GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,384 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Race for the Galaxy: The Brink of War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Everybody tied for prestige rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gavin Cooper
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This came up in a game yesterday. I've read the rules carefully and I think we played it right, but it'd be nice to confirm it.

Basically, what happens if everybody in the game is tied for the amount of prestige that they have? Does everybody get a VP token? Or does nobody get one? The important thing being, of course, that the answer will help determine how long the game goes on for.

The rules say "If two or more players, each with at least one prestige, tie for the most prestige at the end of a phase, place the Prestige Leader tile, "=" side face up, in the center"

It also says "If... two or more players are tied for the prestige lead, then each such player gains 1 VP chip".

If two people out of three are tied for the prestige lead, that's pretty obvious. There is a lead, and they're tied for it. If all three have the same amount of prestige, it's not clear if that's considered a lead or not. Common sense says there isn't a lead, but the specific criteria as detailed by the rules seem to fit (two or more people tied, they have at least 1 prestige chip each). If it IS considered a lead, and all three are tied, then does that also work if they're all tied on zero? The first quote suggests that having zero prestige is special and different to having positive prestige - but it also suggests a weird wrinkle I haven't spotted anywhere else (if you become prestige leader with 1 and the others have 0, and you spend that prestige so you're all on 0 again, you DON'T return the tile to the centre?!)

In short, the more I wrote here the more confused I got Just re-read all this - it would make sense if the tile was considered not to be on the table at all unless at least one person had at least one prestige. So if everyone is on 0 prestige there's no leader tie (tile is off-table and nobody gets a VP) but if everyone has 1 prestige then they are all tied (tile is on-table and in the centre, everyone gets a VP). In the example I cited, if the game returns to a point where everyone has 0 prestige, the rules that govern returning it to the centre do not kick in because it's now off-table again. But I haven't found anything in the rules that says this or talks about the tile going in and out of play - it just talks about it being in the centre or belonging to an individual player...

Can anyone clarify, please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
My interpretation.

The only requirement for being in the lead is having at least one prestige and having at least as much prestige as everyone else. So a 5 way tie means everyone gets 1 point at the beginning of the next round. (which speeds up the game and perhaps scores somebody a goal quicker...)

That is at least how I plan on playing it.

Bottom line: You never score a prestige leader bonus is you have 0 prestige.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Michael. As long as you have more than 0 prestige, it doesn't matter if everyone is tied... they are tied for the lead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My interpretation

When gaining prestige:
If you have the marker, place your prestige on the marker.

At end of each phase:
If one person has the most prestige points and has the marker, they keep the marker on the ">=" side.
If one person has the most prestige points and does not have the marker, the person with the marker (if any) moves all prestige chips on the marker to their pile and relinquishes the marker to the new leader who places it in front of them with the ">=" side up. They place the prestige earned this round on the marker.
If no player has the most prestige points, the person with the marker moves all prestige points off of the marker (if any) and moves the marker to the center of the table, flipping it to the "=" side.

At start of turn:
If someone has the marker and it has a prestige chip on it, they get a card + a normal VP chip.
If someone has the marker and it does not have a prestige chip on it, they get a normal VP chip.
If no-one has the marker then all players who have at least one prestige and who are tied for the lead each gain a normal VP chip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
At end of turn:

At the start of each turn. Important detail because otherwise the game could end a turn earlier due to an emptied VP pool.

As for the issue at hand, i can't/won't fully visualize how all of the subtleties work until i've actually got my hands on BoW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yes, if all players have at least one and the same amount of prestige, they all receive 1 VP at the *start* of the round.

(Just like the rules say... ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
At end of turn:

At the start of each turn.

Fixed my original post, thank you - and that means that Prestige Leader doesn't get a bonus VP chip the very last round of the game, which was an error last time we played that will be corrected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

At start of turn:
If someone has the marker and it has a prestige chip on it (gained AFTER they gained the marker), they get a card + a normal VP chip.

This doesn't match the rule book.

Quote:
Check prestige at the end of each phase. If one player has more prestige than anyone else, then he takes the Prestige Leader tile, “>” side face up, and places it in front of him (returning any prestige on it to its previous holder), placing any (unspent) prestige he earned that phase on top of it.

If I gain enough prestige in a phase to take over the marker and then earn no more prestige that turn, I'll still get to draw a card as long as no one has taken the marker away from me.

It sounds like you were only summarizing this part:
Quote:
Whenever a sole Prestige Leader earns prestige, put those chips on top of the Prestige Leader tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Cooper
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
(Just like the rules say... ;-)

I wouldn't dare contradict the game designer, that sort of thing never ends well

Thanks for the clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Couch
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does matter as it is not quite a zero sum, due to Gal Ren
(all victory points are equal, but some are more equal than others )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.