Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Here comes The Chrome rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Pletz
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Well, it seems like my hope to go to Euro-Quest has been dashed. Just not enough money. It stings but I just have to accept it.

I just got Modern Art and was blown away. This game is the end of auction games for me. Which considering how common auctions are for German games, means a significant reduction of that sort of games for me. It makes my previous fav of the genre, Industria, seem sort of weak.

So now with that genre seeming closed, I am looking towards set collection and trade as ther next genre to explore. With Oltremare and the like out there, it seems like the way to go. At this point, I wonder if I will eventually come to a point where they were be no new games. With Modern Art, I hit my 100th game and feel a need to get games with different mechanics and goals.

Now there is the majority control and betting out there. I mean I don't have El Grande or Colossal Arena. Not to mention, the co-operative game or the racing game.

One of the things that German games made me realize is that I will never be a heavy wargamer. I like Wallenstein and Battle Cry but thats about as deep as I want to go. Not to mention simple wargames like Risk and A&A which feel like the longest games of craps ever.

Intriguingly, as a vet of both rpg and ccg, I can see a certain trend in boardgames. Namely the choice of SF and Fantasy as theme. Which is none too bad for me since the common complaint with German games is that the theme is often rather thin. However I also see this move towards heavier(read as longer)games as problematic. (For some reason, there is this bind where genre players want more chrome to reflect realism. I don't know why but it just is. ) I am not so much concerned with this no luck all strategy thing as I am with the idea of follow through. If we are playing a two hour game, is there a reason why? The last thing I want is doing the same thing for two plus hours. Then there is also the problem of futilty. I mean if a game is going to run for a long time, I don't want to play something that after an hour, I know I am going to lose. Which considering the idea that long games are generally hoped to be luck free is a problem.

I could go on like this but you get the idea. I could go on like this but the point is I feel like the ideal German game is defined by the simple set-up, easy rules and elegant depth. Not to deny anyone there full rich theme,however, I feel like my choices are getting slimmer. Especially since I've seen the ideal principles of German games.

And this all comes from Modern Art. Damn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mb
Ain't this a great hobby?!meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
Why is 2 hours for a game such a long time? You used to be an RPGer and we regularly play GURPS for 4-6 hours at a time.

To tell you the truth, I do not understand the need for many to downgrade games because of their long playing times. There have been nights when playing Adv Civ that I suddenly look up and realise that 4 hours have gone by, and I never even noticed. I am not saying that I don't play quick games (Carcassone, Lost Cities, Zombies) but the longer games have some good meaty qualities that you can just bite into, intellectually and emotionally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Pletz
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Time is Tight
I wasn't saying two hours is too long. I was talking about time invested vs reward. Don't get me wrong. I like some long games. It's just that our group has 3 hours and 45 minutes a week to game. So if I bring Wallenstein or Java, the time for other shorter but similarly deserving games we can play is limited.

One of the reasons we no longer play RPGs is we don't have the time to do them right. Not just table time but preparation time. To me, boardgames are more concise. I get the mental stimulation and the interpersonal interaction in a more discrete unit. There are other reasons we don't roleplay anymore but that's another topic entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.