GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,570 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Thematic Games» Forums » General

Subject: Cosmic encounter doesn't feel very thematic... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Monopauly
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is cosmic Encounter in this subdomain? Maybe I'm not understanding the subdomain properly, but I find the theme no less pasted on than in some euros. I really like the game, but it seems pretty abstract to me.

What would be a defining characteristic? Or is there a definition somewhere I missed?

Edit: It seems the amerithrash subdomain was renamed, and that both amerithrash and thematic are the exact same group of games. So that explains it I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Llarbal wrote:
It seems the amerithrash subdomain was renamed, and that both amerithrash and thematic are the exact same group of games. So that explains it I guess.

Indeed. I guess it'll take some time for the votes to adapt, when people get around to re-do theirs (which probably won't happen before they are confident that the subdomain names will stay as they are, naturally).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That because cosmic Encounter is NOT AMERITRASH.

There is no element of the game that defines it as Ameritrash:
- No dice. Certainly not buckets of them.
- Compromise Cards. COMPROMISE!
- The combat system is completely abstract.
- Breaking rules in a specific way that others have to follow? Nothing like that in the Top 2 Eurogames (and 100's more outside the Top 2.)
- Simple Rules
- Player interaction? I can't even choose who I am going to fight! (unless I am the Will)

Cosmic Encounter is a classic no doubt about it proto-Euro!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:

There is no element of the game that defines it as Ameritrash:
- No dice. Certainly not buckets of them.
- Compromise Cards. COMPROMISE!
- The combat system is completely abstract.
- Breaking rules in a specific way that others have to follow? Nothing like that in the Top 2 Eurogames (and 100's more outside the Top 2.)
- Simple Rules
- Player interaction? I can't even choose who I am going to fight! (unless I am the Will)

Well, I wouldn't consider Cosmic an "abstract game" either. It is colored by theme to some degree, less than say Dune, but it is there. So, if one considers Euros sitting right between theme drive and abstract (play mechanics) driven, then Cosmic would likely be a proto-Euro as you stated. I would place Cosmic more in the themed than abstract camp, because it does involve alien races at war, and space conquest. Yes, play is abstracted out, but it does have that as the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how you would re-theme Cosmic Encounter and have it still make sense. So I'd say the theme is pretty integral to the design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at Race for the Galaxy, especially in its full, expansion rich glory. There you have alien races at war (although this aspect is a subplot rather than the main theme), and yet everyone can tell Race for the Galaxy is a eurogame.

Perhaps its partly to do with ancestry- Race for the Galaxy uses very similar mechanisms to San Juan, which in turn has a similar theme to Puerto Rico, a classic eurogame. Cosmic Encounter came out well before Settlers and the like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
I'm not sure how you would re-theme Cosmic Encounter and have it still make sense. So I'd say the theme is pretty integral to the design.

The theme barely makes sense as it is now. You could easily do a fantasy swap, keeping everything the same except you have armies of different races conquering kingdoms. You could do something crazy like Ursuppe and have it be about different colonies of bacteria fighting for ecosystems, and you each have unique rule-breaking genes. There is nothing in the game that is intrinsically about interplanetary colonization and combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
CE fundamentally works in the theme. Each player takes an alien race and plays with abilities based on that. The powers have a very fundamental effect on game play. What more do you want for theme?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monopauly
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just add one thing: I haven't followed the AT subdomain renaming very closely, so when I looked at the games in the thematic subdomain this morning out of curiosity, CE seemed the odd one out. In my idea it didn't belong in a category named thematic because it seems highly abstract (though not exactly an abstract game).

Why when trying to name a subdivision of games anything but Amerithrash do we hold on to the category itself? It only means something to BoardGameGeeks. Why not shuffle everything and create new subdomains that have nothing to do with the terms AT/Eurogame?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Llarbal wrote:
I'll just add one thing: I haven't followed the AT subdomain renaming very closely, so when I looked at the games in the thematic subdomain this morning out of curiosity, CE seemed the odd one out. In my idea it didn't belong in a category named thematic because it seems highly abstract (though not exactly an abstract game).

Why when trying to name a subdivision of games anything but Amerithrash do we hold on to the category itself? It only means something to BoardGameGeeks. Why not shuffle everything and create new subdomains that have nothing to do with the terms AT/Eurogame?

The geeks here have a vested interest in the board game hobby, and there's nothing wrong with their views shaping the organization of the site. Squeamish people might not like the Ameritrash name, but the category makes sense given the experiences of heavy users of the site. Many people who favor Ameritrash (now thematic) games have a history with Cosmic Encounter and find that its space combat theme fits well with the combat themes of many Ameritrash games.

People's experiences weigh heavily in how they talk about games, and thus in how the games are categorized, regardless of how the games look apart from their histories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the special exceptions to the rules that are so central to CE are traditionally associated with Ameritrash, not Euros. Agricola and Race for the Galaxy depart from traditional Euro mechanics by introducing these elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Because At fans have laid claim to Cosmic Encounter and euro fans couldn't be bothered to care... And the Thematic games domain isn't really about theme at all. It's a euphemism for AT.

Strictly speaking Cosmic Encounter is way more like euros mechanically. The only AT features are player powers and direct conflict - which is only more or less direct, a bit more than your average worker placement and a bit less than your average wargame...

Which begs the question why heavily themed conflict simulations are not Thematic Games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
For me, the answer is "HELL YEAH!" If I was to point to the major failing in the Subdomain approach (other than a minority of loud users takin' a major shit on it), it's the fact that so many of the hardcore Strategy game look down on chance as a valuable aspect of a game. Look at the game of Cosmic, you have a story. Compare it to Arkham Horror at its most basic level, and I think you'll realize it's not very much different...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People seem to make the assumption that every game fits in at least one sub-domain. But there is really no reason to think that. I think there are plenty of games that really don't fit that well in any of these categories.

The way things are set up, those games are probably even more likely to show up in multiple categories.

Cosmic Encounter? I don't know where it should go. It seems to appeal most to fans of Ameritrash, so I'd put it in there (and our substitute for that genre is "Thematic"). The sub-domains are most useful if they can capture a group of games that appeal to a common population. I think a lot of people are voting the way they think the games should end up groups...even if that doesn't exactly fit the terminology.

The shame of it would be if, for example, commonly accepted Ameritrash games (and you could do this with any of several groups) get split among numerous sub-domains. I think an effort to resist that outcome is why Cosmic Encounter shows up in "Thematic".

Its all just words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siggins
England
Bexhill
SUSSEX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most games can tell a story. The quality and believability of that story varies.

I look forward to several billion words arguing the toss on which game fits which box!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
CE is definitelty not theme-driven. It's rules-driven. The aliens are based on different ways you can tweak the rules mechanics.

That said, it is definitely not a Euro. It's Ameri- all the way. It's got combat, direct conflict, luck of cards, plastic and cardboard, you aren't building anything or trying to win the favor of anybody. The game predates the whole Euro "genre".

Sure, you could call it a "proto-Euro" if you want to, but that's because just about *every* Ameri-game is a "proto-Euro."

Why is CE placed under "Thematic"? Because the admins creating these categories have no idea what they're doing (at least in this area).

The difference between Ameri- and Euro has nothing to do with Theme-vs-Mechanics or Strategy-vs-Luck-or-something-else. Theme and mechanics play a part in both Ameri- and Euro-. Strategy plays a part in both Ameri- and Euro-. The difference is in what kinds of themes and what kinds of mechanics and what kinds of strategy.

Ameri- has war, direct conflict, violence, explosions, weapons, aggression.

Euro- has building, indirect conflict, auctions, economics, favor, aggriculture.

Both have nukes - but in Ameri-, they're nuclear bombs, and in Euro- they're nuclear power plants. That's the difference.

Ameri- = Euro + Violence - extraneous stuff that you no longer need to keep the game interesting.
Euro- = Ameri - Violence + additional stuff you need to make the game interesting.

There is no greater depth to the difference than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mika R.
Finland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sumo wrote:
Most games can tell a story. The quality and believability of that story varies.

I look forward to several billion words arguing the toss on which game fits which box!

Exactly, that's why I have been suggesting another definition for the thematic:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/527245/request-for-renam...

Perhaps a proper compromise for this category would eventually be:

Thematic and story driven games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cosmic Encounter is not thematic. Thematic is just a word derk dreamt about to replace Ameritrash. The choice was between that and R'lyeh or Fhtagn.

rri1 wrote:
[...]

That is arguable. I like the following rule of thumb: "Do I have to talk to other players to win?" In CE this is most certainly the case. In other typical euros, it is not. (Unless you count bidding as talking..;) The destiny card also doesn't indicate the player to attack, only the system. After the first one or two turns there should be a choice which player to attack.

Of course CE compares much more to a game like Settlers instead of, say, Twilight Imperium. But even Settlers isn't considered a eurogame any more, now it's a "family game". So it's really an argument which definition of euro one follows. If euro means Settlers then CE could be considered "proto-euro", however, if euro means Caylus/Power Grid/Princes of Florence then it's most certainly not.

Currently "thematic games" is a synonym of Ameritrash. Over time this will likely change. I wouldn't be surprised if CE was a "strategy game" or even "family game" tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Folks that weren't gaming throughout the 80's are going to have trouble understanding this niche (and you are right it isn't represented by what's been set up). It's cluster is actually closer to wargame than strategic/Euro or ameritrash/thematic. By clustering users and similar likes their group is games like:

Cosmic Encounter
Civilization
Titan
Dune
Kremlin
History of the World
Britannia
Empires in Arms
Up Front
Squad Leader
Republic of Rome
Ambush!
Here I Stand

note its vintage wargames that are social/interacting (i.e. kingmaking happens) yet emphasizing strategy, mostly multiplayer, and more mechanics driven (innovative or new mechanics -- less about theme/simulation).

I cant give you a nice one word label for it because our hobby doesn't have one. However the math of clustering clearly (and indisputably) sets it up and defines it.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/25229/item/507480#item...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.