GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,270 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Horus Heresy (2010)» Forums » Rules

Subject: "Rank" vs "Rating" plus its effect on Mortarion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi guys

I just played my first game of HH. It was really good fun, but I had a question that you guys may be able to answer:

Is there a difference between Combat Rank and Combat Rating?

Rank is defined in the glossary and is specified in the index. Rating is not.

Combat Rating as a term is referenced via Mortarions special ability (which is where we had the most issues with it).

Also for example it is referenced on p.26: "Preparing to fight: to determine how many cards to draw each player sums the combat ratings of his engaged units".

Is Rank a different thing to Rating, or is it just an unfortunate confluence of terms which should have been removed during editing?

These terms all have a strong bearing on how a number of rules work, most immediately with Mortarions special rule. As it stands Mortarion seems to be extremely potent.

Am I reading too much into this? Does Rank simply have the exact same meaning as Rating? If so, then why use different terminology?

Any help would be appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Murray
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my interpretation but I've played four times and played that Mortarion's 'rating' debuff is the same as combat rank. It makes the most sense and rating is not mentioned anywhere else in the rules or bits. I think it's a mix up of terms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the prompt response Brian.

That was also the conclusion that we came to, despite the fact that that makes Mortarion probably the most dangerous Primarch, in a possibly disproportionately powerful way.

Thank you for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.