GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,873 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: So I have a complicated problem... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I am Awesome
msg tools
Which was put on the back burner when trying to find a place for this post. Hopefully a moderator will just kind of throw it in the right place once he skims it.

Anyway, I'm a nerd through and through, and for the most part I find boards considerably limiting, but I saw the amount of table top minature game rules you guys had on here and thought that I may have a chance at a knowledgable base. I run games like DnD, and Runequest, and a few others of less notable and more questionable backgrounds.

I'm currently running a Runequest game that takes place both in an out of the astral plane (which is more like outerspace for my party of adventurerers) who fly around in a mastless galleon from world to world in their daunting escapades that take them all over the vast array of planes that exist in my psuedo-reality.

Well in my particular campaign setting the astral plane itself is cut up amongst many gods and kings that rule the planes of existence. example: some one governs the business of all the travelers between the four elemental planes and the material plane, some one else governs the planes that make up heaven and hell respectively, so on and so forth for a bunch of other listless realms, but anyway.

I'm running into problems with the introduction of battles between ships in the astral plane (which for the most part is like outer space). I need a real good recommedation of what games to look at, as far as table top wargaming rules, I could buy/steal/borrow that would help me make this vision a reality.

I need a system of rules that allows for...

A Hexless table
Simplicity of understanding/converting and ultimately playing.
Whose movement paralells that of zero-g physics (unlike Fire as She Bears)
Whose rules don't rely heavily on their created minatures
And who don't have "special command" prompts essential to play like Close the Blast Doors or something equally hard to adapt or explain.

I would have loved to use Star Fleet Battles idea with ship sheets, but I'm having an extremely difficult time trying to make conversions (logically or mechanically) for their power tracks, and shield systems, life support, and things like that.

At first glance I also thought that Starmada would have been a very adaptable system but after reading some reviews it seems as if people (other than the die hard 1st edition traditionalists) didn't like it very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if something like Aeronef would be kind of what you're looking for. It's designed for Victorian era ships that hover over the landscape. Maybe this could be adopted to an older era.

Sky Galleons of Mars might be another one to look at.

Yet another option is Spelljammer: War Captain's Companion. It's a sword and sorcery in space combat system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Awesome
msg tools
There's another one like aeronef coming out soon that looked really cool too.

http://monstersinthesky.com/

I've never heard of aeronef though, are it's rules simpler?

Spelljammer makes it look like someone else had this idea before more (sigh) but that's definately not going to work, because it's like...an upscaled version of a dungeon crawl (with monsters and stuff)

Aeronef and that other one seem promising though, have you ever played them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Glisson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
www.scottsigler.com/gfl
badge
I'm gonna keep signing my posts so just let it go already.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not completely sure what you are after here but if you want a naval space combat game with simple mechanics that you could create stats to match your existing models have a look at Firestorm Armada.

Kraken Fan #69

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so my take is that, in space, its relationships that matter. Are you in front of, behind, over, under, left, or right of my ship. Beyond that its range; however, there is a very limited range where anything matters. If this is no-powder fantasy then we are talking about grapples and boarding parties or ramming distances, if this is powder fantasy then we are talking about cannon range. Beyond that you're headed in different directions (moot) or its a chase of some sort. I'd think a simple set of cards and a few piloting skill checks would let you maneuver for advantage (perhaps going above something is like using your hull as a shield, guns may only fire on a single plane [pun intended], or sideswipes might not be as damaging as full on rams) between these orientations (two captains roll, winner decides relationship). I'd play with this idea before trying to convert a space combat system. Remember, if your players wanted to play astral/space combat games then they would already be playing Star Fleet Battles, they're your players because they are interested in story - why complicate matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Artoos
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mease19 wrote:
Ok, so my take is that, in space, its relationships that matter.

That's a solid principle. D20 Modern has a system revolving around this concept, if I recall correctly. The D20 Future supplement might have updated this for space combat too.

The question really is what you expect the system to do. Full-on 3D, or would a 2D approximation suffice? What kind of stuff can and should these ships do? And based on what (physical strength of the crew at the oars takes care of propulsion or is it something else)? Are there non-existing fenomena you want to implement (some sort of currents or winds among the stars or whatever, for instance)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might take a look at Full Thrust.

It's fairly simple and designed to be used with 'home brew' fleets.

Also, if you want to find more info on Miniature Games, another good resource for that genre is http://theminiaturespage.com/ It's more focused towards miniature games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say that Full Thrust (think large ships, broadsides) and Silent Death (better for fighters, cat and mouse) are quite good games and straight forward in their rules. Both have vessel sheets (think character sheets for each vessel) in which you track information. You might want to consider how much information you want to track regarding each vessel.

I think there are also some interesting questions you should ask regarding consequences in the astral plane. Such as:

What happens when you abandon ship?
Is it like space and you float away or is it like under water and you are destroyed.

What happens when a ship is destroyed?
Does it implode, does it break up, does it plane shift...

Are there essential parts of your ship that can be broken and what happens then?
Does a hole in the hull mean anything? Do astrals come pouring in or air leak out? Does a broken rudder send in a random direction? Can your propulsion be hindered or stuck on "rabbit"?

How do your weapons target these weaknesses?
Do you use Greek fire to destroy the hull? Do you have to board the ship to attack the crew? Do you use cannons or catapults to break up the hull?

These will all determine how a homebrewed ship combat system should work mechanically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.