GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,211 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Variants

Subject: The Unknown - how we keep the mystery rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to preface this by saying we only play about once every two months. If you play more often this method may not work quite as well.

First off, we always place monsters with the art-side up. You are not allowed to flip a monster and read its stats until you fight it ("Crap, does a deep one have Magic resistance?!"). Generally, we know which monsters are stronger but there's still a lot of unknown and we typically avoid fighting unless well armed.

Second, when you draw an encounter another player will read you your encounter. If a choice is given on the card the player is not read the outcomes until the choice has been made (or the dice has been rolled if that is necessary).

We refuse to play the game normally as this is way more tense and fun. Even though we thought of this on our own, I have to believe others out there are doing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We do the same when reading cards but we put the monsters in little stands like the investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also place open gates face down. They are not revealed till an investigator is in the location with the gate.
goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bill_andel wrote:
You can also place open gates face down. They are not revealed till an investigator is in the location with the gate.
goo

actually we do that as well, forgot to include it in the OP. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group doesn't play like that, but that's merely personal preference. I think that's a fine set of house rules. Anything that increases the mystery is probably a good thing. I wish it were listed as an official variant in the main rules.

One reason we don't is that we put monsters and gates on plastic stands. We think this is very helpful. In several early games, we simply missed gates and monsters because they got lost in the visual clutter of the 2-D board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you handle monsters with special movement like the cthonian or hound of tindalous ?

Agree with the encounter reading though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:
How do you handle monsters with special movement like the cthonian or hound of tindalous ?

Agree with the encounter reading though.

Unfortunately someone has to look at the back of those counters (typically the player who is farthest away from the actual monster so it won't influence their decisions). Still, special movement monsters seem pretty infrequent in our games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
I need to preface this by saying we only play about once every two months. If you play more often this method may not work quite as well.

First off, we always place monsters with the art-side up. You are not allowed to flip a monster and read its stats until you fight it ("Crap, does a deep one have Magic resistance?!"). Generally, we know which monsters are stronger but there's still a lot of unknown and we typically avoid fighting unless well armed.

Wait, isn't that the standard rule? That's how we've always played.

[quote]Second, when you draw an encounter another player will read you your encounter. If a choice is given on the card the player is not read the outcomes until the choice has been made (or the dice has been rolled if that is necessary). [/q]

Sounds like it could make things very hard, but then again most decisions aren't that hard to guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:

You could always make a cheat sheet for the special movement monsters. There are not that many of them after all and most of them are easy enough to remember.

I will have to give this type of an encouter reading a try. It will also lessen downtime since it activates two players on each encounter instead of just one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely recommend trying this way if you haven't; it's loads of fun.

Yes, when you have a choice many times it is somewhat easy to guess. What really gets stick is when you have a skill check:

"Stumbling in the other world you come across a strange figure walking towards you. Roll luck."

"Crap, I'm not sure whether I should spend a clue token on the roll or not, uggh I wonder how bad/good the result is."

Or something like that.

It does make the game harder but we still have fun losing most of the time. It can be particularly nasty if you get a skill check where you die if you fail the result (I think there's one or two of those in Otherworlds) and you choose to not spend no clue tokens or any of your resources to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
Wait, isn't that the standard rule? That's how we've always played.

Not sure if anybody touched on this, but no, it's not the standard rule.

"Players may look at either
side of any monster marker at any time." (p. 4)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.