GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,939 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

Balloon Cup» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Balloon Cup - The LDL Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim
Australia
Kilsyth
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Balloon Cup

I like

- the mix of what I have in my hand,
what I think my opponent has in their hand,
who has collected which colour cubes and hence which trophy they are going to win,
which colour cubes do they currently look like winning,
oh my god, where am I going to play my next card...
I don’t find it has a lot of brain burn because of choice, more a great tension.
Do I play my card on my side of the table or on my opponents side?
For that reason alone I will keep playing Balloon Cup.

- it feels close and tight, and rarely are there blow outs where one person gets thrashed

- plays relatively quickly, under 30 minutes

- the theme appeals to a large cross section and it is gateway / spouse / parent friendly game

- compact and easy to pack for travel, and the cards are a decent size to hold

- I still don’t feel like I have worked this game out and know the optimum play style or strategy

I don’t like

There is not a lot for me, not to like about this game, so why have I not rated it a 10?

- one play occasionally is enough, it is not something I want to play multiple times a night or a week

- the theme is ok but it feels pasted on and non-gamer friendly

Type of game group

- I purchased this as a game to try to get my wife interested in gaming with me. It failed, not because this is a bad game but because my wife is not interested in gaming. So when my gamer friends come over we don’t play Balloon Cup, but I will keep it because it is a good game that is worth holding onto. I play it with my gaming mother occasionally and also with some semi-gamer friends.

- It has been said before but I will say it again, it is a spouse friendly game. Great 2 player game.

Rating: 7/10
My Bias:
Total Plays – 12 (not recorded approx 20 more)
First played 2007-??-??
Last played 2010-01-23
Review date 2010-05-21

What is an LDL review?
The LDL review geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.