GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,844 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Still pursuing the ideal solo combo! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesteday played solo with two investigators, and having the mythos phase every other round.

Not sure if it was too easy, but managed to seal 6 gates with the doom track only on 6 (out of 12) and the terror track on 4. I did have a elder seal card early on though.

I think I might try 2 investigators and normal mythos phases, but let them choose their initial startup cards and spells (so they could be more mobile, as I read here that the biggest problem with 1 or 2 investigators is not being able to get round the board quick enough)>

Does anyone play with 2 investigators "straight" with no rule changes, and still win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I play 4 with 1 big box and 1 small box straight up and it seems to work out pretty well. It's well suited for Dunwich + King in Yellow or Dark Pharaoh. Other combos I have less experience with, but imagine they'd work fine. The second most combo experience I have is Kingsport + King in Yellow and that works okay. Kingsport is such a stinker though... I have Innsmouth & Black Goat yet to try out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I only play with 2 investigators. We win about every 5th or 6th game but it's nearly always very close. Usually down to the last gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
The fundamental currency of Arkham is turns per mythos phase. 1 gate opens each mythos phase. It requires 3 player turns to close it - 1 to move there, 1 to move to the second space, 1 to move back and close it. So, 3 player turns per mythos phase is "breaking even"... 4 means you are getting ahead, 2 means you are always coming up short.

Thus, the game should be break even difficulty at 3... 4 if you want to account for misfortunes, 2 if you want to challenge yourself to need some good luck to win.

When I have played solo, it's usually with 2 investigators... sometimes 1. Because I'm all masochistic like that. The suggestion of base game + small box with 3 would be pretty good... very challenging, even with a good set of investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Zaoist
msg tools
mb
I often play solo with one investigator. I'm using Dunwich, Kingsport and Dark Pharaoh, but I'm not using the additionnal boards, as it makes too much ground to cover for a poor and lonely investigator. To even things out, I sometimes add a Guardian, but I also play with all the Mask monsters, which can make things worse. Besides that, one can say I'm playing the game "straight", and winning has not been proven impossible.

Also, some investigators seem to be better suited for solo play than others - or some investigators are simply better in general, especially the Kingsport ones...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often play solo with 3 investigators just using Base + Black Goat, although thinking about adding in Dunwich.

Tried just 1 and 2 Investigators but found I couldn't win even just using the base game.

With 3 Investigators I find I usually win 1 out of 3 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Thorne
United States
Valley Park
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The last time I played solo I used three characters. It was tight, but I pulled it out with a victory by sealed gates. I used the main box + Dunwich. I found four characters to be a little easy. I'm a little afraid to try two characters, as that seems like it would be very hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.