair capabilities to repair each other or even themselves?
There is nothing in the rules like they cannot. Also the statement [11.7] talks clearly. I am not sure about that though, it seems to be too easy way.

Agree with answers given above: yes.

yeeshkul wrote:
2. What happens when a bot controlled by a crew member gets engaged in a combat and the crew member leaves the room?
The word "the control" is really clarified only vaguely in the rules [12.1]. It basically means that the bot follows the crew member instead of being carried. However when the human leaves the room, the bot is not being controlled and since it must not act independently [12.0, general rule] should it stop responding to the attacker?

If the bot is in the crew member's stack the entire stack, including the crew member, is "engaged in combat" and may not leave the room or perform any activity aside from combat. If the crew member is remotely controlling the bot but also in the same pod the crew member may exit if his speed is greater than the specimen's.

yeeshkul wrote:
3. How do we work with the stunned crew members who get engaged in a combat?
It actually happened to me that both the crew member and the specimen were stunned by a stun-bomb. The specimen came around in the end of the turn, but not the human. The specimen reacted on the stunned human and carried out a kill. I have no clue what to do next. [9.7]

I don't recall if the rules discuss the shield rating of a stunned opponent; I would either go with carry out the combat as normal but without a damage check or be merciful and say that stunned crew are ignored.

yeeshkul wrote:
4. Is it right that when a specimen with a lower impair than the defender's shield and a higher shield than the defender's impair (thus both CDs negative) get locked in a combat and so is the solitaire game?
Is that a never ending lock? No damage on either side? I must be missing something ... [9.0, procedure]

No. In this case (per 9.0/Procedures/fourth sentence) "no combat takes place" so the units are not "engaged in combat"; however, if the crew member's speed doesn't exceed the specimen/bot's speed the crew member cannot leave the pod. The specimen/bot gets a reaction check the following round which may cause a specimen to flee allowing the crew member to escape; but Berserk Bots (aggression 9, intelligence 9) don't have a "flee" result so the crew member is stuck forever (unless another crew member comes to the rescue).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattails 'n Crabgrass
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Instead of starting another topic on the same subject, I'll just add to this one. Here's a few im not quite sure about...

1: Do I just roll one die, rather than two, to generate the stats for the lifeforms? I was going to use two dice but saw that the Reaction Table Chart has max of 9 for Intelligence and Aggression which would result from a 6+3 (max roll + max adjustment)

2: When starting the game with a character placed in a random pod, am I supposed to also roll for a possible discovery? (other than the the standard pod placed in each of the rounded chambers)

3: When running away from a lifeform and your speed is greater, does the creature still follow you into the next room on their next move?

4: What's the difference between Port and Weight? From what I understand, you can carry numerous tools as long as their total port value does not exceed the character's rating. If weight is used to attempt to carry a stunned lifeform, then why do tools have a weight rating if the Port rating determines that same effect? Or do both values tallied up have to be lower than the character's ratings?

5: If there are no threatening lifeforms to contended with and Cold Shutdown has not been initiated, can tools and health be repaired to maximum turn after turn in unlimited number of times if I keep returning to that particular pod to make repairs?

6: Can starting Stamina be repaired beyond the generated dice roll (i.e. 7)to the maximum of 9, or is the number you rolled the highest you can have (7)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1: section 4.0 explains the rolling. Particularly sections 4.3 and 4.4.
1 for Repair and Weight for crew, 2 for Shield, Stamina, Port & Speed for crew. Creatures use 2 dice plus or minus the amount listed on its counter, and +2 if there are more than 3 players. And this total is reffrenced on the map table for a result of 1 to 9.

2: Section 7 explains Discovery and mentions that it is checked if a player starts in a section. So Yes. You would check discovery upon waking at the appropriate phase.

3: From reading the rules a few times its looks to be as per hasty movement. IE: you'd roll normal reaction if the creature hasnt allready made its reaction that phase. So it may or may not give chase depending on those factors.

4: Port is how much a unit can carry, Weight is how much a unit weighs for purposes of being carried. This is for purposes of dragging creatures into restraining pods or dragging a player to a med pod. See entry 13.4.

5: Yes (Assuming you dont botch a roll or something causes that sector to fail.)

6: Section 11.5 has the answer. Crew can be healed to higher than their starting Stamina, up to a max of 9.

Hope that helps. Not positive on #3. But thats the best answer I came up with at a glance through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattails 'n Crabgrass
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes. That helps alot.
For #3, I would assume that it doesn't.
What could make the scenario (a house rule) interesting is that to escape, you must also use hasty movement and move 2 spaces to outrun the specimen. However, the specimen would only move 1 space into the first room you entered (since it has a lower speed) then stop as it lost track of you. Of course, this specimen could block you in future turns since you lead it into that room as you escaped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Still trying to pin down the mechanics of it as the bits are scattered through the rules.

But the rules for discovery, scanning and reaction should apply still if the crew didnt put distance between them and the creature. It can still see them in the adjoining room they fled into and likely should get a standard reaction check if hasn't acted allready.
A creature that was psychotic one minute could be placid on the very next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically I agree with John throughout, but just to expand on Art's question 3:

Per 8.0: "Whenever a Phasing unit enters, occupies, exits, or visually scans a space containing a specimen(s), the unit may be detected by the specimen." For the crew, these actions are only performed during the Movement phase, but the specimen's reaction is only determined during the Reaction phase.

If a crew member or bot uses normal movement to leave an occupied space this exit triggers a normal reaction check with the specimen possibly fleeing or moving into the space newly occupied by the crew member or bot -- a "kill" result means the specimen doesn't move, as it only attacks within its space.

If a crew member or bot uses hasty movement to leave an occupied space (and does not reenter the space) this exit triggers a special reaction check per 5.9 as if the space had been visually scanned, i.e., with a -3 on the specimen's Intelligence Rating. Again, a "kill" result means the specimen doesn't move. The Move result only applies if the crew member ended their move in an adjacent space as specimens may only move one space and if they can't perform their reaction results they "remain stationary and do nothing" (section 6.0).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattails 'n Crabgrass
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just to make this clear, let's use an example.

Kelly, enters tube A14 (without scanning) and discovers Blind Pig. Kelly decides to run away (his speed is higher) into pod A1. So, by exiting tube A14, this triggers another reaction check?
A "kill" result means the Blind Pig stays in tube A14 in this case.
A "move" result puts the Blind Pig in the same tube as Kelly.
Which way does the Blind Pig go on a "flee" result. Does that mean it still follows Kelly? Or does it go elsewhere? What if the only way to go was the same that Kelly went?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noting that Hasty Movement needs to be declared at the beginning of the Movement Phase ("Run away!" house rules excepted), both entering and exiting serve as triggers for the Blind Pig's single Reaction Check; one check, two triggers.

On Flee results, roll for each possible exit: the specimen takes the high roll regardless of where Kelly went. Basically the specimen isn't so much fleeing from Kelly as it is fleeing the space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattails 'n Crabgrass
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When moving into the Risor space, do we still roll for a possible discovery? Or is it always empty, unless specimen moves in.
I thought I read somewhere we don't, but now I cant seem to find it in the rules.

By the way, Im elongating the Pandora. A new graphically-enhanced map is on the way with roughly 10-12 more spaces, and additional counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Treat a Risor space as any other space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattails 'n Crabgrass
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1) I would like some clarification for #4.

So if im understanding this right, the turbolaser with a Port 2 can carry items with a combined weight rating of 2. For example, I could put the CompCom (weight 2) on the Turbolaser unit but nothing else?
But if the character equips the Turbolaser it only costs him 3 port?

The U-Bot can carry items with a port of 3 whereas the EVAbot cannot with a 0?

2) What do some of you do when you draw a specimen in the same space with a hull breach during discovery? I like to just remove it from the game as that area killed it from a lack of proper environment when it was locked inside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Port number simply tells you the total weight it can carry.
2) I would do it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattails 'n Crabgrass
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This has nothing to do with the rules, but has anyone figured out what the abbreviations in the bot names stand for?

Ambot = ?
Erobot = Erotic bot
EVAbot = Extravehicular activity
Imrebot = ?
Ubot = ?
Reconbot = Reconassaince bot
Specibot = Specimen bot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Biofury wrote:
1) I would like some clarification for #4.

So if im understanding this right, the turbolaser with a Port 2 can carry items with a combined weight rating of 2. For example, I could put the CompCom (weight 2) on the Turbolaser unit but nothing else?
But if the character equips the Turbolaser it only costs him 3 port?

I think the 2-Port is a misprint and it should be 2-Repair instead; as printed a crewman can use the turbolaser's port rating in place of the crewman's natural port rating -- the turbolaser can't carry anything itself.

Biofury wrote:
The U-Bot can carry items with a port of 3 whereas the EVAbot cannot with a 0?

That is correct.

Biofury wrote:
2) What do some of you do when you draw a specimen in the same space with a hull breach during discovery? I like to just remove it from the game as that area killed it from a lack of proper environment when it was locked inside.

That would be a rare circumstance as it requires creating a hull breach during EVA into an unexplored pod; although I suppose it could be adopted as a systematic method of safely eliminating specimens. I would go with having the specimen dead-on-discovery due to the hull breach. I am not sure who would get the VP: the hull-breach creator or the discoverer; probably the creator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My guesses:

Ambot = AMbulatory Bot
Erobot = Erotic bot
Imrebot = Internal Maintenance and REpair Bot
Ubot = Utility Bot
Specibot = Specimen bot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattails 'n Crabgrass
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Robert, you mean I'm not supposed to add the hull breach counters to the discovery draw pile?
I've been playing with the possibility of some spaces already breached. Makes sense to me since the ship crash landed, some areas would be environmentally compromised. I dont mind them being dead on the spot. I added newer specimens and a 4th deck anyways so there will be plenty of trouble to go around in addition to a few new hazards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Biofury wrote:
Robert, you mean I'm not supposed to add the hull breach counters to the discovery draw pile?

Adding them to the draw pile isn't part of the standard rules, but it can be done as a variant -- could be a very short game if one turns up at set up! Note that the flip side of the hull breach counters is the open Exterior Lock counter, so you would need to dig through the draw pile to mark an opened Exlok, Scapelok, or Landlok (or create separate counters). Hull breaches can be created and closed by the EVAbot and the Turbolaser.

Biofury wrote:
I've been playing with the possibility of some spaces already breached. Makes sense to me since the ship crash landed, some areas would be environmentally compromised. I dont mind them being dead on the spot. I added newer specimens and a 4th deck anyways so there will be plenty of trouble to go around in addition to a few new hazards.

I have seen the status of the ship referred to as "crash landed on an inhospitable planet" and as "drifting in space." I tend to go with the drifting scenario in which discovered hull breaches are either the result of on-board explosions or micro-meteor impacts. In the "crash-land scenario specimens discovered in breached areas could be native fauna and while unaffected by the hull breach would die in the regular atmosphere of the Pandora.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an article explaining their fuctions but cant seem to find it at the moment.

I believe the Erobot was a personal and recreational robot. Ubot was Utility.

I'll keep hunting the article.

Biofury wrote:
This has nothing to do with the rules, but has anyone figured out what the abbreviations in the bot names stand for?

Ambot = ?
Erobot = Erotic bot
Imrebot = ?
Ubot = ?
Specibot = Specimen bot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattails 'n Crabgrass
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Am I doing the stun procedure here correctly?
I'm using the stunrod and switch to stun mode, I begin combat with a differential of +1, and I roll a "2", therefore getting a "-" result. Does the critter get knocked out but does not take any shield damage? Or do you have to deal damage in order for the stun effect to work?
In other words, is a roll of a 2 or 3 in stun mode always a stun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.