GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,483 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Summoner Wars: Master Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Third player penalty in 4-player game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivan Kolev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I played my first game with 4 players, the other 3 being completely new to the game. The only complaint (besides dice luck ) was that the 3rd player hit the 4th so hard that the latter claimed he couldn't recover for the whole game (he just kept striving to survive).

Given that in the first few turns the game is pretty much two one-on-one games and the second player can't do much to hurt the third one, isn't it a good idea to apply some penalty to the third player as well as to the first one?

Ivan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Meredith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Having only played one four player game, I don't have too much to say on this (yet!). One thing that seemed to work in that game was having the second player strike against the third, setting up his partner to either shore up the line against the first player or press hard on the third.

Certainly, any penalty levied on player three would have to be light, since the fourth player should start with a full hand and some magic to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Dauch
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your style of play in the 4 player game is creating a problem this seems like a reasonable thing to house rule in. In our 4 player games we didn't really experience a problem. Maybe because the 4 player game has the advantage of a teammate helping out if you are falling behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kolev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it was a particularly unlucky game for the dwarves (player 2) and elves (player 4)... The goblins (pl.1) and orcs (pl.3) had a strong start, the dice were definitely on their side, that's why the dwarves never managed to help the elves out because they had a hard time themselves. Still, the game was not too unbalanced, because the dwarves and elves also had their strong moments.
I hope we'll play a lot more to build our own experience with this. Maybe moving just 2 instead of 3 units would be a sufficient penalty for player 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Dauch
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ikolev wrote:
Maybe it was a particularly unlucky game for the dwarves (player 2) and elves (player 4)... The goblins (pl.1) and orcs (pl.3) had a strong start, the dice were definitely on their side, that's why the dwarves never managed to help the elves out because they had a hard time themselves. Still, the game was not too unbalanced, because the dwarves and elves also had their strong moments.
I hope we'll play a lot more to build our own experience with this. Maybe moving just 2 instead of 3 units would be a sufficient penalty for player 3.

Sounds reasonable. Let us know how you like it. Thanks for playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a team game I played today, player 4 was the last one standing.

Go-go anecdotal evidence!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Dauch
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jexik wrote:
In a team game I played today, player 4 was the last one standing.

Go-go anecdotal evidence!

Player 4 was a jerk. (Player 4 was Jexik... I was on the losing team)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of giving the first team the penalty on Turn 1. We house-ruled that one a LONG time ago with my game group.

It just makes more sense to me. Whatever logic is argued for giving the 1st player a penalty against the 2nd player in a two-player game, that same general logic applies between the 3rd and 4th player -- because like you said, for the first couple of turns, it's basically two side-by-side 2-player games.

Yes, player 4 has a teammate to help him out, but so does the other side of the conflict, so that argument completely cancels out of the equation.

Anyway, that's just my take on it. I'm not petitioning for an "official" rule change or anything, because I don't think it's that big of a deal. I'm just letting the OP know that he's not the only one who noticed this issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.