Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Is there a game that you can play while driving? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Lin
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We will be moving in a month. The driving will take around 20 hours. My wife and I are looking for a few games that we can play while driving. Is there such a game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Warrell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
ignore me....
chicken!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Persson
Sweden
Linköping
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Various trivia games, as long as the board is of a reasonable size and you trust her to do your moving while you drive. Or even better, get a travel version of something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
The ultimate travel game - Ghost (or better yet, Superghost).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Taylor
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pub cricket: best in the UK but there are other places it works.

http://www.pub-cricket.de/overview.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Taylor
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've successfully played Monopoly with a laptop and four people in the car. There's not too much that's important to remember or visually see, and no secret knowledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Taylor
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
or "I'm not Botticelli"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heres one: The "keep your eyes and mind on the road so you get there alive" game. It's easy to play and it's scales well ... your wife can play too. There is an expansion out called "find a clean bathroom every 4 to 6 hours". There's also a variant where you switch drivers every so often...

It's not a beer-and-pretzels kind of game but I have heard it called a coffee-and-doughnuts game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat H
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Crack the Case isn't much of a "game", but we ahve had fun solving the puzzles during long car trips. Reminds me of the puzzles we used to get during long hikes as a kid...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S fessey
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
US
I'm guessing you're in the US. If you drove 20 hours anywhere in the UK you'd be in the sea. Then, of course, you could play all manner of games. Fishy car car; Sunken Treasure; Watery Families...etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Uherske
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Encore is a published game that is based on a game we used to play while driving. One person thinks of a word, then you take turns producing song titles with that word in it. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Electronic catchphrase is fun, and you don't even have to break down into teams if you don't want to -- one person can just feed clues to the other to guess.

Also, I haven't tried it, but the MindTrap games might be good. The puzzles will exercise your brain, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Cows & Cemeteries
Count all of the cows you see on your side of the road, your wife counts the ones on her side of the road. If there is a cemetary on your side of the road, you lose all of your cows. Whoever has the most cows when you reach your destination wins.

Also "Eye Spy" is always fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I see something red...

Actually I like the cows & cemeteries game better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
United States
Addison
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slug bug!
add in Toy boat, and you got a punch fest.

OR, adults can play "spank the children while driving", while the children at the same time play "are we there yet?" Winner is last one to not suffer a mental breakdown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always the old standby -- 20 Questions.

Is it bigger than a breadbasket?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
YES!
Check out this one. harder for the driver but do-able
called Rubber Neckers.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0811822176/102...

Josh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Theres allways the letter game:

Each start with A and have to find a complete, real word/proper noun someowhere outside your car that starts with that letter. When you find a letter, move on to the next one. First person to find a Z wins. Unless your insane, skip X.

Example:
I found an Applebees
I found "bus" on a sign that said Bus stop
Then she found an Avalance (like on the side of a chevvy)
Then I found...etc...etc..etc..

Sometimes gets boring afterwhile

Hey, theres allways Highway bingo (all you need is a pen and paper).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Peek
United States
Preston
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Twenty Questions is a good game for travelling. I can usually get my wife to play this when we are on a long drive. With my 3-year old daughter, the favorite travel game is I Spy With My Little Eye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Urination Frequency
4-6 hours is too long? Gee my wife must be well-trained. (I hope she doesn't read that or I'm in big trouble...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy O'Neal
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cows and Cemetaries
We always played that a church doubled your cows... but the person who doesn't claim the church should look for a cemetary with the church... you either double you cows the lose them... or lose them the double them... either way you end up with none.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy O'Neal
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two Other Games... Actually Ended Up as Three More Games
Two other games we used to play when we were kids... The License Plate Game... try to find plates from as many states as you can... the passenger writes down each person's list, and the person who saw the most is the winner... We traveled to California and back ny car when I was 8... and we managed to see all 50 state license plated on the trip... it took 6 weeks with sightseeing and all.

The second game is where you write a list of a specific number of items that each of you has to find (usually separate lists for each person)... try to keep it to simple things like a Red Dodge Caravan or a sign for a national restaurant or something like that... The first one to find eberything on their list is the winner.

With a 20 hour drive, I know you must be driing halfway across the country... Have fun looking at the landscape... That is the most fun part about traveling in the USA.

Oh, one more game I remembered... We also played Punch Bug when we traveled out west... My dad and I each counted all the VW Beetles we saw, and kept count throughout the entire trip... My dad won, since he did a lot of the driving... but one of my favorite memories still is the night when I had found one more total than him throughout the trip... Of course, looking back now, he was trying to make me feel good, which definitely worked, since I remember that day over 27 years later.

You could use any type of vehicle that stands out for the both of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Dziuba
United States
Scurry
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Car Fun
I saw this MPEG of a game being played in a car by Pamela Anderson and Tommy Lee. It looked to be fun, at least Tommy had a smile on his face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Cheyne
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Any of the Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective games. The passengers would have to do all the reading and note taking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.