GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,384 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Suggestions

Subject: Thumbs For Contests rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald Dimitroff
United States
Beltsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Right now I am feeling very: turbed, pirited, heveled, combobulated, and not tinguished, so don't you dare "dis" me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am the creator the list Your Favorite Color - Win Geek Gold, so I felt compelled to post this here.

I believe that my list is now the 12th most popular list, all time, in the history of BGG. I had no idea that it would be that popular nor be controversial. I stumbled into this all be accident.

When I created that list, it was my intention to:
1) Have fun
2) Be generous to others on BGG. I have greatly benefited from BGG and I wanted others to benefit.
3) Find out information to simple questions that I have had in discussions with others. In particular, "what color do players choose when playing a game" and "what is the best game family"

There currently is no good mechanism in BGG for giving away geekgold randomly to a large group of users. I am in discussion with administrators of BGG to solve this problem. Below is my proposal.

How about a separate category for "contests"?
The tabs could then be:
hot
recent
active
contest

Add a mini-icon to enter a contest, so now there would be:
thumbsup for the measure of quality content
to give geek gold
5 to enter a contest (or some other appropriate icon*)
x as an objection

The 5 icon provides the list creator with a list of geeks who enter the contest, just as the thumbsup does. Thumbing the list can then been done separately and independently of contest entry.

*Or maybe an animated icon - an opened door which changes to a closed door once you have entered the contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That's not what he is saying at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dimitroff
United States
Beltsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Right now I am feeling very: turbed, pirited, heveled, combobulated, and not tinguished, so don't you dare "dis" me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You posted a thread asking for thumbs and then feel used because the thread got so many thumbs?

No. I am not saying that at all.
I am very happy with my list and I am glad that it got thumbs.
However, there seems to be a number of other geek users that are unhappy with my list.

So, I am proposing a fundamental change to BGG.
I hope that this change will make everyone happy.

What I am proposing here is a method so that geek users can use the thumb icon "strictly for content" and the dice icon strictly "to enter a contest".

This way, "thumbing for content" and "entering a contest" are independent of each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Make no mistake. I could not possibly care less what your thumb count is. Some users do care.

IMO the ability to see per-user thumb totals subverts the use of thumbs as a guide to good posts, and reflects a site design error; the totals would be better hidden. It could still be possible to see past contributions ranked by thumb count, but the grand total doesn't convey anything useful because there are too many ways to accumulate thumbs. It's cute that a gaming site evolved a score-keeping metagame from the reporting of totals, but not actually constructive - or surprising.

A geekgold microeconomy via tips and gifts is a quite interesting idea which isn't helped by a parallel thumb economy. Thumb totals on media entities are a potentially useful way to make good content contributions stand out, but not as an indicator for an entire user.

On a side note, removing thumb-downs is an interesting innovation in rating systems, and one that seems to have worked quite well apart from this issue.

Once you remove per-user totals from consideration, lists like the colour-favourite one are an interesting polling method and the geekgold lottery a time-honoured way to solicit participation (it's a psych study after all). You can see the raw data in the thumbs for each colour entry, and it's a clever way to use the site. Favourite colours can affect decision making; I like the suggestion in this review that colour preference might influence positional judgement in a game with a pie rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.