Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Operation Gamer Wife is underway! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike P
United States
Castleton
New York
flag msg tools
Check out my blog, Board Game Radar!!!
badge
Stop! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am trying to turn my wife into a gamer. Actually my goals are a bit lower, I'm really just trying to help her understand how fun playing games can be. I don't need her to play regularly (although that would be nice!), I'm really just hoping she will understand my obsession and play occasionally, without me needing to twist her arm. It is so tough to get her to play a game, I think I may only have one realistic shot at showing her the light. Therefore, I previously asked for your help in picking just the right game. See my previous journal entry for the full info:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekjournal.php3?action=viewcom...

I was leaning toward Carcassonne (or something in the Carc family, like Ark of the Covenant), but thanks to many good suggestions decided to try 10 Days in Africa. She wants to go to Africa, we have an Africa room in our house (it's got pictures, maps, and objects from my trip to Africa) and I even proposed to her at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge. Bottom line: she digs Africa and I decided to go with a theme she would like, more than with a game that may play better.

So my plan is now officially underway. I was buying a game for my nephew (Hisss, based on a cool Geeklist Denise posted:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekjournal.php3?action=viewcom...

I put 10 Days in Africa on the order, also. When I told her, this is how the conversation went:

Me: Honey, when I ordered that game for Bryce, I put another game on my order.

Her: Uh huh?

Me: It was only $14 and it looks really cool. It's about planning a trip to Africa!

Her: Oh, that sounds cool! DD

Now, let's hope that she means "That sounds cool!" and not "That sounds cool, for you."

I'll continue to keep you posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Lettieri
Italy
Pomezia
flag msg tools
LL
badge
Magnus
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure she didn't mean "that sounds cool, when do we leave?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Operation Normal Husband
I have tried this.. it is not something that you can do to another person.

My wife will humor me and play some games, Carcassonne is a good example, but she does it to humor me. She claims that she is havig a good time, and I believe her, but games are not something she will ever go out of her way to play. and thats ok. She is very good at respecting the fact that I like to play games and that is all I ask. (Sometimes it helps if i pretend I am interested in taking up golf when she starts to complain about the time investment)

Anyway, I am sure our wives are thinking something similar to the title at certian times. I can hear my wife saying, why can't you be as interested in painting the livingroom as you are in playing games!

Anyway best of luck.

I suggest the following games:
Balloon Cup, Ticket To Ride, Carcassonne (sp?) to start.. then move on to: Samurai, through the desert, maybe even PR.
(my wife will play san juan)
Then: Advanced Third Reich (kidding)

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Licata
United States
knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Operation Normal Husband's description of his wife playing games with him sounds like my situation, with one exception. My wife love's King's Court. Enough so, that she took it from my collection when she moved out of the country. At first I thought she left the country because of my game collection, then I realized she was actually serious about going to school to get her MD. Go figure! I swore I would never go to college to get a degree until some univeristy had a Ph.D. program in Board Gaming. (Seriously, my wife and I are still together. She is just off getting an education).

King's Court was the best $.50 used game I have ever bought. It has seen the most play of any game I own.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/4120

If anyone has a copy for sale or trade, let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Richert
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No list regarding wives is complete without Lost Cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Husband is Lucky
I see all the lists and journal entries about guys trying to turn thier wives/girlfriends into gamers and then remind my husband how lucky he is!

I was a gamer before I met my husband, in fact I have been a gamer longer than him. I play wargames, boardgames, CCG's, miniatures, RPG's, and the occasional computer game. I even enjoy a good day of paintball. My husband and I have a deal - I do not question his gaming purchases as long as he does not question mine... I also have 8 girlfriends like me cool

From my observations if a girl is not already a gamer or interested very quickly in your games when you meet her there is only a small chance that she ever will be. Get over it and move on. Most of the girls I know that are not gamers will only grudgingly play party games when everyone else is so that they do not look like a party pooper. They will play a game so long as there is a good chance that they can win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave R
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hang in there Fanaka66- help is on the way, but first you must understand the way of the woman...

First thing you need to understand is that for most women, the main purpose of getting together is to talk. Although this malady can ruin a perfectly good game, without it, they just won't play. What's even worse, is that they tend to gravitate towards games that involve sharing and opportunity to BOND with others... which is even more ludicrous... these people are your OPPONENTS!!! In any event, look for something that involves trading, negotiating, or some sort of diplomacy.

Next, look for a three-person game, and try to get one of your wife's friends to play. You're a man. Who wants to talk to you? In addition, this will give them an opportunity to talk while you devise your strategy and think about the game.

Thirdly...you know all those games that are criticized for "kingmaking"... where a loser can help to choose the winner? Well, as horrible as that makes a game, women love it... It gives them an opportunity to bond by doing favors for eachother as part of the inevitably girl-against-the-boys alliance in a feeble attempt to crush you. If your wife isn't a gamer, you'll probably need this extra competition to give you a bit of a challenge.

Fourth- Buy wine. Don't worry, you can drink beer, or orange soda, or whatever... but for women, a little Shiraz will mean the difference between your wife having a little fun or fulfilling an estrogen borne desire.

If you can meet all four criteria, your wife will LOVE IT.... EVEN IF SHE LOSES. Personally, we like Settlers of Cataan. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.