Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: GeekSpeak 8 = Alien Community rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Pass
Canada
Regina
SK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I'm going for an 8 hour drive on Wednesday so I figured that I would burn the current GeekSpeak episode to a CD. Thinking ahead, I decided to put in track stops every 10 minutes, just in case I got sidetracked and wanted to get back (relatively close) to the place I was before.

After adding the splits to the track, and buring it to a CD, when I tested it in Windows Media player, it was identified as "Alien Community, Part 1&2". surprise

Here's an Amazon link for those interested: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000000P25/ref...

I'm not sure if this is some sort of message, but maybe it's just a random occurance, or maybe there's something more to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
happened before to me
Sometimes, when I have burned a CD of -whatever- the detect software will see it as something else. I think the first few bytes, or some kind of checksum is how the software detects which CD is which. Sometimes, two disks will happen to have the same binary data in the right place to get a false ID. Just my theory, not from any real detailed knowledege of how this works, but I think I'm at least partially right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Persson
Sweden
Linköping
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless I'm mistaken, at least CDDB works like this: the number of songs and the lengths of the songs is used as the key to a database of album titles. I don't know if the Windows player works the same way, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Pass
Canada
Regina
SK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple explaination.
Sure, that's the simple explanation.

Of course, maybe you're just saying that to cover up a great conspiracy.

(Hopefully they don't know that I know that they know that I know! Wait, am I typing my inner monologue again? Or are they reading my mind! DAMN ALIENS!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.