GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,656 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Paths of Glory» Forums » General

Subject: similar game recommendations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cristian Mihaescu
Romania
Cluj-Napoca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

Can you recommend me, please, a similar game but a little lighter and with less playing time?

Thank you very much,
cristian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you intend with similar and how much lighter and how much less time?

If you intend a Card Driven Game, there is not one like it so I'd suggest: Twilight Struggle or Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage or even Washington's War.

If not I'd go for A Victory Lost: Crisis in Ukraine 1942-1943 (maybe a little long, but shorter than PoG) or World at War: Eisenbach Gap.

That's all that comes to mind now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of similarly designed games, but several easier/lighter games include:

Twilight Struggle
1960: The Making of the President
Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage (probably not too much lighter)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean similar in terms of content (i.e. the period of the game) or game mechanics? It's not out yet, but if you're into pre-ordering games you can do so at MMP's website: What Price Glory? is about the First World War, isn't a CDG as such, but does use cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristian Mihaescu
Romania
Cluj-Napoca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your suggestions!

I'm looking for a campaign wargame (not the tactical squad type) similar to Paths of Glory (with or without cards) but, if it's possible, with same style of the chits (and same style of the map). The period of time is not important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You're probably looking for Shifting Sands AFAIK, it's based on the game basic system as PoG, but it's smaller and quicker. I don't know weather it's lighter though.

You might also be interested in World War II: Barbarossa to Berlin, again, it's based on the same system as PoG. It's shorter and lighter, but not by much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Washington's War from GMT is excellent. It plays fast and is a lot of fun. The game I played took only two and a half hours, and experienced players can play that game in less time than that. The component quality is high too.

Compass Games is due to print No Peace Without Spain! this coming fall, so it's possible to pre-order that one with a discount. That game covers the War of Spanish Succession from 1701 to 1714, a big multi-national multi-year conflict. I've been reading the After Action Reports of the playtest games on Consimworld Forums (under boardgames, individual games, gunpowder, pre-Napoleonic). Seems like this game will play fast and produce a lot of excitement.

I recommend GMT's Sword of Rome, although that is really best with 4 or 5 players. It's multi-national (eight different player or non-player controlled countries) and covers a little more than a century of conflict. I played 3 games, all with 4 players, and our games lasted from four to six and a half hours per game. There is a turn 6 ending option and players can win an early victory on turns 1 through 3, or really on any turn after that, so games don't have to go the full distance. It's due for a reprint this fall, and you can pre-order with a discount.

I've heard that GMT's Here I Stand! is fantastic. It's playable with 2 players using a special 2 player card deck, though it's supposed to be best with 6 players, and good with 3 players. But it probably takes as much time to play as PoG, if not more. I really want to try that one. It's also due for a reprint this fall, so you can pre-order with a discount.

I would suggest The Napoleonic Wars as a game of similar strategic scale and multi-national multi-year conflict. I haven't played that one either, but I've read that it's a pretty good two player game, although it can be played with multiple players. It's supposed to have a playing time of 6 hours, which is a bit shorter than the time PoG is supposed to take. But I would imagine the 2 player version would cut out a lot of time doing diplomacy or waiting for other players to move.

I think there's a couple of games out called Maria and Frederick, about the War of Austrian Succession and the Seven Years War respectively. Those are both muli-national multi-year conflicts. I've heard the system is good, but I don't know if those games take less time than PoG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kingbird X
United States
nyc
New York
flag msg tools
Talking about similarity, Pursuit of glory is without doubt. It may not be lighter, however, the suggested playing time is less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
kingbird123 wrote:
Talking about similarity, Pursuit of glory is without doubt. It may not be lighter, however, the suggested playing time is less.

Nah, Pursuit of Glory is both heavier and a lot longer. There are less turns in the game, but each turn is a lot slower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Amnese wrote:
kingbird123 wrote:

Nah, Pursuit of Glory is both heavier and a lot longer. There are less turns in the game, but each turn is a lot slower.

Totally agree on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.