GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,309 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Runebound (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: 4 FFG adventure games, which is the best and why? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there, some of you may remember me from a few months ago when I posted asking about the differences between World of Warcraft: The Boardgame and Runebound. I've decided to revise my question a little, and include two other games made by Fantasy Flight that also fall into the Adventure genre, World of Warcraft: The Adventure Game and Talisman. I will also be posting this in each of the different game's forums here on BGG to try to get responses from people who like each of them (since they're most likely to frequent the forums of games they enjoy most). Still, what I'd really like to here from, are people who have played 2 or more of them, or better yet all 4.

Essentially, here is what got me wondering, the games are rated on BGG as

RB: 7.06

Talisman: 6.86

WoW:TBG: 6.73

WoW:TAG: 6.42

Now I know that BGG ratings are more of a collection of a lot of different people's "feelings" on a game, rather than a steadfast, always true report of how good a game is. Still, it can sometimes be a pretty general indicator of how good a game is or isn't.

Also since all the games are made by the same company (FFG), yet only Runebound and Talisman are still actively receiving expansions\support it would seem that Fantasy Flight's sales numbers indicate something close to the overall BGG ratings (assuming they make expansions for games that sell well).

I've played WoW: TBG and enjoy it. It's problems of downtime and playtime were lessened once my group figured out how to plan during the other faction's turn. Yet it is often ripped on for these two drawbacks, as well as the lack of interaction between the teams (no reason to PvP mainly, something that bothered me and my gaming friends also). Yet Runebound has several of these complaints also, and doesn't even have you interacting with other members of your own team. Hence, why is it so much more popular? Does it play quickly if you have fewer players? Is combat more interesting? Are there more interesting decisions to be made?

I could ask similar questions of Talisman, why is it now in its fourth edition with loads of expansions and so much more infinitely popular than WoW:TAG? Are people just being nostalgic when they rate it? I've never played Talisman, but the members of my gaming group who have don't have anything good to say of it (to be fair, 1 of them hated WoW:TBG also, though the others liked WoW:TBG somewhat).

I guess overall I'm just interested in people's thoughts on the games. I've only played WoW:TBG out of any of them, but I do own and enjoy both Descent and Runewars so I like the Terrinoth setting an awful lot. Hence I was considering buying Runebound, yet it seems so similar to WoW:TBG as to be a waste of money.

Do you think the four game's ranks on BGG are fair\accurate? If so why? If not, why not? What are your ratings (1 to 10 scale) of each game?

Thanks for reading my rambling, and any responses. I'm also reading reviews on each of the games as well as their online rulebooks, but I was hoping to get some feedback from people who had played the games and hated\loved any of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked into WoW and it didn't look a thing like Runebound, have not played it though so I can't say 100% but I did not see any similarities from what I read. I have played Talisman, I thought it was ok. With my group though it never really saw much play as many people either didn't like it or complain about character imbalance (this was the first or second edition of the game things may be better now). I can tell you the guy that owns Talisman never brings it out and always wants to play Runebound. I would not judge a game much on the BBG rating though, Runebound sees more play demand with me and mine than other games far higher up the ranking like Smallworld, Arkham Horror, and Runewars. It really is almost luck of the draw for how it ends up appealing to your game group as well as yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
My ratings are more like
Runebound 9
WoW tAG 8
WoW tBG 6
Talisman 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW - the Boardgame should not be on this list as it is really its own beast, very centered on character development and not do much on exploration, which is kind of the theme of the other three games.

Runebound is fun, but can be long, and if gets long it will get repetitive. However, if the group is in the right mood it can be a very relaxing experience. The expansions also contribute to the whole exploration thing.

Talisman is very straightforward but can be fun with the right group. But I think it mostly succeeds in being a family adventure game. It closes the gap between generations and its simple mechanisms are easy to grasp. The amount of luck involved will also put grown-ups and kids on the same level.

World of Warcraft the Adventur game is also interesting, a littel bit more complex than the other two, but somehow equaly repetitive. Also, some charachters are reported to be stronger than others.

Of all those offers I prefer Runebound because of the size of its universe. Repetition seems to be a trend with those games, but Rnebound is just a bigger game (more heroes, more expansions, more loot, more monsters, different settings, etc.).

Hope I could help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the comments so far. I have moved the thread to http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/5045553#5045553 at someone's recommendation. Sorry I can't delete the whole original threads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Smith
msg tools
mbmb
Having played only RB and WoW:Tag, I can only commment on them. Imho RB is far more enjoyable than WoW:Tag. The lvl up system in WoW:Tag is disappointing to say the least, which is an aspect that all of my gaming group find fun. WoW:Tag seems to promote playing WoW:TBG instead, with its big advertisement at the back. This suggests that WoW:TBG is really the WoW game to play (apart from the mmorpg!) and that it's 'Advanced'.
In any case WoW:Tag just sits on the shelf collecting dust.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.