Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Calling all Geeks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barrie Kean
United Kingdom
HULL
East Yorkshire, England
flag msg tools
Dear Friends, I am looking for help and advice. As can be seen from the submission of my new game onto the database (It's called Snookerolla Snookerooka), and by my journals giving details of the basics of the game, and my web site, (and can also be seen in the BBG Marketplace) I have invented, and had manufactured a new board game. People who I know who have played it, have enjoyed playing it (this is not wishful thinking on my part, I have actually seen and experienced them enjoying themselves playing it), adults and children alike. Infact it is a great learning tool for kids, with the use of colours, simple mental arithmatic, counting and interactive play. A good family game as well. Now here's where I would like any advice that anyone can offer:- How do I publicise the game when I have very limited funds? I spent most of my money in getting the game produced. I've got 'Cryptonite' (so to speak) but how do I tell the people about it? Any ideas? OK, you could say, "well you should have thought about that before doing it." But if we all followed that view, then yes, we would keep our money, but nothing would ever get made, unless it was sanctioned by the big established companies. They only launch a handful of games each year, and we are dictated to, by what they think is good for us. They decide what we will like and do. This snuffs out the wider area of creativity and choice of games available to us. Only a fraction of games ever see light, due to the control they have. They probably don't agree with people like me who go it alone, who they cannot control. Any views? I look forward to anyones comments and advice. Cheers, Barrie Kean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Persson
Sweden
Linköping
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$10 gets you 10.000 impressions of an ad here at BoardGameGeek. Those are pretty sure to hit people who are interested in gamers.

Have a look at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/admgr.php3?action=buyad for more information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Reviewed.
If you can spare a few review copies, send them to some of the 'big name" reviewers, like Rick Thornquist (rthornqu), Patrick Korner (PatK), Tom Vasel (TomVasel) or Greg Sclhoesser (gschloesser), who all write for the gamewire at www.gamefest.com (their reviews and comments appear here regularly, as well).

You can expect a fair and balanced review from any of these gentlemen, though I'd contact them directly first to see if any are interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Next time, get preorders before production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Snooker
I assume you game is based on snooker. This is going to be hard sell in America. Find out where plays snooker and concentrate on those areas (i.e. UK, Australia, Cannada, Thailand, can't really think of anywhere else). Are there any UK based game reviewers?

Have you tried the search engines - some you can pay for putting you in a list and for getting hits.

How about advertising in the local paper first? Could also try snooker halls - you could put adverts on boards or try and find some online links.

Game conventions would be a good place to set up shop - or at least advertise or visit plugging the game out of a suitcase (think Del Boy).

You could also try local game shops - don't know the economics of these but they might stock a few if you beg nicely.

Good luck (hope you haven't remortgaged the house!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.