GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,756 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Runebound (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Question about expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Bingham
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, i pretty much am set to buy some expansions for Runebound. I know i know this has been asked to death already. I apologize already for not searching through the forums properly enough to make an informed decision yet.

However, if you're still reading and actually would help me out, then here's my question:

I already am set to buy 3 big box expansions. Sands, Frozen and Islands will be mine. However, i just can't really figure out which small box expanions to buy. There's literally tons of them and im not sure which ones would be worth getting. My plays will be mostly solo or 2 players, but solo most of the time.

Do the character decks really improve the game at all for example? I have a hard time understanding their propose short of what the descriptions say. And which other small box expansions are nifty for solo players?

Thanks in advance for your time and efford you put into this! I appreciate it.

Dennis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The character decks slow the game down and add PvP elements. They are useless for solo play, as far as I can tell.

For the small box expansions, anything with market and adventure cards is interesting to a solo player (adds variety); the various alternate adventures are sometimes co-op, sometimes PvP, so they may not all be suited for solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a nice, long look at this Runebound Shopping Guide.

It'll tell you all you need to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milvus
Ireland
Wicklow Town
Co. Wicklow
flag msg tools
I'm bitter, I'm twisted!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all the small expansions except the character decks, the idea of them didnt really appeal to me. I generally add a new expansion every few sessions, keeps things new! The market stack is now huge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought all the character decks. They now sit in a drawer where they will remain. I highly suggest avoiding them, the game slow down did not bother us as much as the horrible imbalance of the talent cards and I mean HORRIBLE (we actually wondered if they had been playtested). The decks are not too bad but tend to just involve hording a hand of cards until late game then trying to play everything at once for a single fight.

I have all the item and adventure decks though and they all seem fine. I don't remember which one it is but there is one with these banner items and if you are going to avoid one that would be the one to skip. It's not too bad but the banners kind of suck and for some reason they put 2 of each in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'll give you my opinion of the best small expansions, all of which I own except the character decks.

Walkers of the Wild - Some very cool and interesting allies here.
Champions of Kellos - More cool allies with interesting abilities and some nice weapons to boot.
Traps and Terrors - Some really lethal traps to add variety to the game.
Rituals and Runes - Rituals are abilities that need to be "charged up" by excess movement dice before you can use them. Some are very powerful! Also adds in some new runes with abilities that can be useful to any character, not just the mage types.

I can't speak for the character decks as I don't have them, but I hear they really slow the game down, and this game is quite long enough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which Expansion is Best? [POLLS]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.