United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Episode 8 of BoardgameSpeak has been posted!

In this episode Derk and I speak with Ben and Marcia Baldanza about their gaming backgrounds, election games, Marcia's use of games in education, and Ben's adult education gaming classes. We also get an in-depth audio review of Betrayal at House on the Hill from roving reporter Ted Cheatham and we take some user questions.

120 Minutes.

You can subscribe in iTunes here:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcas...

AAC is 28.2 MB:
http://www.bggfiles.com/boardgamespeak/BGS-2004-11-07.m4b

MP3 is 27.5 MB:
http://www.bggfiles.com/boardgamespeak/BGS-2004-11-07.mp3

As always, you can leave us comments or questions at: 1-800-849-4236

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beyond Monopoly!
Another great show and thanks for taking my call. Marcia's comments and advice about using games in schools will be a big help to me when I start the after school game club at my daughter's school in February.

I was blown away that Ben is running classes for adults -- we don't have any of those here (SF Bay Area) or if we do I can't find any. Seems like such a good idea though, and Ben made reference to his Yahoo group which can be found here: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/teachbg/

So all that, and Ted's excellent review of Betrayal, and all those election games -- thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Jost
United States
GIlroy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Democrazy
Reminds me *a lot* of a game that I can't remember the name of (grrrrrr...) that's in the public domain. The game starts with fixed/constitutional laws and unfixed laws. I remember there aren't that many. There are a certain amount of tokens that each player start with and then the players, under the existing framework of laws, attempt to find a way to win.

Gosh I wish I could remember the name of that game...I ran into it years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Jost
United States
GIlroy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nomic
Remembered the name: Nomic

Its not in the database I've requested an addition. It should pop up in a few weeks and die in obscurity. There are various web games being played. Its arguably one of the best government simulators out.

FAQ is here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Jost
United States
GIlroy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nomic
Enclosure doesn't seem to have worked:
http://www.nomic.net/~nomicwiki/index.php/NomicFaq

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
good job
Since this episode is slow to pick up comments I am going to add in my weekly, keep it up, this is fun to listen to comment.

keep it up this is fun to listen to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
R & R Games
Whatever became of the Frank DiLorenzo episode?

Stephen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Re: GeekSpeak Episode 8 - Part 1
Franky D's episode was too horrible to air. We got into this huge fight about the validity of the questions in Smarty Party and so we had to shitcan the whole episode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Wow! Sounds like vintage radio to me.

Stephen
(Howard Stern junkie)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
(done in the Foghorn Leghorn voice) That's sarcasm, boy! Listen to me when I'm talkin' to ya... 'T'ain't you been 'round me long enough to know? Naw... Aldie's havin' some technical issues, but you'll be hearin' that next one real shortly like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Nuts, I was rather looking forward to a huge fight. Maybe you and Mark Jackson can get into a pissing match about something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Pival
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross Reference the podcasts?
Hi, long time first time - just getting into the whole "real" gaming thing, and am finding these interviews incredibly interesting and useful - thanks guys!

As I was walking in to work listing to 8.1 this morning, I thought how cool it would be if you could somehow cross reference these podcasts to the actual game pages here on the site. Perhaps a new section down in the reviews area... Obviously you couldn't cover every game that's mentioned in passing, but if there's a 5-minute section that talks about the ins and outs of game X, could there be a link on that game's page to GeekSpeek episode 7.2 at time code 32:45?

Obviously not a link right to that point, but a link to the episode file, and all I have to do is skip to that time code to hear what's said about it. An index of the episodes, is what it would boil down to I guess... Would also be useful on each episode introduction page to know which games are covered perhaps.

Yes, a lot of work, but geekilicious if the site could be enhanced with multimedia this way, eh?

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been listening to GeekSpeaks on my Palm on the train. Usually I have the volume cranked up so I can hear it over the train and other passengers. When Ted Cheatham comes on, people start glaring at me, because they can hear screeching through my ear buds and it disrupts their reading. Go Ted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.