Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Cross-overs from social games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Louise Holden
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My sister and brother-in-law enjoy games when they visit, although in a fairly mild way. At home they play social games regularly with friends; Mr and Mrs, Cranium, Therapy, Trival Pursuits and so on.

Hints have been dropped that a game would be an acceptable Xmas present; we have bought them games before which get played occasionally.

I'd like to get them something that their friends would also enjoy. I took Barbarossa over once and played with their group; it went down fine but I think they were a bit put off initially by the dwarves and dragons.

A cross-over type game would have to involve plenty of talking and preferably lots of opportunities for joking. Ticket to Ride type games would be unlikely to go down well in this particular group; they'd need something far more interactive. It would be better if the theme was reasonably mainstream as well.

Possibilities that I thought of were
Auction game, e.g Modern Art
Deduction game, e.g. Mystery of the Abbey

I haven't played either of these and any comments or other possibilities would be welcome. All the players are quite capable of dealing with complex games, if they want to!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Webster
United States
Littleton
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the two...
I'd have to choose Mystery, since I haven't played Modern Art. It's light enough and enough like Clue to work for social gamers. Plus, no matter how you play it, most folks get the solution at about the same time, so everyone's involved. Plus, the questioning is highly interactive, so that works, too. It's the only "better game" that my wife will play, for example!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Cordewiner
Belgium
Gent (Zwijnaarde)
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Negotiation games...
I do like Mystery of the Abbey. If they played Clue, this is a good 'next' step.

I haven't played Modern Art, but you might consider Kuhhandel which has a nice auction and bluffing element.

If you look for interaction, why not try a negotiation game like Bohnanza? But I'm not sure planting beans is mainstream enough Or if you want something heavier, Traders of Genoa (although that might be a bit too heavy)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote would be Bohnanza. It is highly interactive, the artwork is light and fun, and it's a lot of fun to play.

Kuhhandel (You're Bluffing) is also a good suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cluzzle might be a good alternative to Barbarossa. Apparently it's a kind of stripped-down Barbarossa, which might work. Bang! is pretty interactive, too, and it's a team effort as well. I could see Bohnanza working, but I could see it failing, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
hmmm
Mystery of the Abbey, $30-$40
This is good. It is very interactive, a little difficult (at least at first), and alot of fun. A game of MotA is a long, drawn out involved thing. When we play it, it is usually the only game we play that night. You absolutely cannot beat the quality of bits and board. I suggest having them laminate a few suspect sheets and using dry-erase markers.

Modern Art, $17-$20
This is an amazing game. I don't think they will have a problem understanding it and enjoying it. The marginal bits keep this game from having the "wow" factor that Abbey would have, but in the long run Modern Art might be a stronger game. Everyone I have played with loves it, but it might be a little dry for party gamers.

Bohnanza, $10-$15
Though, I've only played Bohnanza once, I feel like this will fit the bill maybe even better than the other two games. It is very interactive, light, and fun. It also works as a good introduction to german games because some of the play is common to other german games (you are involved on others' turns, resource management, trading, etc.).

All in all, you cannot go wrong with any of these three games. They are all good in their own way. Pick by how much you want to spend. If you want to spend around $30 then get Abbey or both the other games. Bohnanza and Modern Art would complement each other well--light/fun and mind-blowing/strategy respectively.

It's funny, these 3 games plus Balloon Cup made up my last game order.

-goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
And another thing
If they don't have Settlers of Catan yet, though, I would go with that.

-goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty B
United States
Upstate
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
These seemed to go over well.
We bought another couple that we've played games with on and off for about a few years a basket of games as a wedding gift. They are frequent travellers, so we put together a travel themed package, including: Africa, Paris Paris, Carcassonne, Mexica, TransAmerica, Princes of Florence and Canal Grande. They claim to have liked them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Give 'em what they want!
I understand the urge to convert others away from party games but it can be a long uphill battle. If Ticket to Ride is not likely to go down well, then Modern Art and Mystery of the Abbey probably won't play very well either. Bang! is a fine idea in theory but it has issues and is vexing for anyone with a short attention span.

So I say just give them what they want. Consider some really good party games that they don't have yet. My immediate suggestions are Time's Up!, Cluzzl, and Wise & Otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Holden
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks
I'm grateful for everybody's comments.

To respond re individual games; I'm hoping to give them something I don't already own, as that way I feel less let down if they don't like it - odd I know but I tend to feel that way about game gifts, so that rules out Bohnanza. I think they are expecting something other than a social game from us given our gaming tendencies so while I can see the logic of buying something that they are definitely likely to play, I am trying to find something more within my "mainstream" of games. No intention of "converting" them; they enjoy the social games hugely and I see no reason to try to interfere.

I shall go for Mystery of the Abbey, about which your various comments were most useful. Thanks

Louise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.