GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,607 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Geek Chic Tables. I'm very interested but... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: furniture [+] [View All]
Ray Swan
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been at several conventions where Geek Chic has been advertising their tables.

http://www.geekchichq.com/

I am highly interested in a high end gaming table. Tempted to possibly purchase one.

I'm concerned however about the "heirloom quality" they speak of, if I'm going to plunk down several thousand dollars for a table it need to last and be refined.

These guys look awesome but they are not exactly what I want. (poker table)

http://www.stinegametables.com

Stine poker tables out of 5
Geek Chick tables ????? out of 5

Any geeks out there take the plunge and buy one (A Geek Chic Table)? If you have are you happy about your purchase? If you have one please share likes and dislikes, comments and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We ordered one at PAX. Got all sorts of great discounts for ordering at the 'con and paying the full price. The production queue means we won't see it until November, but if you manage to hold out and nobody else posts between now and then . . . hit me up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
this is likely a rhetorical question, but after seeing the price-tag on those Geek Chic tables...

Do you know how many actual games $8,000 can buy?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
(SO SORRY TO DISTRACT, HERE!) Fightcitymayor, I do believe you have the most pleasurable-to-behold avatars within a hundred billion stars!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Johnson
United States
South Range
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you thought of advertising on Craigslist for carpenter/furniture makers who could make you one?
I have found literally everybody on craigslist from Auto repair to Electricians to Siding or Furnace installers, all for maybe 1/3 of what i would pay someone in the yellow pages.
Also, if you found the right craftsman, you could have him make it exactly how you wanted, and even choose the wood, etc.
I always post a job in the Skilled Trades category, rather than wade through the postings in Services, and I get lots of replies.
Just a thought...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
We ordered one at PAX. Got all sorts of great discounts for ordering at the 'con and paying the full price. The production queue means we won't see it until November, but if you manage to hold out and nobody else posts between now and then . . . hit me up.

Wow I wish I had ordered it last year because the cue was only a few months back then. Yikes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyspys wrote:
ohbalto wrote:

Wow I wish I had ordered it last year because the cue was only a few months back then. Yikes.

Yeah, it's a little crazy but, okay: we have a room in our house and we were looking for a very specific type of table for one corner of the room. Basically, we wanted a square cafe-height table we could game on, but also one we could use to work on a laptop or even use with non-gaming company.

Something that's not obvious from Geek Chic's website is that the tables are MUCH more customizable than they seem. We ordered (I believe) a 4' x 4' table, and that would be good enough. But we also got inserts for the top. So, we can play in the "layer-cake" area with the inserts removed, or we can put down a wooden insert to just have a table-table, or a fabric cover and use the table for, say, poker or other card games.

It did not cost $8,000.00. Not even close to that.

For us, it was easy. Whatever table we purchased was going to be pricey. This way, we've got something made to our specific needs, designed in the colors we (well, my wife) wanted and the added flexibility of having a "gaming" table.

If one was the least bit curious about learning more, I'd make a point to find a Con or show they're attending / displaying at and just go ask some questions. Everyone we spoke to was very helpful and I'm confident the table is going to be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Rompcat wrote:
(SO SORRY TO DISTRACT, HERE!) Fightcitymayor, I do believe you have the most pleasurable-to-behold avatars within a hundred billion stars!

aww... you are too kind!

and i am relieved no one is paying $8,000 for a gaming table.
(not that they don't look like nice tables or anything, just saying.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
this is likely a rhetorical question, but after seeing the price-tag on those Geek Chic tables...

Do you know how many actual games $8,000 can buy?!?

I know. The high end gaming tables cost more than my car cost when I bought it new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr ?
United States
Midwest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got one delivered a few months back. It is bad-ass. I was in the 3000 dollar range. I will say this. The process is slow, and communication is off and on. They are apparently experiencing growing pains. However, the product is incredible. I need to post some shots. plexiglass 6 X 4 feet covers a lot of game. I am looking forward to having Axis and Allies Global under it like a war room!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Warpiglet wrote:
I got one delivered a few months back. It is bad-ass. I was in the 3000 dollar range.

i'm sorry, i just had a stroke.

(not that the war room idea isn't cool or anything. you could even recreate the scene from Downfall.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DM Z
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
I guess finding out that our Spartan is a touch over $4k delivered (with very few accessories) would kill you, then.

We had to pass on the discounts, unfortunately: we couldn't commit to buying one at PAX East because we didn't have proper measurements of the room it would go in, and there's no way I'm fronting a full four grand to a small business that's only been in operation for a few years.

Build/delivery time and communications, as others have noted, are not really their strong spots. But, after seeing the tables at PAX East and having read reviews by satisfied owners, I really do believe they'll stand the test of time. Ask me again when mine pops up in November-ish.

Something to note is that their website is out of date, and doesn't mention the Spartan (bar-height table with storage underneath) or the Hoplite (coffee table). I suspect the Hoplite might be more appealing to folks on here.

Interesting fact: they can apparently only build nine Sultans a year with their current resources. Also noteworthy: that queue is full for the year (or was; they had one cancellation according to a recent email). There is indeed a market for super-high-end gaming tables, however small. That's not shocking to me - if you're a professional making $200k+ a year, $13k on a table is serious money, but it's not really that huge a deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yep. i'm dead.

zombie

Though I guess that's an attractive position for any artisan: Having a segment of people willing to pay top dollar for your crafted output, and having them not mind being on a waiting list for months to get it. Many artists would ostensibly kill for that gig. I'm unsure how profitable it is for a business to sell such a limited amount of pieces in an entire calendar year (unless you're cranking out custom autos,) but I'll presume they know their own business model better than I.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike D
msg tools
Great product, but I waited for nearly ONE YEAR for mine to be delivered. Yes, that's right--one year. Customer service friendly, but ineffective. They simply can't deliver the volume of goods that they've promised (and taken deposits for!) Even the President of the company, Robert Gifford, was unable to meet a delivery date (by two months). That was the pattern throughout the transaction: over promise, under deliver.

Great product, but ask for interest on your deposit and sit back to wait for a very, very long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DM Z
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
So, did yours actually come? I'm not really worried about the .5% interest on my deposit so much.

I feel your pain... my "start build" date is _supposedly_ within the next 30 days, but I'll believe it when I see it. Right now, I'd just be tickled pink if they could get it to me in time for New Year's Day. Alas, my hope for it to be around for a Chanukah party is mostly dashed (unless they build and deliver much faster than I'm expecting).

I was told that wait times were almost down to six months. The tip-off should be when the new website finally goes online. I'm not sure that they're overpromising at this point; they were pretty clear to me that you're in for the long haul when you order a table from them.

Also, for those who don't feel like waiting as long, they're apparently selling some orphan orders, factory seconds, and show pieces for about 20% off. Most of them are 4x6 size and Emissaries or Spartans. The Emissaries seem to be in the $2.5k-$4k range, but they do seem to have some $1.5k-$2.1k Spartans (albeit these don't seem to come with any accessories, so mentally tack on a lot more money). Refinishing plus delivery is still supposedly going to be 6-12 weeks, although you'd hope the latter end of that would be for the Sultans they're getting rid of...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DM Z
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Update: went into milling last week.

To give folks an idea of the timeline: paid on 4/17, went into production 10/8, and unless it actually takes 12 weeks to build (unlikely), should be here by the end of the year. That's about 8 months or so of lead time, assuming they keep to the schedule (and see a couple posts up for why that's not a given).

Maybe I'll be playing some 40k on it by New Year's... we'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Nguyen
United States
Wallingford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erwos wrote:

To give folks an idea of the timeline: paid on 4/17, went into production 10/8, and unless it actually takes 12 weeks to build (unlikely), should be here by the end of the year. That's about 8 months or so of lead time, assuming they keep to the schedule (and see a couple posts up for why that's not a given).

so, any further updates? I plan on buying a house in a year and would love to have one of these tables, maybe I should put my order and deposit in now!

For those who have one already, is any self assembly required? Like screw on the legs, etc. Or does it come fully assembled, straight from delivery?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gryphter wrote:
erwos wrote:

so, any further updates? I plan on buying a house in a year and would love to have one of these tables, maybe I should put my order and deposit in now!

For those who have one already, is any self assembly required? Like screw on the legs, etc. Or does it come fully assembled, straight from delivery?

Comes fully delivered (delivery cost depends on what you order, where you live, etc) but my delivery cost was around $425. They said they are going to bring the table in and put it together (legs) so you don't have to do assemble anything. My table should be delivered this Sunday 03/27/2011. I ordered the Vanguard during the Origins convention 2010, fully paid in October. I assume the more complicated tables take longer (there are a ton of new tables/coffee tables available that are not listed on their website). Don't ask me why they don't update their website...they told me several reasons but none of them made much sense other than they have been swamped with orders.
If you are looking for a quicker delivery, this year that had sales on used demo tables, and tables that were orphaned (not payed for I assume). Usually, those tables sell quickly but if you get on their email list maybe you can snag one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DM Z
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
I somehow forgot about this thread; apologies for that.

Yes, our Spartan table came. Yes, it is mind-blowing.

Some comments:
1. Build quality is terrific. Worth every penny!
2. Miniatures games on the lowered playing surface are a little trickier than usual due to being unable to determine true line of sight. A laser pointer or patience is recommended. (You could also play on top of the table.)
3. Children may find it rather difficult to deal with the size of a 6x4 table at the height of a Spartan. Adults should not have a problem.
4. Two people can easily lift it and move it around, so don't get too freaked out about positioning. I would not count on getting it through the door without help from Geek Chic, though: pick the room you put it in carefully, and don't plan on ever moving.
5. Plan on buying some drink holders and desks. You can balance books and boxes on the corners without a problem, but that's about it.
6. There is a cavern of storage space beneath this thing, even with the setbacks. It's damned impressive.
7. GET THE SETBACKS ON THE SPARTAN!!!!!! If I could, I would have taken them on all four sides.

Even though I've got criticisms, believe me when I say that there is no finer table for gaming than this one. (Well, maybe the Sultan...)

So far, I've only had a chance to do some miniature and card games using it. We had our first child shortly after delivery of the table, so we've been rather busy with life in general. Now that things are settling down and he's sleeping through the night, I think our social life may improve soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my 4x6 Vanguard a couple of weeks ago. It is simply awesome and I have really enjoyed playing games on it; from boardgames to miniature wargames.

I do agree true line of site is a little harder but no more dice falling on the floor, or figs falling off the table. I will buy a lazer pen and solve the line of site problems.

The table is very well made and I cannot say enough good things about it.
Here are some of their tables 1)THE Emissary; 2) The Vanguard; 3)The Vizier 4)The Hoplite; 5) The Scout; 6) The Spartan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some pictures they sent me regarding their shop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
https://www.twitch.tv/gamerhudson
badge
https://www.instagram.com/gamer.hudson/
mbmbmbmbmb
This has to be one of the lamest things I saw at GenCon last year.

Plywood....grass mat......done, save the money for miniatures...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleZone wrote:
This has to be one of the lamest things I saw at GenCon last year.

Plywood....grass mat......done, save the money for miniatures...

You apparently didn't see (smell) the gamer funk at every corner.

Seriously, you are correct you can make a game table for around 100 bucks and there are instructions on sites like Dakkadakka (if you are able to borrow the tools and have a truck to haul the wood). However, you miss the point. These are aesthetically pleasing tables that make spouses (husband or wife) happy and can replace a dinning room table, are well made and about the same price as a decent dinning table. Plus, if you don't have the space to have a ratty looking table in your house (because you don't have a basement, garage or spare bedroom) this is a solution. Of course you could be single and live in a one room apartment where your home made table is a viable solution but I didn't choose that path.

Of course if you wish to argue the point to levels of absurdity, you could argue that one should never buy a car because walking (hitching rides) are free, that you don't need a computer because pencils and stamps are cheaper than email, and Ramen noodles and water are the only things you need to eat. Lastly, why buy minis when you can use pieces of paper for figs.

These are not for everyone, but this was a viable solution for my situation and now I have a 4x6 in my kitchen where I can play Warhammer, Warmachine, Black Powder, FOG, or FOW; RPGs and boardgames. After that I can throw the leaves on, saving the game in progress, eat dinner, and a few hours later take the leaves off and start playing again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played on one of these tables at BGG Con 2011 for about six hours (they were letting players actually use the tables to see how they functioned), and I found them to be very high-quality furniture - in every way equal to or superior than something similar-looking (style-wise) you could buy at a retail custom furniture store. But they come with the added benefits that they were designed for gamers by gamers, with folding doors, recessed playing surfaces, etc. These are definitely high-quality items.

I'm not so sure that they are "heirloom quality" because I don't know what that means - but they appear as if they'd last a good long while if care for properly - all solid wood, no particle board or pressed board, that I saw. No squeaks, sags, gaps, or unsanded surfaces. Evenly stained and near-perfect joints where moving parts rested against each other.

Also note that the furniture is custom made and their prices seem right in line with good furniture. My baby-momma and I just paid $600 for a chair for the baby's nursery - and it was on sale for about 40% off! I would buy one of these tables if I had the extra cash laying around, but I don't. Then again, I take that back, I'd probably pay down my debts rather than spend the money.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mb
I too played on them during BGG Con 2010 and it was nice. My friend Jonathan got one. It took a year to get it, but it's very nice indeed and it's a pleasure to play on every time I'm gaming over there.

If I had a dedicated gaming space, I would seriously consider getting one. $3-4K for a custom made solid wood dining table is not out of line - the fact it's also a gaming table by and for gaming geeks is even better.

However, for our living space, the current table I have (a beautiful solid maple table I got for a stupid cheap price at an auction) is perfect for our needs. It's 42x42" and has three leaves that are 10" each, making the table reconfigurable depending on which game we want to play or how many guests are coming to dinner.

That's the one downside I see to a custom gaming table that has to double as a dining table - its size is its size and you can't make the surface larger if you have more dinner guests coming....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.