Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: A hobby begins rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Ross
United States
Mission Viejo
CA
flag msg tools
mb
I used to think I was pretty much on top of everything the gaming world had to offer.

Throughout my life I've loved playing games -- mostly video games -- starting with the original Nintendo Entertainment System I've missed few "must-have" titles over the years. I also played a fair amount of Chess, Risk, and Monopoly whenever I could find opponents.

Recently though, I started to become very jaded. Anyone who's been close to the videogame industry has noticed a trend toward Franchise-building. The idea is no longer to create a good game, but a good Franchise that can spawn several sequels. Developing a video game is expensive and a sequel to a best-seller is a surefire way to keep a company in the black.

Unfortunately, it's gone too far. It seems like 90% of new releases (and virtually ALL of the 'killer-aps') are now sequels. Normally a sequel is better than the game before it, but doesn't break much new ground. The games get boring quicker and quicker with each passing year.

Around this time I happily acquired a copy of Lord of the Rings Monopoly. I played a few games with my family, and we enjoyed it well enough -- but as must happen with Monopoly, the game got old pretty fast. My younger sister told me she heard of a game called Triopoly, which had a ton more properties and therefore must be much more fun. So, off to Amazon.com I went to find a copy.

Well, what did I find while I was there? A list popped up that was all about these things called Euro Boardgames. I had never heard of such a thing. The first game on the list was Settlers of Catan, which I noted had a ton of reviews and a 5-star rating. I decided to add it to my cart along with Triopoly. The rest of the story practically tells itself.

I had no idea this entire world of fantastic boardgames existed. I had spent my entire youth up until now (at age 21/22) believing that Risk was just about as good as it got as far as boardgames go. I'm tossing the videogames (well, most of them) aside for now to immerse myself in this fantastic hobby.

My collection has now grown to include both Settlers expansions, Betrayal at House on the Hill (probably a silly second game to get what with all the Games of the Year I've never played but hey, Halloween was coming), and Heroscape. Ticket to Ride is in the mail.

I'm so thrilled to have found this hobby, and STILL can't believe it eluded me for so long. This site existed in 2000? Why oh WHY did I not stumble onto it until late 2004? I feel like I must catch up!

I won't ask for suggestions for my next games to get because there are too many highly-praised games that I've barely looked into around here. But mark my words, this is the beginning of something I just know I'm going to love for the rest of my life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ross
United States
Mission Viejo
CA
flag msg tools
mb
Triopoly vs. Catan
One thing I forgot to mention. Since that fateful purchase, Triopoly has gotten one play. Guess how many Settlers has had? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!
We've all gotten started and re-started in the hobby somewhere. Sure we missed some titles on the way that are now hard to get but there are so many good games available now that you'll never want for choices of what to buy next! Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deleted User
msg tools
badge
Your wallet is weeping
Welcome to our obsession.

I don't miss my PS2 too much. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Warrell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
PC > Consoles
I, however, am forced to balance my meagre spare time between my PC games and my boardgames - i think that PC games, while suffering from the same "franchise-building" as console games, are inherently deeper and more immersive (not to mention more diverse, technically superior and multi-player focused).

Until the cloning machine comes along I'll just have to continue living on coffee and too little sleep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I forgot to mention. Since that fateful purchase, Triopoly has gotten one play. Guess how many Settlers has had? laugh

Two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deleted User
msg tools
badge
PC =/= Consoles
PC > Consoles

It depends. If you're talking RPG or adventure games, flight simulators, turn-based strategy games and a couple of genres I hate (FPS and RTS), then I'll agree with you.

However, the PC can't hold a candle to the consoles in fighting games, shooters, sports games and action games (like Time Crisis and DDR). Nor do I think does it aspire to - the platform just doesn't handle those games well. (I used to play mostly fighting games on my PS2, plus a lot of Gran Turismo and some turn-based strategy. And the odd Japanese RPG-on-rails.) Which reminds me that I haven't even touched Disgaea and Front Mission 4, which are still both in shrink... Damn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Von Ahnen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lesson not learned?
It is interesting because as I was reading about the description I was thinking that the last few Euro games I have played have all started to look the same, as did the last few wargames.

I remember when Columbia came out with their first block games, and every body was playing them. Now they have to wait until they get enough preorders before they build the next one. I think the lesson should be that you can only build on the past for so long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, it's a dark glorious road you're on now
Welcome to the addiction, welcome to the desire, welcome to the fun!

This is a wonderful (and expensive) hobby that's great for buildiing time with friends and family...your board games will last for years!!

Don't feel you have to rush out and get every game availible. Read up, ask questions, play some when you can before you buy them, and you'll start to get a feel for what you like. Then buy ones you really want and that will get played.

You don't need every game out there in truth, but you'll probably find many you'll convince yourself that you need (at least I have). laugh

Have fun! The 'geeks a good place and there are wonderful people here; honestly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, youth!
Jason, do not bemoan the lost years that you spent in ignorance for you still have so many, many years to play. Think how I (and several others) must feel when we are twice as old as you and just discovering this great addiction/hobby! Still, you can only be greatful you're here now, and pass along the knowledge you've acquired to others who are less fortunate! laugh

Welcome, Jason, and a big cheer for your sister for without her you would still be walking around blind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haberman
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same story here.

I actually sold my Gamecube on ebay so I could buy more boardgames!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sommer
Denmark
copenhagen downtown
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
meanwhile in the emperor's game room ...
A cowled figure leans across the gaming table his face disfigured with glee as another older t-shirted gamer lies whezzing on the table behind his game shield

"Good .Good , my young apprentice .Your hate and greed have made you a strong player .Now use that power & egoism and strike down your mentor, take your green leader and place it in his region with his green leader and your journey to the egotistic side shall be complete!"

Jason ponders and then looks up determined

" No never , I'm going to build a monument in red and blue and cause a external conflict between your kingdom and mine." jason proudly announces

"You have failed greg! I am a cocky gamer like my mentor before me" says jason cockily

Cranky looks up from behind his gaming shield "what? did I miss something?"

The cowled greg leers " so be it ..cocky gamer!"

The emperor flips the board up scattering tiles everywhere and storms off......"bloody game!! " he wails

sorry I was bored..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Wow
I don't miss my PS2 too much.

Wow, you still have one of them old IBMs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
board vs. screen
Sequels? No you'd never see that in a board game... Well, maybe Rise and Decline of the Third Reich, but most board games do "expansions" instead. You'll begin to observe repetitions of theme and mechanics after a while, but I do think there is more diversity and flexibility when it comes to board games. Also, the quality of the experience is entirely different, at least for me. When I spend a few hours playing a board game, I usually come out of it feeling good and looking forward to trying new strategies next time. When I (used to) spend a few hours playing a computer game, I come out of it with a sore neck and the bitter feeling that I've wasted my day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EuroQuest
If you're in the area, be sure to attend EuroQuest this weekend:

http://euroquest.gamesclubofmd.org/

It has open gaming, plus tournaments with demo games, so you can learn and play lots of games to discover which ones need your money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Triopoly
Guess how many games of Triopoly I've played? That's right. One eight hour game that wasn't even finished was enough for me. Oddly I still have it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.