GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,505 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Monopoly Deal Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Yet another Deal Breaker Change rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played for the first time the other day (5 2p games) and my friend and I both struggled with the Deal Breaker card (even though he won each game he still didn't like it). For a 3p+ game it seems that the Deal Breaker, if not used exclusively for the win, can be countered since king making is something allowed by this game, in other words, the player who is winning can be targeted more than once before their next turn. In a 2p game you don't really have the time to respond to the Deal Breaker card before the other player can finish the game.

Both of us felt that a single card that can complete 1/3 of your winning conditions in one action is too powerful for a 2p game. I read on here the idea of the Deal Breaker card taking a property from a completed set and that seems like a good variant. I had a different idea.

Our thought was that you could "pay off" a deal breaker card. Since it is a 5m value card (I think) we said you pay double that plus maybe 1m per property that is being "stolen." So essentially it can be mitigated by really depleting your bank, leaving you vulnerable to rent cards and possibly even making you give them properties albeit not ones that will give them sets and maybe ones you don't "need."

Any thoughts on this kind of change? I liked the rest of the game, it seemed a pretty good 2p filler but this one card has caused some consternation for us.

Please no "its fine just play different/better" comments, I've seen them all already. We aren't interested in the Deal Breaker as it exists, just trying to find the best house rule to tailor the game to our likings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of altering this perceived 'too powerful' card, consider this minor and unobtrusive change instead:

In two player games you need four complete sets.

_____

Changes such as you suggest change the Deal Breaker from a property grab to a money grab, which mean the person with the larger bank will always be in a better position. Introducing this will unbalance the game more than the rules as written and is unnecessary. There is already a counter to the Deal Breaker in the form of the Just Say No cards. Further, careful play, such as not completing your sets until later in the game, can mitigate the Deal Breaker.

What most people who try to blunt this card don't realize is that it is supposed to be a large threat and is intended to bring about the game end at the point that the game would otherwise wear out its welcome.

The first time you get bit with the Deal Breaker, sure, it feels harsh. But then you know about it, you learn and you adjust your play to suit.

If you've already read such arguments, then they bear repeating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. Ng
Singapore
flag msg tools
Too complex, I think. I've got 3 alternative suggestions for fixes - pick whichever you like:

1. When you play a Deal Breaker, it does not take effect until the start of your next turn. If the targeted set is no longer a complete set at that time, the Deal Breaker is cancelled. This renders it worthless against sets with property wild cards (which it already is, to a certain degree), and also allows a third player to stop the deal by playing a card to force the targeted player to pay him. Or the opponent could simply win first!

2. When you play a Deal Breaker, you must discard a 2-colored rent card that matches the targeted set. This forces players to play sub-optimally by hoarding "useless" rent cards if they want to use it. It might make the DB too hard to play though.

3. When you play a Deal Breaker, you must announce it before you draw. If it succeeds, you cannot do anything else (draw cards, play any other cards or rearrange your property collection) that turn. This preserves the "game ending move" ability of the Deal Breaker while making it less ideal for mid-game gains. In particular, if a player ends his turn with 2 full sets, that becomes a danger signal which other players can follow up on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.